Where to spend my money

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

McGilli

by McGilli

For me - it was all about buying a frame that excites me - and makes me want to ride. I understand that many people say that certain frames geometry doesn't work with their bodies etc - but at the same time - remember - once you find a frame you love - you have bars with different drop and reach lengths, you can place your levers in different positions on the bars, stems with different length and drop angle, seat posts with different setback, saddles that can be adjusted every which way, different width tires for different comfort, different height using spacers for stem/bars and of course different frame sizes.

So at your LBS a bike that rides worse than another might not be because of the frame, but because of the components. It makes it tough sometimes :)

Again - just me - but I've found that it's usually not a problem to make any frame comfortable for my body by just choosing the right components. (A LBS that works with you in this area is awesome to have!)

So - it came down to which frame I wanted to build around.. the frame that inspires me to get out there... But I'm a superficial person :)

Hope it all works out, good luck!

Marin

by Marin

If you can reach your desired fit, there will be basically no difference between the frames. Damping and stiffness at this level is marketing bla noone is able to feel. A 200g weigh saving also makes no real difference unless you are counting every second.

Bottom line, get the frame you like most. No need for long test rides - they will only prove the tire pressure and saddle/bar position is dialled in correctly, and you can do this on any correctly sized frame.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

nibby

by nibby

have to disagree with that one. Their is a difference, some people can feel it I suppose and some cant? An example. I've just gone out of my way and tested both a supersix hm which was great, thought this is the bike for me etc etc until I jumped on a c60 last weekend. I'm now I'm going for the C60 as it was the better fitting bike and the geometry suited me more than the SS - handling was way better IMO and it put a smile on my face that is still on :)

Also had a short ride on a new zero7 which was for me too stiff and sharp. Some people love that.

I agree about weight as the ss was the lighter bike but the C60 for me was the better bike.

I'm spending money that I can only just afford, so getting it right is the key and I'm glad I spent a bit more time/effort doing this.

If there is an option to try both I would 100% go for that as you might just have the same response as me and wont have any niggling in the back of your mind that you went for the wrong one.

Also from my experience going by the size charts doesn't always help. I'm currently riding a caadx which if I went from the cannondale sizing charts would have been too big for me. How do I know? As you can tell from the above I like to test :)

sawyer

by sawyer

But Di2 and the frame you want - as MrGray said, you'll end up spending the cash eventually

DO NOT buy Boras for a Di2 bike. Ridiculous. Be patient and wait for the Fulcrum equivalent. Again, you'll wish you had in 9 months time when your frankenbike looks passe.
----------------------------------------
Stiff, Light, Aero - Pick Three!! :thumbup:

mimason

by mimason

^Rediculous. Tons of Campy riders use DA pedals and can Shimano users no longer ride Zipp due to SRAM?

Frankenbike I've done as well. Road DA brakes on a mostly Sram red bike , Praxis rings, force FD. who cares. Cred comes from the legs not posers. Not saying you are one but just respectfully disagree with having to match the purse with shoes.

sawyer

by sawyer

mimason wrote:^Rediculous. Tons of Campy riders use DA pedals and can Shimano users no longer ride Zipp due to SRAM?

Frankenbike I've done as well. Road DA brakes on a mostly Sram red bike , Praxis rings, force FD. who cares. Cred comes from the legs not posers. Not saying you are one but just respectfully disagree with having to match the purse with shoes.

Easy to say and feel good about it ... but why be on this forum then. This forum is not about the legs ... it's about the bikes ....

Most of the posts on here in respect of members' builds are about aesthetics

Shimano and Campagnolo mis-mash is just that ...

Avoid
----------------------------------------
Stiff, Light, Aero - Pick Three!! :thumbup:

Jmdesignz2

by Jmdesignz2

I vote Ultegra Di2 and the frame you like the looks of the best. :) Then save up money for some amazing wheels