Where to spend my money

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

CanadianBiker

by CanadianBiker

I've been shopping bikes for the last 2 months and I seem to be getting more confused and not getting a clearer image. I am turning to you guys in the hope to find the right answer.

I have a pretty fix budget but I am unsure where I should focus my money.

Should I go with a higher end frame such as an F8, K8-S or a C60 and equip the bike in Ultegra DI2 or is that blasphemy? Or Should I get a cheaper frame and put DA Di2? I can't afford one of these type end frames and equipping the bike with DA DI2. The other option is I could drop the DI2 but go mechanical but I test road DI2 bikes and really loved the system.

I'm also noticing that a few stores are charging me 500-1000$ disc components is that normal?

mrgray

by mrgray

@CanadianBiker - just my two cents

you should spend the money on what you want. if you don't do that now, you'll end up doing it eventually.

so if your strongest preference for a bike is for di2, then prioritise that.

there are lots of great frames that are cheaper than an f8 or c60. for example the ridley helium sl. people rave about that frame. and it is close to half the price.

remember to save money for wheels. can i recommend bora one's? hard to beat.

are you putting disc brakes on this bike? if so why? also it is a newer technology so you'll be limited in choices (wheels for example) and it doesn't fit with your stated goal of high end and yet restricted budget.

what about second hand? could be a great way to achieve 75% of what you want for a lot less than brand new.
Bobo S&S Steel Bike - 7.5 kg
Oltre XR2- 6.6 kg
Look 585 - 6.8 kg
Look 695 SR :D

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

mike
Resident Pro

by mike

i would get the di2. it is flawless. better than campy in terms of user friendliness and all around neatness in terms of cables. also easily programmed.

mimason

by mimason

In this order:

frame
wheels
components

If you can swing your budget for an F8(or other), nice wheels and Ui2 then that is what I would recommend. As other suggested you can get a really nice frame for less than an F8/C60 etc. The frame and wheels is what you will notice the most though. Often times the shifting disappears over time if well adjusted and you can upgrade these components over time. I rented a bike with 105 recently and it worked fine. It shifted and the brakes worked well.

MNX1024

by MNX1024

Just something to keep in mind between Ultegra Di2 and Dura Ace Di2. They both have the exact same shifting performance. As I have both, I can't tell the difference. The only differences between the two are 200 gram lighter, two buttons on top of the shifters, and aesthetic. The advantage of those two buttons on the shifters is that you can control your Garmin if you have a D-Fly unit.

CanadianBiker

by CanadianBiker

Thank you for the feedback....

I know this is stupid to say but only the 3 frames mentioned really get me excited and it's why I was debating equipping them with cheaper components. The F8, K8-S and C60 are real beauties in my mind... I will look at the 2nd hand market but in Canada this is a very limited space. I am glad to see that building one of these bikes with cheaper components isn't a horrible idea. I was looking at the Enve classics wheels as they are almost 1000$ cheaper then the Enve 3.8 and I can't find any stores in Montreal that really sells the Bora wheels.

Having done a 230km ride this weekend I am starting to think Disc breaks aren't as important as I use too. I would prioritize DI2 over disc right now, not sure it is the right decision.

Thank you for the feedback and appreciate any other comments.

MNX1024

by MNX1024

If you're also looking for carbon clinchers, I highly recommend these:

http://www.novemberbicycles.com/rail/

aaric

by aaric

Buy the top end frame and put 6870 on it. You can easily add the shifters and derailleurs for Dura-ace later. Or just buy the shifters now for the buttons on top.

All the battery, cables, and junctions for ultegra and dura ace di2 (6870 and 9070) are the same. Swapping out the derailleurs is easier than mechanical, and resale on the ultegra parts is decent. There's about 150 grams difference between ultegra and dura-ace (crankset excluded). A top end frameset will save you about that vs a second tier frame. Cost will be about the same....and other groupsets will come along.

For me, I've always kept a top end frame longer than a second tier one: I get less upgrade-itis that way.

russianbear

by russianbear

As everyone says, buy the fancy frame set your heart desires and put Uldi2 on it, then spend the remainder on wheels.

CanadianBiker

by CanadianBiker

I really appreciate everyones feedback now I need to figure out which frame I prefer...

wheelsONfire

by wheelsONfire

Surely there are more frames than C60 and F8?
The most hyped up and expensive, no real weight benefit.
In a few years second hand market ough to be plastered with these as it comes new stuff all the time.
Bikes:

Ax Lightness Vial EVO Race (2019.01.03)
Open *UP* (2016.04.14)
Paduano Racing Fidia (kind of shelved)

Ex bike; Vial EVO D, Vial EVO Ultra, Scott Foil, Paduano ti bike.

ricey155

by ricey155

Spend your money once if you love cycling and its for life !! I would have saved money buying the best rather than something to fit a budget - 4 bikes = 1 top end Inc kit and upgrades I'm losing money on going top end from day 1 :-(

Buy the best you can afford

Sent from my MI PAD using Tapatalk

kgt

by kgt

You' ve seen today that an F8 can give you a 1 min advantage on a 7 km climb 8)
All joking aside just buy the frame that 1. fits you the best and 2. you like its design the most.

CanadianBiker

by CanadianBiker

It's extremely hard to know which frames fits you best when all my LBS permit me to do is ride it for an hour. I have to say both frames felt great and each have their advantages, I even really liked the V1-R but again it doesn't drive me wild from a look perspective as the other 2. I don't claim to be an expert like many here, I've only been riding for 2 years and I will ride about 5k this year. I had an Evo for the first 6 weeks and then switch to a Synapse Carbon 3 with Ultegra (the Evo was a loaner from a friend). I'm 37 years old, I'm not going to be racing and I really enjoy rides between 40-250kms at 28-35km/h. I did a 230km ride this weekend to conquer cancer (fundraiser) on my synapse and loved it. I was just jealous looking at all the other gorgeous machines on the road thinking to myself I want a new bike!

I will hook up my Synapse to my kicker and use it mostly for Zwift or as my commuter when we move into our new offices that have showers.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

nibby

by nibby

You need to decide on 2-3 you think might be suitable for whatever you want it for then try and test each one. If the LBS will let you try each one for an hour each that is pretty good tbh. I've never seen any let you try it for longer than a spin around the car park unless they have a specific event for test rides.

If you think you will need it for longer then go direct to the importers and ask if they have one to test or if they can send one to a local shop for you to try. The shop might charge you a small amount but normally they deduct this from the bike if you buy and tbh if you are thinking of testing bikes in this price range then it's more than worth doing and spending time doing it.

If the LBS have the two you want and you can test for an hour each back to back then tbh this should be enough for you to know what you prefer.

Geometry and how it feels is the most important but it also needs to look good if you are not using it for racing :)

Good luck in whatever you choose and if it comes down to the Pin and Colnago then you cant really go wrong.