2015 Felt Z3 New to Weight Weenie

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

Suzuka

by Suzuka

Hi All,

I thought it would just be easier to introduce myself here. Since I am on a Weenie mission.

I live in South Hampshire (Winchester).

I fell into Road Cycling about a year ago after some of my family had managed to get my on a bike.... I loved it!

Earlier this year I purchased my first, (in my opinion) decent Road Bike. 2015 Felt Z3. I have since stuck about 800/1,000 miles on her. A great, powerful ride that really allows me to push myself.

So, my Weenie adventure. When purchasing the bike I was very happy with the Factory spec. But now I'm starting to get into the detail, I want to shed the pounds (well, grams).

The bike currently weights in at 7,920g dry. No cage, mounts etc. Inc Ti peddles.

My rough goal is to drop a 1,000g and to get the weight down inline with a family member's Canyon Ultimate SLX 8.0 to which we have weighed in at 6,940g dry, inc Ti Clip ins.

Both bikes run a full CF frame & Ultegra Groupset. The Canyon, being the slightly higher factory spec, with a slightly lighter bare frame (but cost £800 more from new in Aug 2014).

In light of which I have been slowly putting together a table giving me a scenario to achieve my weenie goal whilst keeping the £££ in sight. What do people think? Could I improve anywhere? For the weight to £ ratio?

Thanks & This Forum is proving addictive with some great info!

Frankie - B
Admin - In the industry

by Frankie - B

Wow, great mission. Welcome to the board!

Your goal is clear, but you might need to read some on here to gather info on some components. The ebay cf bars you mention, are you realy sure you want cheap knock offs? If I were you I'd choose a brand bar or pick an alloy one. The wheels, please check if the wheels that you listed are clinchers and not tubulars. Unless you want to ride tubulars, of course.
I'd keep looking at 25mm wide rubber, just because of better grip and lower rolling resistance.

Other then that, the list is pretty good.
'Tape was made to wrap your GF's gifts, NOT hold a freakin tire on.'
If you want to see 'meh' content of me and my bike you can follow my life in pictures here!

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Suzuka

by Suzuka

Hi! Thanks for the Welcome!

I have just double checked, silly me (I should have known better) the wheels were tubulars! :(

These were my backup choice, can these be run on a 25mm tyre? Or only 23mm? http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Only-1390g-Ul ... 35e4d14152

I take your advice re; bars and will look a little harder!
Last edited by Frankie - B on Mon Jul 13, 2015 12:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: removed the quote. please use the reply button in stead.

Frankie - B
Admin - In the industry

by Frankie - B

It says `clincher` in the ad, I suppose they are ;)
Why should a wheelset not be able to use 25mm tires on them?
'Tape was made to wrap your GF's gifts, NOT hold a freakin tire on.'
If you want to see 'meh' content of me and my bike you can follow my life in pictures here!

Suzuka

by Suzuka

No reason. Just wanted to make sure I wasn't missing anything.... Before I order :)

I will keep this thread updated with pictures etc as I progress.

Thanks thus far.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

ricey155

by ricey155

Tubulars are good, no messing with tubes and flats :-) - I've used tufo s33 pros had 1 puncture in 1000's of miles summer and winter riding, extreme gel works great and only add when u get the flat

Good share and good savings on the cheap

Sent from my MI PAD using Tapatalk