201x Specialized Allez Sprint DSW and Gen2

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

Squashednuts

by Squashednuts

morganb wrote:A Sagan Superstar frame just came up in my size in a bike swap that I'm in. Pre-drilled for Di2 also. Tempting.

Hey Morganb
What is a bike swap?
Building Spec Allez

Sold
Fuji SL 5.5kg viewtopic.php?f=10&t=157704

Sold -
Izalco Max Disc 6.7kg http://weightweenies.starbike.com/forum ... o+Max+disc

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

53x12

by 53x12

Squashednuts wrote:
morganb wrote:A Sagan Superstar frame just came up in my size in a bike swap that I'm in. Pre-drilled for Di2 also. Tempting.

Hey Morganb
What is a bike swap?

Usually just means a local team or bike shop sponsors an event once/a few times a year where people can bring their used bikes and sell them. Either sell them outright or sometimes do a trade with someone else that has something you want.
"Marginal gains are the only gains when all that's left to gain is in the margins."

lasrsktr

by lasrsktr

53x12 wrote:
Squashednuts wrote:

Hey Morganb
What is a bike swap?

Usually just means a local team or bike shop sponsors an event once/a few times a year where people can bring their used bikes and sell them. Either sell them outright or sometimes do a trade with someone else that has something you want.

But this time he means a group on Facebook called "online swapmeet"

I saw the frame and it looks good!

My di2 drilled frame is awaiting new groupset (swapping back to mechanical).

morganb

by morganb

lasrsktr wrote:
53x12 wrote:
Squashednuts wrote:

Hey Morganb
What is a bike swap?

But this time he means a group on Facebook called "online swapmeet"

I saw the frame and it looks good!

My di2 drilled frame is awaiting new groupset (swapping back to mechanical).

That's the one, although we do have local swap meets here occasionally. After looking at my available options that frame is by far the best looking, and I was leaning Di2 anyway so this saves me some work.

CrankAddictsRich

by CrankAddictsRich

morganb wrote:That's the one, although we do have local swap meets here occasionally. After looking at my available options that frame is by far the best looking, and I was leaning Di2 anyway so this saves me some work.

I know the owner of that Sagan frame on the swap meet... here's a shot I took of him at the Tour of Somerville back in May, just after he first got the bike.

morganb

by morganb

CrankAddictsRich wrote:
morganb wrote:That's the one, although we do have local swap meets here occasionally. After looking at my available options that frame is by far the best looking, and I was leaning Di2 anyway so this saves me some work.

I know the owner of that Sagan frame on the swap meet... here's a shot I took of him at the Tour of Somerville back in May, just after he first got the bike.

Small world, thanks for the extra pic. That color scheme looks awesome there. A few of my teammates were at that race so maybe they've met him/you too.

CrankAddictsRich

by CrankAddictsRich

morganb wrote:Small world, thanks for the extra pic. That color scheme looks awesome there. A few of my teammates were at that race so maybe they've met him/you too.

What team? Here's a link to the Facebook gallery of everything I shot that day... have a look.

morganb

by morganb

CrankAddictsRich wrote:
morganb wrote:Small world, thanks for the extra pic. That color scheme looks awesome there. A few of my teammates were at that race so maybe they've met him/you too.

What team? Here's a link to the Facebook gallery of everything I shot that day... have a look.

NovaCare, I thought they were there this year, although looking through the results it looks like they may have bailed to do something else. Based in Pittsburgh but mainly racing MABRA area stuff due to a dearth of local racing. I see some GPOA guys in the pics who I ride/race with though.

IrrelevantD

by IrrelevantD

Morganb,
If you didn't pickup that Sagan or decide to get one new, check with a local Specialized dealer. They should be able to pull up Specialized's inventory and tell you what will be avalable when and in what size. I just got my Chameleon Purple frame in, took about 3-4 weeks. Might also ask the dealer if they can hit up their Specialized rep and get a better timeline. Estimated delivery date on mine kept getting pushed back, the shop got with their rep who told them "It will be there Friday". Saved me from canceling and buying a low end Tarmac, a decision I am very happy I didn't make.

I also built it up Di2 without drilling the frame/voiding the warranty. I just posted a brief write up on it with a link to google drive with pics. Basically, cut and splice the E-Tube cables, then use the factory routing to run it outside from the downtube. On a dark frame like the Purple, it's really pretty clean. Definately would be clean on the grafitti.
* There is a 70% chance that what you have just read has a peppering of cynicism or sarcasm and generally should not be taken seriously.
I'll leave it up to you to figure out the other 30%. If you are in any way offended, that's on you.

