Canyon Ultimate CF SLX 9.0 sizing question

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

dastott

by dastott

First time poster here. I am 185cms, with a 90 cm inseam and I am interested in this bike in 56cm. The Canyon website suggests L (58) or even XL (60) but I want to get a more aggressive position than my current Boardman Team Carbon, which feels a bit high in 58. Does anyone have any relevant experience with the Canyon Ultimate CF SLX? Is possible to specify stem length when buying a Canyon online? Thank you.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

cyclenutnz

by cyclenutnz

What are the bars/stem/spacers on your Boardman? A pic would help too

dastott

by dastott

Thanks for the response. This is the model here: http://www.wiggle.com/boardman-team-carbon/ Can't find the bar width or stem length in the docs but the bar is a little wide I feel. The bike is stock except for the wheels.

http://imgur.com/E13I4fS,96SJBnD
http://imgur.com/E13I4fS,96SJBnD#1

cyclenutnz

by cyclenutnz

The 58 CF SLX is exactly the same size as your Boardman (within 1 mm). Going to a 56 Canyon would mean using a really long stem.
I'd suggest playing with Stem angle rather than sizing down. As shown in the image - a -17 stem and a lower headset cover could drop the bars by 27mm (handlebar Y figure) with a small change in reach (bar X)

Of course, you could do that on your Boardman as a cheap way of trying out a lower position. The Canyon is more limited in stem options so will be harder to experiment.
Attachments
dastott.PNG

dastott

by dastott

Wow! Thanks a lot for the detailed explanation. Much appreciated. I am a really newbie when it comes to bike geometry. Love the Boardman but want a bike that is lighter for the climbs.

dastott

by dastott

Actually I should have been more clear. My Boardman is the X large with the 585mm top tube length and 130mm stem, so going to a 58 Canyon would still be sizing down. Do feel the Boardman is quite a large bike but is very comfortable for long rides.

cyclenutnz

by cyclenutnz

Canyon 60 is within a couple of mm of the sizing of the XL Boardman Team. So same comments apply as 58 vs large

Those are big bikes - for comparison I'm 9cm taller with 4cm more inseam and would ride the 58 Canyon with a 120mm stem slammed.
If you're comfortable it means that things can't be too far wrong, though it could be worth investigating whether it is possible to be more comfortable before you spend $$
Given how much setback you've got on the saddle you must have a very flat back?

jano

by jano

Or longer arms?
Bike fitting is not only depending on height and inseam measurements.

dastott

by dastott

Thanks again. Yes, many people my height ride 56cm frames hence my original question. I do have the saddle of my Boardman pushed back to the max on the rails too. Gives me quite a flat back I think. Comparing these dimensions, I think getting a 58cm with 120mm or 130mm stem might be a safer option.

nlouthan

by nlouthan

What software did you use for this?

cyclenutnz wrote:The 58 CF SLX is exactly the same size as your Boardman (within 1 mm). Going to a 56 Canyon would mean using a really long stem.
I'd suggest playing with Stem angle rather than sizing down. As shown in the image - a -17 stem and a lower headset cover could drop the bars by 27mm (handlebar Y figure) with a small change in reach (bar X)

Of course, you could do that on your Boardman as a cheap way of trying out a lower position. The Canyon is more limited in stem options so will be harder to experiment.

Yurredla

by Yurredla

I'm 189 with 89 cm inseam (seat height from bb of 825mm with 175mm cranks). I ride a canyon ultimate slx in size XL with 110 mm stem and 1 * 10mm spacer. 56cm would be tiny.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

dastott

by dastott

Nice bike!

Daddy yo yo

by Daddy yo yo

cyclenutnz wrote:(...) a -17 stem and a lower headset cover could drop the bars by 27mm
canyon offers this lower headest cover as an extra. i would also go for this option if i was goint to buy a canyon!
My contribution to more beautiful roads: - old - / - new -

dastott

by dastott

Yes, think that is a very good idea. Do they also sell - a -17 stem? Think I might wait for the 2016 model (albiet with an 'integrated' aero cockpit) as it looks the business, although delivery times could be slow.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com