201x Specialized Allez Sprint DSW and Gen2

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

IrrelevantD

by IrrelevantD

morganb wrote:
Its hard to see without me removing the cable stop, but I basically dremeled a slot on the back side of the stop down to the point that it flattens out near the bolt, then I drilled a hole just big enough for a Di2 cable (not the end) and slid it in place. I then pushed the brake housing through, so I can't remove the Di2 cable without removing the brake housing, but it looks much cleaner.

Very nice work. I ended up getting the downtube cover/grommet kit for the Roubaix/Venge, but what you did looks much nicer. Did you pull the cable back through the head tube from there to the downtube? And did you get the one that already had the chainstay and BB drilled? Seen too many Sprints to remember who got what.
* There is a 70% chance that what you have just read has a peppering of cynicism or sarcasm and generally should not be taken seriously.
I'll leave it up to you to figure out the other 30%. If you are in any way offended, that's on you.

morganb

by morganb

IrrelevantD wrote:
morganb wrote:
Its hard to see without me removing the cable stop, but I basically dremeled a slot on the back side of the stop down to the point that it flattens out near the bolt, then I drilled a hole just big enough for a Di2 cable (not the end) and slid it in place. I then pushed the brake housing through, so I can't remove the Di2 cable without removing the brake housing, but it looks much cleaner.

Very nice work. I ended up getting the downtube cover/grommet kit for the Roubaix/Venge, but what you did looks much nicer. Did you pull the cable back through the head tube from there to the downtube? And did you get the one that already had the chainstay and BB drilled? Seen too many Sprints to remember who got what.

Yeah, I used a 1600mm cable to run it that way. And yes it was already drilled under the chainstay and above the BB weld.

spartan

by spartan

specialized best frame versus the new tarmac look quite generic.
i hope they update the frame next year to support di2.
Current Rides:

2023 Tarmac SL7 Di2 9270
ex 2019 S-works SL6
ex 2018 Trek Madone SLR Disc
ex 2016 Giant TCRAdvanced Sl
ex 2012 Trek Madone7

moock

by moock

spartan wrote:specialized best frame versus the new tarmac look quite generic.
i hope they update the frame next year to support di2.

2017 new tarmac and normal allez for 2018.

2018 will be new venge and hopefully new allez sprint for 2019. I think Di2 and maybe Discs

arturo

by arturo

Hi, i going to buy Allez Sprint 2018 frameset and that`s strange....but i don`t know what correct size is for me. I am 183-184 cm hight with short legs 83 cm . Always most framesets for me it was 56-57 cm mean top tube lenght 565-575 mm most ofen with 110-120 mm lenght of stem. For example Tarmac Sl4 56 cm was perfect for me and Giant TCR Advanced 2010 size M/L too ( it`s close to 56 cm size ) but geometry of Allez Sprint is quite different... It`s different that Tarmac ( exception Taramc 2018 )

Allez Sprint 56 size has just 554 mm Top Tube lenght ( horizontal ) IMHO it`s i very, very, very short !!!! 58 size is 567 mm Top Tube lenght ( horizontal ) what is much better for me but always 58 cm frames was too big for me i prefere compact frames. Mostly 58 frame size was for me like a...cadilac like a really big limousine. I dont like it.

Whats your size frames vs hight? What You can recomand me?
Is it new trend / style that mean : shorter top tube ( like in Allez Sprint ) + longer stem ex. 130-150 mm ?

Thanks for Your help and advices :)
Best regards Artur

pyrahna

by pyrahna

arturo wrote:Hi, i going to buy Allez Sprint 2018 frameset and that`s strange....but i don`t know what correct size is for me. I am 183-184 cm hight with short legs 83 cm . Always most framesets for me it was 56-57 cm mean top tube lenght 565-575 mm most ofen with 110-120 mm lenght of stem. For example Tarmac Sl4 56 cm was perfect for me and Giant TCR Advanced 2010 size M/L too ( it`s close to 56 cm size ) but geometry of Allez Sprint is quite different... It`s different that Tarmac ( exception Taramc 2018 )

Allez Sprint 56 size has just 554 mm Top Tube lenght ( horizontal ) IMHO it`s i very, very, very short !!!! 58 size is 567 mm Top Tube lenght ( horizontal ) what is much better for me but always 58 cm frames was too big for me i prefere compact frames. Mostly 58 frame size was for me like a...cadilac like a really big limousine. I dont like it.