Kayo

by Kayo

IrrelevantD wrote:I just got my Chameleon Purple frame in, took about 3-4 weeks. Might also ask the dealer if they can hit up their Specialized rep and get a better timeline. Estimated delivery date on mine kept getting pushed back, the shop got with their rep who told them "It will be there Friday".

Seriously? I'm closing in on 5 months wait time. Trying to work around my LBS as a deposit means nothing to them.

morganb

by morganb

IrrelevantD wrote:Morganb,
If you didn't pickup that Sagan or decide to get one new, check with a local Specialized dealer. They should be able to pull up Specialized's inventory and tell you what will be avalable when and in what size. I just got my Chameleon Purple frame in, took about 3-4 weeks. Might also ask the dealer if they can hit up their Specialized rep and get a better timeline. Estimated delivery date on mine kept getting pushed back, the shop got with their rep who told them "It will be there Friday". Saved me from canceling and buying a low end Tarmac, a decision I am very happy I didn't make.

I also built it up Di2 without drilling the frame/voiding the warranty. I just posted a brief write up on it with a link to google drive with pics. Basically, cut and splice the E-Tube cables, then use the factory routing to run it outside from the downtube. On a dark frame like the Purple, it's really pretty clean. Definately would be clean on the grafitti.

Yeah I just saw today that they have 54cm frames available in the chameleon. I still haven't heard back from the guy with the Superstar so I am probably going to order one of those. I have an eTap group so if the frame that is already drilled doesn't work out, I'll just swap that over instead since my other bike is Di2 compatible. How hard was it to splice the wire? I imagine you just run the RD wire externally on the bottom of the chainstay?

IrrelevantD

by IrrelevantD

morganb wrote:Yeah I just saw today that they have 54cm frames available in the chameleon. I still haven't heard back from the guy with the Superstar so I am probably going to order one of those. I have an eTap group so if the frame that is already drilled doesn't work out, I'll just swap that over instead since my other bike is Di2 compatible. How hard was it to splice the wire? I imagine you just run the RD wire externally on the bottom of the chainstay?

So I got some extra long wire for the battery, RD and FD as I have the b-junction in the downtube and I needed to get cable all the way out the headtube to solder them. Soldering was pretty easy. They are really small wires in the jacket, like maybe 24ga at the biggest. I stripped back a lot of extra on the outer jacket so I had room to solder without heating up the heat shrink on the individual wires, then ran a long heat shrink tube over the connector and sealled up the whole splice. Came out really nice, unfortunately i forgot to take a pic. Not that hard of a job if you're even remotely handy with a soldering iron.

I have pics for the entire thing in this thread. viewtopic.php?f=3&t=148022
* There is a 70% chance that what you have just read has a peppering of cynicism or sarcasm and generally should not be taken seriously.
I'll leave it up to you to figure out the other 30%. If you are in any way offended, that's on you.

IrrelevantD

by IrrelevantD

Kayo wrote:Seriously? I'm closing in on 5 months wait time. Trying to work around my LBS as a deposit means nothing to them.

My shop ordered mine through Specialized, I paid full price for it up front. Any Specialized shop should be able to show you the estimated date of delivery. That date is assuming it's ordered on the day it's checked, but their Specialized rep should be able to get them more detailed info, especially if it has already been ordered. I know that from looking at the screen, Purple was the one that was available soonest in most comon sizes (52-58). I *think* Grafitti was next, I want to say late November, and I think the American Flag one was maybe Christmas if youre lucky, but I might have that backwards.

If you put money down I'd ride their ass on it or get a refund and go to another shop.

morganb

by morganb

54 and 56 are available now in the purple model. Smaller and larger sizes are due soon. Yeah the black/american flag one is a few months out still.

Kayo

by Kayo

Hope no one has to go through the wait I have. Paid deposit first week of June. LBS told me that there were no more 49 to be made and would have to accept a 52, 2 weeks since I heard from them. Live on the islands so they are the only game in town and had bought a BB30 crankset so I'm sort of committed. I currently have Spec customer care trying to figure it out with the sales team.

At least I've got to watch all of you build some pretty bikes =D

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com