FairWheel Stem Test Updated

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

madcow
Shop Owner

by madcow

We've updated our stem test bringing the total of tested stems to 25. We've added a few WW stems as well as some more mainstream stems.

Added: Extralite Hyperstem, Mcfk Carbon, Bontrager XXX, Ritchey Superlogic 260 Carbon, FSA SL-K, and the Control Tech Ti.

The Mcfk now tops the stiffness to weight category and the Control Tech Ti did surprisingly well.

You can view the full test and all results here: https://fairwheelbikes.com/c/reviews-an ... em-review/

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

ergott

by ergott

Awesome. Please consider Zipp Service Course stem. Great price and in all black is an attractive option. Lots of options with 2 angles too.

nickf

by nickf

Another popular stem on ww is that Kalloy Uno 7 or 9 stem.

prebsy

by prebsy

Nice updates. The control tech stem is definitely a bit of a surprise...but so is that $299 price point. That would definitely be a great choice on a Ti bike or period piece with no loss of performance. I would love to see how an UNO7 matches up as well, but maybe that won't be good for business. :lol:
Last edited by prebsy on Wed Jul 08, 2015 8:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.

madcow
Shop Owner

by madcow

Ergott, we'd like to include the Zipp stem, but Sram/Zipp it seems do not like to lend us items to test. It's my understanding they feel we have a bias toward Shimano. I would disagree since I ride Sram on my own personal bike and I've said the Red crank is a top choice in the crank test. Regardless it means we have to rely on our own stock if we want to test things from them. So if on testing day we happen to have the right length in stock we'll include it, but so far that hasn't happened. If enough people were to email them and ask them to participate in our testing perhaps this would change.

Nick, I've tried a few times to get in touch with Kalloy but so far have had no success.

fifarafa

by fifarafa

What about Deda superleggero, zero 100 performance, fizik cyrano?

ergott

by ergott

I have a couple of Zipp stems here if you like. What length?

madcow
Shop Owner

by madcow

We test 11cm stems. If you want to send it for a few days we'd be happy to test then send them back.

CBJ

by CBJ

Good work as always. I like the 3T for several reasons and run it on both my bikes. Glad to see its tested well too.

ergott

by ergott

Great! I have a 11cm in -17 here I'm not using. I'll put it in the mail tomorrow.

ms6073

by ms6073

madcow wrote:We test 11cm stems.

Sorry to be nitpicky, but the 'thoughs on each stem' section works fine under IE but does not render very well under Google Chrome:

- Michael
"People should stop expecting normal from me... seriously, we all know it's never going to happen"

madcow
Shop Owner

by madcow

That happens sometimes if the css doesn't load properly. If you hit refresh it should reload correctly.

jimaizumi

by jimaizumi

Madcow, long time no see..

I agree with the MCFK stem review.. great stem but low torque clamping requires a bit more attention when using bars that don't have some roughness around the clamping area... Lots of carbon paste and caution... I was a bit nerve racking having my schmolke's rotating down on its initial run. Otherwise, very stiff... Thanks for the reviews and keep em coming!
THE PAST: 2005 C'dale R700, 2006 Spesh S-Works Tarmac Gerolsteiner, 2009 Pinarello Dogma FPX My Way, 2011 Time RXR VIP

THE PRESENT: 2016 Colnago C60 ST01, 2017 Wilier Cento 10 Ramato, Cinelli Gazetta

THE FUTURE: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

Marin

by Marin

nickf wrote:Another popular stem on ww is that Kalloy Uno 7 or 9 stem.

I'd say the "New Ultimate Evo Stem" is a Kalloy Uno with different graphics and a 400% price increase. It looks the same down to the interlocking face plates and torque spec prints, and it weighs the same too.

Marin

by Marin

Also, thanks for the reviews, very valuable!

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com