Help getting cheap cockpit - Pro vs Ritchey

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

jOrGemRNh

by jOrGemRNh

HI there guys,

So i'm a mtb guy that recently wanted to be in shape, so i bought a cheap roadie. I instantly loved this thing and changed the wheels and drivetrain but know i need a new bar and stem.

I need 44cm because i don't feel safe with my current 42, also i'm not that flexible yet so, a small drop bar like 125mm (pro) would be perfect. I need a shorter stem also.

The ritchey comp stem, i think that 4 axis tend to creak a bit if i remember, and i had a ritchey trail that with a max 5nm torque, wouldn't secure properly until 7Nm, so it's not the more trustworthy one.

I can get the PRO LT stuff really cheap, 15€ stem, 25€ bar and 15€ seatpost and i think they are better looking than ritchey as they are simple, lighter and have the measures i need.

I just cant find any feedback about it. Can someone help me please?
Above all i want reliability and stiffness as i'm heavy.

Best Regards,
Jorge

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

eric

by eric

I've used a bunch of Ritchey 4axis road stems and none of them have creaked or needed more than 5nm.

If you don't feel safe on 42cm bars, 44cm isn't going to make much difference. Perhaps you just need to get used to riding narrower bars than your MTBs and in a lower position.

Pro's parts are fine. If you get a deal on them and like them, why consider anything else?

check this: https://fairwheelbikes.com/c/reviews-an ... em-review/

jOrGemRNh

by jOrGemRNh

To be honest i don't remember where i read that xD.
That torque problem happened in a Ritchey Trail Stem. Weird at least!

My only concern is reliability and stiffness. Are the pro parts any better that the ritchey ones in this matter?

I currently have a ritchey comp seatpost and bar, so i could buy the shorter stem and try to adapt to the road riding.

By the way, those ergo bars or ritchey curves, are that really needed? Or a standart compact bar will do.

lannes

by lannes

The 3T Ergonova is the most compact bar in terms of drop and reach, they have different models from AL to carbon.
http://www.3tcycling.com/road/en/bike-c ... onova-pro/

The 3T ARX PRO aluminium stem (6 degree) is well regarded for stiffness
https://fairwheelbikes.com/c/reviews-an ... em-review/

A longer stem, will slow the steering response down.

martinko

by martinko

I ride Pro LT handlebars on my second bike. But I haven't felt any flex in them yet. In fact, any handlebars yet.

They are cheap and on the heavy side. If your budget allows it, I would take lighter seatpost (if you want to stay with Pro, take other model than LT). Handlebars are perfect. I always feel the difference in weight when I change seatposts or saddles, because the bike is always heavier at the back :)

jOrGemRNh

by jOrGemRNh

Here the 3T Pro stuff are more expensive than Pro Vibes or Ritchey WCS.
Whats the best stiffness/reliability/price relation in cockpits?

lannes

by lannes

jOrGemRNh wrote:Here the 3T Pro stuff are more expensive than Pro Vibes or Ritchey WCS.
Whats the best stiffness/reliability/price relation in cockpits?

I think with bars, it's more about the dimensions you want (drop shape, drop distance and reach) , AL is the stiffest and most reilaible.
All the better know brands will be reliable when considering AL cockpits.

For price it's a matter of shopping around, not one brand is going to be significantly cheaper across the board.

http://www.wiggle.com.au/3t-my15-arx-ii-pro-stem/
http://www.wiggle.com.au/3t-my15-ergonova-pro-drop-bar/

Pro vibe
http://www.wiggle.com.au/pro-vibe-7s-bl ... road-stem/

jOrGemRNh

by jOrGemRNh

In the MTB, i know the market and the offer, but here i just know some names of MTB, like 3T, Ritchey or Pro.
Which are the big brands that are known for reliable brands in road?

I can get them a little bit cheaper in a German store, 47€ the stem and 65€ the bar, but i can get a Ritchey WCS bar for 45€ and the stem for 50€.
And in the cheaper options, i Can get the PRo LT stem for 15€ and the bar for 25€ or a ritchey Comp for 22€ the steam and 16€ the bar. hehe Big different. Does it worth? IN terms of reliabity, durability and stiffness. Low weight is welcome but not a must-be.

andrew9

by andrew9

If you're experimenting for size/fit I'd recommend buying a UNO 6 or 7 (Kalloy) stem off ebay for under $30, or try the local bike shops for take-offs (my last one was $15).
Coming from a MTB, you will likely feel too stretched out at first, so what may seem better may end up in the parts pile in six months. I wouldn't worry about particular brands or matching at this stage, as it may not suit you long term. As Lannes said, any known brand will be fine.

If your set on 44cm bars, I'd look at second hand or take-offs again. I see many used 44cm bars for sale, I don't think they're as popular.
Good luck experimenting; it’s worthwhile to get comfy

mimason

by mimason

I think the Pro vibe 7 range is excellent for the bar and stem. The stem was recently reviewed as one of the best balanced for stiffness to weight and the bars work great. You can sprint without hitting your wrists like some bars and they are wider diameter and comfortable. I had the bar stem on my old Giant and loved it and under $120 for both.

MikeDee

by MikeDee

If your bars slip in the stem clamp, I recommend Ritchey Liquid Torque or equivalent. My bars slipped at the max torque, and Finishline Fiber Grip worked for me.

jOrGemRNh

by jOrGemRNh

The problem about the Vibe is that the bar isn't 125/70mm, is way bigger. And even 3T is cheaper.
What about PLT, are the reliable and stiff?

mimason

by mimason

The 3T I had(Ergosum) has longer reach than Vibe. Vibe is 79mm ish.

70mm is pretty uncommon and you are likely going to hit the bar tops in the drops when sprinting.

Maybe flip the stem to Pos + and work around normal bar stem combos.

Rick

by Rick

I have both PRO and RITCHEY seatposts & stems on various bikes. They are both excellent. I tend to like the Ritchey carbon stuff a little better, but you will not be going wrong with whichever you choose. No problems with either of them.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

jOrGemRNh

by jOrGemRNh

I'll go with ritchey comps and if later, i'm 100% with the bike fitted to me, then maybe ritchey wcs.
Thanks a lot for all your help guys!