Chorus EPS or Record Mechanical

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

Record Mechanical or Chrous EPS

Poll ended at Thu Jul 16, 2015 4:50 pm

Record Mechanical
58%
Chorus EPS
42%

Total votes: 24

hoggy

by hoggy

Hi guys, I've chosen my new bike, which will be a Parlee Altum R, with Campag group set and Bora Tubs. Unfortunately I have a budget and I can get either a Chorus EPS or Record Mechanical group set and I'm completely torn. My wife imposed budget wont let me stretch to a record EPS. Please help me choose with votes and comments :?: :?: :?: :?:

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

jimborello

by jimborello

How about a Campy Chorus EPS with a Recrd crankset?

androidavies

by androidavies

I've used and fitted up both..... Has to be EPS every time for me. The Campag switches are a pleasure to use, you'll end up shifting gear just for the fun of it! I also prefer the white graphics on the Chorus group, though the crankset appearance isn't growing on me. I'd go for the older 5 arm Chorus crankset, in 39/53 of course.

And either get the Parlee UT cups, or the Praxxis converter, you'll be glad you did, and the Parlee carbon front mech clamp too.

Should be a great bike, whichever you choose.

cmcdonnell

by cmcdonnell

I'd go Chorus mechanical personally (and have done). I didn't feel record offered much over Chorus so stuck with Chorus. EPS does not interest me yet but maybe in another incarnation or two.
Bianchi Oltre XR2 + Campagnolo Super Record 11 + Campagnolo Bora 50C
Litespeed T1 + Campagnolo Chorus 11 + Campagnolo Shamal Ultra

2lo8

by 2lo8

For me, always Chorus, EPS or mechanical, if is cost is a concern. Not that I have any Chorus that is less than a decade old, but Chorus has been marketed for a decade or two as being the same performance as SR/R just with heavier bits. In some cases, they've actually performed better or been more reliable than SR/R. If money is no object, then obviously SR for the branding prestige and the exotic titanium and carbon bits and weight. I can't ever see myself forking over the premium for Record over Chorus when it isn't even top of the line. Also as someone pointed out, it doesn't have the red branding on it. Not a fan of it.
[14lb(6.35kg) of no carbon fiber]
[2lo8.wordpress.com]
Your one-stop source for information and reviews on cheap eBay bike junk.

TomColnago

by TomColnago

I ride record mechanical and love it, but the only reason i bought it was because it was going on my older bike which had no way of mounting a battery or internal cables but now i'm on a newer bike i would consider the "downgrade" from record to chorus eps. the geek in me says chorus eps but the mechanic inside says record mechanical. depends on whether you like tinkering or not :D

XCProMD

by XCProMD

While I get the beauty of using a mechanical system, EPS is so amazing that it's the only think I'd ride if I could only chose one bike.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com