201x Specialized Allez Sprint DSW and Gen2

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

SLCBrandon

by SLCBrandon

Yeah, once I get over this cold I'll be able to put in some hard rides and give some feedback. My options for the 130 bcd were 52 or 54 though and I'd have loved a 53 option but Sram doesn't currently offer that (no idea why....maybe I missed it).

This bike will be used primarliy on our lunch loop here at work which is almost pancake flat except for one little roller that you muscle over anyway, and crits on a course that literally ends down a drag strip and the lead in from the last corner to finish is ~500m and can get a tailwind at times. My Vias has a 52/36 and on sprint workouts with a tailwind i've been in the 52/11 at close to 40mph and didn't have the leg speed to run that cadence out. I figured the 54 would help there but maybe I wont be able to turn it over at a speed faster regardless. Anyway, it looks cool....

Raineman

by Raineman

SLCBrandon wrote:Yeah, once I get over this cold I'll be able to put in some hard rides and give some feedback. My options for the 130 bcd were 52 or 54 though and I'd have loved a 53 option but Sram doesn't currently offer that (no idea why....maybe I missed it).

Sram don't do a 53 because of the narrow wide design that means the teeth are of alternating width hence an even number is needed. Although if you really wanted a 53 you should be able to use a standard one without too many issues.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

SLCBrandon

by SLCBrandon

^Haha, can I blame my head cold for being an idiot and not seeing the obvious? ^

Thanks.

KWalker

by KWalker

So what I'm hearing is that with no 55, you'll need a 56
Don't take me too seriously. The only person that doesn't hate Froome.
Gramz
Failed Custom Bike

53x12

by 53x12

Looks like Elbowz Racing is going with 2x.

Is it just me, or is anyone else not warming up to the gold and red frameset? The black and blue frameset looks great, the nude + red looks great, nude + green looks good, black and white looks ok too. Just not feeling the gold and red, regardless of how many builds I see.

Maybe it looks better in person?
"Marginal gains are the only gains when all that's left to gain is in the margins."

KWalker

by KWalker

Most importantly, there are no other teams riding anything with close to that paint scheme so people can pick it out easily. It seems Speci's tactic by sponsoring most of the elite teams (Mike's all get ViAS') with the Sprint X2 is to push it as the go-to race bike. Given my experience on it, that's the best moniker but I still prefer the Tarmac.
Gramz
Failed Custom Bike

TwiggyTN

by TwiggyTN

I'd rock that, race a Tarmac but that would be a sweet supplemental whip for certain events. Black tape, cages, and saddle, done.

Sent from my GT-P5113 using Tapatalk

nathanong87
Resident master of GIF

by nathanong87

the black and blue looks 3.14x better!

SLCBrandon

by SLCBrandon

But the raw/blk is clearly the best.

Clearly.

53x12

by 53x12

KWalker wrote:Most importantly, there are no other teams riding anything with close to that paint scheme so people can pick it out easily. It seems Speci's tactic by sponsoring most of the elite teams (Mike's all get ViAS') with the Sprint X2 is to push it as the go-to race bike. Given my experience on it, that's the best moniker but I still prefer the Tarmac.

2x is fine but I thought the whole thing with the 1x was Specialized pushing that for crit racing.
"Marginal gains are the only gains when all that's left to gain is in the margins."

mannequinforce

by mannequinforce

Any updates or new owners of a sprint yet?

KWalker

by KWalker

My teammates have Sprints.

Raced them on probably the worst pavement of any road race in the country yesterday. 25s on Roval CLX60s, I think one guy had 26mm S-Works Turbos. No complaints from anyone about the bike's stiffness/harshness. Honestly if I didn't absolutely love my Tarmac's paint and could do it all over again I'd probably go with the sprint and use a similar tire setup.
Gramz
Failed Custom Bike

pyrahna

by pyrahna

mannequinforce wrote:Any updates or new owners of a sprint yet?

What do you want to know, other than I love mine and my new CLX 64s.

lrdunc

by lrdunc

Apologies if I missed this as I was scanning through the posts here, but does anyone know when (if?) new colorways will be released for the 2x frameset? I'm not a fan of the gold / red option either, as I saw was mentioned by someone else.

Would love to get this frame, though:

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

pwork

by pwork

My .02c.

Only have 100 miles on my sprint x1 built, but really happy with it and is an upgrade.

I'm mostly a CX and endurance SS MTB guy, but decided to get back into road racing this spring and summer as training for the fall. I've owned a couple of venges and tarmacs, but had been road bike-less for over a year, last road bike was a SL4 pro.

In Feb I got a smoking deal a 49cm Allez Comp Race DSW (even though the sprint was on my radar), and pulled the 105 off for a 1x Force/Rival build w/ a quarq, sworks crank and seatpost from other builds. That bike weighed 7.42kg (16.35lbs) ready to ride w/ speedplays, cage, and garmin mount. Really liked that bike as it handles like a harsher sl4, but w/26s who cares...however, the comp never felt planted out of the saddle. I'm only 135 soaking wet, but can put out a decent amount of torque on punchy climbs.

Happy with my results in the first race this season so I treated myself to the clear ano sprint frameset. I yanked all the parts off of the comp and installed on the sprint. I'll get pics soon, but its a smaller version of SLCB's w/o the huge CR. It weighs exactly the same as the comp (literally) ready to ride. Immediately you can tell how much stiffer the bb is than the comp. In an all out fatigued sprint or grind up a steep hill the bike feels much more planted and lively. In addition, there seems to be less windup in fast tight corners with more predictability. The minor differences in geo are also apparent, not good bad or otherwise, just different. Bike seems to have more trail, but the official numbers don't reflect that, could be the higher BB? I get why the HT is much shorter, but I'm not flexible enough to take advantage, what was a reasonable spacer stack on the comp is borderline high on the sprint. We ride plenty of oil/chip roads, and the sprint is no harsher than the comp was. Butt dyno says there may be some aero benefit, but the numbers will speak for themselves as soon as I can get a proper test. Have enough data with the comp to play with. All in all happy with the bike.

Have an aerofly sitting in a box ready to install. I hated my last zipp aero bars, but we'll see how these work. I'll post pics once I get the new bars on and the steerer cut down lower.