Whats your size frames vs hight? What You can recomand me?
Is it new trend / style that mean : shorter top tube ( like in Allez Sprint ) + longer stem ex. 130-150 mm ?

Thanks for Your help and advices :)
Best regards Artur

If I remember correctly the sizes were pretty consistent w/ the last gen tarmac...just with a 1cm of stack (i.e. the vertical distance from the bottom bracket) removed from them so the Allez Sprints are a low bike. The reach (i.e. the horizontal distance from the bottom bracket) was very similar to the Tarmac.

arturo

by arturo

pyrahna wrote:If I remember correctly the sizes were pretty consistent w/ the last gen tarmac...just with a 1cm of stack (i.e. the vertical distance from the bottom bracket) removed from them so the Allez Sprints are a low bike. The reach (i.e. the horizontal distance from the bottom bracket) was very similar to the Tarmac.

So thats mean that 56 size shoud be ok and really close to 56 Tarmac? Even with top tube and stack shorter 11 mm ? REACH is the same 395 mm.

morganb

by morganb

arturo wrote:
pyrahna wrote:If I remember correctly the sizes were pretty consistent w/ the last gen tarmac...just with a 1cm of stack (i.e. the vertical distance from the bottom bracket) removed from them so the Allez Sprints are a low bike. The reach (i.e. the horizontal distance from the bottom bracket) was very similar to the Tarmac.

So thats mean that 56 size shoud be ok and really close to 56 Tarmac? Even with top tube and stack shorter 11 mm ? REACH is the same 395 mm.

This is because the seat tube angle is very steep for a 56cm. If you put your saddle in the same place relative to the bottom bracket, you will have the same reach as a 56cm Tarmac even though the top tube is shorter, as you will be pushing the saddle back further on the rails. This should lead to a quicker handling bike due to the shorter wheelbase.

morganb

by morganb

I actually sized up from a 52cm Tarmac to a 54cm Allez Sprint after owning a 52cm for six months or so. The geo of the smaller sizes is different though, and a 54 Sprint is almost identical to a 52 Tarmac except a 6mm more stack.

IrrelevantD

by IrrelevantD

arturo wrote:So thats mean that 56 size shoud be ok and really close to 56 Tarmac? Even with top tube and stack shorter 11 mm ? REACH is the same 395 mm.

I have an 05 S-Works Tarmac (56) and I was able to match my position nearly identically with the Allez in a 56. Both of my bikes are slammed 100mm stem, but I have a -7° on the Allez, whereas the Tarmac is -12°. The rise in the stem and the taller headset top cover takes up any difference in stack height (I think it’s about 20mm). Any difference in reach is pretty Imperceptible.

The geometry of the Tarmac has changed very little in the last 12 years and the Allez Sprint is so close if you fit on a 56 on one, you will fit on a 56 on the other.
* There is a 70% chance that what you have just read has a peppering of cynicism or sarcasm and generally should not be taken seriously.
I'll leave it up to you to figure out the other 30%. If you are in any way offended, that's on you.

Nefarious86

by Nefarious86

58cm frames, 0 spacers, 120mm stems.

-6° stem on my Allez
-10° stem on my Tarmac

Almost identical stack at the bars.

Sent from my SM-N950F using Tapatalk
Using Tapatalk

arturo

by arturo

Nefarious86 wrote:58cm frames, 0 spacers, 120mm stems.

-6° stem on my Allez
-10° stem on my Tarmac

Almost identical stack at the bars.

Nefarious86 how tall are You?

Nefarious86

by Nefarious86

187cm
78.5cm saddle height.

Using Tapatalk

by Weenie