HED Jet 6 plus vs Ritchey WCS Apex II Carbon 60mm

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

faken

by faken

Hi everyone.

I have been looking for a new set of high profile wheels for my Cannondale Supersix EVO, and ive been offered a HED Jet 6 plus wheelset. Basicly as new, only 1000km on it.

The thing is, I don't know anything about the wheelset, so im looking for someone that could give me abit of advice on these wheels.

Currently im concidering the HED wheelset; https://www.hedcycling.com/jet/jet-plus/jet-6-plus or a wheelset from
Ritchey; http://www.bike24.com/1.php?content=8;n ... uct=105974

The HED set is 1000 Euro and the Ritchey is 1200 Euro.

Im gonna use them for everyday riding, training and races.

I ride in a rather flat terrain, with a few small hills, nothing big, from 50-150 km a ride.

I hope someone can give me abit of advice on what wheelset to go for.

Regards

Kristoffer

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

pritchet74

by pritchet74

ABSOLUTELY go for the Hed Jet 6+ and be sure to put the Conti Attack tires with latex tubes on both wheels. Hed tested these wheels in the wind tunnel with a variety of tires and found these tires to be REALLY fast in high yaw angles - the wheels just don't stall out like other wheels. The Jet 6+ are better than the Jet 6 wheels, and the Jet 6 were great wheels.

You will not be disappointed. The alloy braking surface is always perfect as well in all weather conditions. I have been on a set of the Jet 6+ wheels for about a year now and they are great.

If you get them be sure to go to Hed's YouTube page for their videos on installing rim tape and tires on the wheels as they have some tips that you might not have thought of. It really makes a huge difference.
Attachments
jet_6_Plus.gif
Have you ever wondered if there was more to life, other than being really, really, ridiculously good looking?

pritchet74

by pritchet74

Have you ever wondered if there was more to life, other than being really, really, ridiculously good looking?

faken

by faken

Thanks alot, seeing you like em so much just makes me want them even more! Was kinda leaning towards the HED's myself, but defiantly going for them now. :)

Thanks once again!

joepac

by joepac

Depends what you weigh and how you ride... The HED is going to be about as aero as it gets, but since it is an aluminum rim with a carbon fairing it will behave as such. If you are heavy and like to sprint and put down big power then the HEDs might not be the best choice because the spokes attach to a shallow aluminum rim, meaning the HED wheel will flex a lot more under power than a 60mm carbon rim. The ritcheys will certainly be more stout since the spokes are shorter and since they are carbon are likely to soak up some more road buzz. The HEDs will have superior braking with the aluminum surface, and will have some added comfort since it is such a wide rim. As far as aero goes the HED is likely to be more aero but the difference is not likely to be enormous. If you don't sprint hard get the HEDs.

faken

by faken

I wouldn't call myself a "big" guy. Im 177cm tall, and weigh 74kg, so I don't think the HED's flexing will that big of a problem for me, and im defiantly not a sprinter! ;)

Already kinda decided on the HED's, since I think it's a really good deal aswell.

Buying the set is not gonna ruin me or anything, so im gonna give them a go, and if I don't like them i'll find something else.

Thanks for your reply.

Stolichnaya

by Stolichnaya

The HEDs are certainly known to be slippery aero, but stiff they are not. I am at about 88 kg and the HEDs I have tried through the years were comically flexible (even the older options with increased spoke count were doing a jig under me). I am a bit higher on the scale than your 74kg, but I bet you will notice flex on those HEDs
I recall that those APEX wheels were getting very good test results when they dropped a few seasons ago for aero, stiffness and durability qualities. They are no doubt a tad heavier though.

faken

by faken

Well the HED's aren't an option anymore, since the guy ive been talking to, changed his mind and doesn't want to sell them anyway. But ive been offered a 2015 set of Reynolds assault / strike wheelset.

So I might just buy those instead, since I mostly heard good stuff about that wheelset.

Not sure though. Anyone with some hands on experience with the Reynolds?

joepac

by joepac

If you are looking for an aero setup the shallower front wheel is a bad choice. About two thirds of the aero gains from a wheelset come from the front wheel. I am not sure about the wheelset's performance. People seem to like Shimano clinchers a lot and they are a lot cheaper in Europe than in the States. November makes some good wheels.

Basically, I would try to find some cheaper 50-60mm carbon clinchers with good reviews and decent weight that are the new, wider style rims. Maybe like Token or Saturae or Giant's new wheels something along those lines? These may not be quite as aero as Zipp or HED but will still offer a big gain over shallow wheels. 50+mm will get blown around in the wind but it's easy to control as long as you don't over correct.
Last edited by joepac on Wed Jul 15, 2015 11:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.

faken

by faken

I know the Reynolds aren't a full aero wheelset, but from what ive heard they're decent. And it's a new 2015 model, so the rim is 25mm, instead of the old 21mm.

Just purchased it today, so gonna take it out for a spin within the next few days, and see how it performs.

gmakris

by gmakris

After testing Ritchey 60mm I found these wheels very stiff, rolls faster and most noticeable they are very comfortable compared to anything else I have ridden with profile. It has also a nice feature to change the cassete in two seconds (a second hub is required though)

only issue is braking performance using stock pads (they seem reynolds blue) I installed Yellow king pads and will try if they are better

gmakris

by gmakris

tested yellow pads and they improved braking a lot.... :-)

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com