201x Specialized Allez Sprint DSW and Gen2

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

arizonahalfnhalf

by arizonahalfnhalf

Will probably be another very nice vertically stiff, laterally compliant frame from them.

Oh, wait, I think they got it backwards....

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Ahillock

by Ahillock

To compliment the Allez’s stiff frame, the front end runs an S-Works FACT carbon fiber fork up front to ensure precision handling. And when you own your own wind tunnel, you better use it for everything possible – the New Allez was no exception. The down tube, seat tube, and seatstays have all been aerodynamically optimized to reduce drag, without sacrificing any of the explosiveness that crit racing and sprinting requires. The result is a bike that saves a claimed 1.3 meters in a sprint compared to a traditional Allez according to Specialized.

http://www.bikerumor.com/2015/08/20/fir ... x1-expert/

eric01

by eric01

The bikeradar article specifically cited the U.S. market and criteriums (where apparently you only need 1 chainring). So definitely coming to the U.S.

I like what they've done here. Would be very interested in a test ride. I don't race anymore but could be very appealing to the weekend crit crowd.
Specialized Tarmac Sworks SL6, Moots Compact, Carl Strong Titanium

KWalker

by KWalker

tranzformer wrote:WW's aren't the only ones that shit on Specialized in the cycling community. Plus Specialized over active law department doesn't help their cause out. Especially when threatening to sue a bike shop in Canada because they used the term 'Roubaix' for their shop name while Specialized doesn't even own the trademark to the term 'Roubaix' since it is Fuji! Lol. Not to mention the way Specialized treats small bike shops. Fcuk Specialized.

Having worked with patent and trademark lawyers quite often, there are really stupid legal reasons that large companies have to sue prematurely and its not just a matter of being evil. I can guarantee that the web browser you are using to view this forum has at one time been part of a trademark dispute and/or trademark purchase that you didn't even know about it. Why do you think so many startup brands spell their brand name weird and use strange imaging? Its not to be hip in many cases as a company I worked for experienced when a trademark case was brought up against us by a company in a completely different industry with no tangible connection to our product or service.

I worked in two Specialized shops and they treated us better than any other brand we carried. Their warranty and recall performance has been top notch and they pour more money into R&D than most other brands combined. I don't want to like them because they are a big monolith, but at the same time they are what they are for a reason. Whether or not you agree with their technical claim is up to you, but to come into a thread about a bike that hasn't been released and give it tons of negative speculation for no reason its quite stupid.
Don't take me too seriously. The only person that doesn't hate Froome.
Gramz
Failed Custom Bike

tranzformer

by tranzformer

You asked why there is a negative connotation with Specialized by stating "WW=Shit on Specialized for no good reason." and some would argue it isn't for no good reason. It also isn't limited to just WW in the cycling community that doesn't like nor appreciate Specialized. In an age of social responsibility, people are more careful and selective in terms of which corporations and companies they are willing to give their money to. Nike? How many people shit all over them. Chase/Wells Fargo/BoA/Citi banks? How many people shit all over them. McDonald's? How many people shit all over them. Walmart? How many people shit all over them.

Look, I realize people like and dislike brands for a multitude of reasons. That is ok. You can't say one person is wrong for not liking a particular brand and stating they have no reason not to like them.

If you worked in a Specialized Concept shop or a large Specialized dealer, I am sure the Specialized rep treated you guys very well. It is the smaller shops, that get shit on by Specialized.

If that is the kind of company people want to give their money to, that is fine. There are some on WW and within cycling in general that would rather take their money elsewhere. Nothing wrong with that.

KWalker

by KWalker

I agree, but there is something wrong with going into EVERY thread for the brand and making up problems that no one knows actually exist just to shit on the brand. You also miss the point that local service of any sort is often influenced by the quality of the sales rep as well, which has nothing to do with the brand. Speci also takes great care to warranty anything with the slightest problem extremely quick yet many other big companies rarely do as such.

In this thread we have a crit-specific bike for one of Speci's biggest cohorts. It comes at a good price point for a beater race bike and is built to function as such especially when you factor in the common team discounts. Yet people are making up issues about ride quality, construction, etc. with ZERO actual proof that these are problems. You saw it for dozens of pages in the Venge thread.

Yet the CAAD12 has none of that. Cannondale isn't necessarily great to shops and they sell their bikes at tons of chain sporting goods stores that provide almost zero real local support. The bike is barely different than what came before and is no longer at super great price point. Yet none of the same crap is posted there.
Don't take me too seriously. The only person that doesn't hate Froome.
Gramz
Failed Custom Bike

prendrefeu

by prendrefeu

It's just straight up brandism, man....

Exp001 || Other projects in the works.

53x12

by 53x12

The Allez Sprint is definitely intriguing. Definitely not for me in 1x trim. Maybe when the 2x comes out? I won't call the frameset expensive at $1,350 but it is an interesting price point. Doesn't really tick the cheap aluminum box that many look for in a training/bad weather/crit frame. It is getting close to the price of some very decent carbon frames. I think the CAAD 10 and 12 and Emonda ALR might be slightly more attractive from the $ perspective for those looking to save money. However, the Sprint 1x Comp looks like a decent build if you are happy with the gearing. The S-Works fork is a nice feature that Specialized included with the Allez Sprint.

This is an interesting price point for a frameset. I know a lot of guys will be able to get the Allez Sprint with a bro discount, but taking the MSRP it makes you wonder if you would rather go with the Allez Sprint at $1,350 or possibly pay a little more for a Felt F1 @ $1,750 or that new Fuji SL @ $1,900. Both the Felt and Fuji you would be able to get your own bro discount of some sorts. Sure they are sill priced slightly higher than the Specialized, but the whole "cheap and replaceable" aspect might be lost with this Allez. Maybe I am off with that. Not to mention carbon nowadays is much easier to repair from a crash than an aluminum frame. Will be interesting to see how durable this Allez Sprint is.

I will tip my hat off to Specialized, that BB is sexy.

"Marginal gains are the only gains when all that's left to gain is in the margins."

Horze

by Horze

WTH, looks fgly to me.

Maybe it's a test bed to try out a design for the next gen Tarmac.

Can't see if it's absolutely necessary to join tubes like that. They claim it is easier to weld. Maybe so. But then the head tube and BB also have to be shaped/forged first.

NB. Looks like Prend is back. Was you in jail or something?
7x Forum Racing Ban Champion.

53x12

by 53x12

How is that fugly to you? Cool piece of BB shell that is stamped and machined for an aluminum frame. Joining the tubes like that makes it stiffer, easier to weld and no heavier than the old method. Cool technology if you ask me. Proof will be in the pudding (if a test ride shows the stiffness and comfort being there).
"Marginal gains are the only gains when all that's left to gain is in the margins."

XCProMD

by XCProMD

One of the main advantages of butt over fillet welds is you'll never get a fatigue crack due to a root issue (usually caused by poor mitering match).

It is easier to ensure full penetration without frying the tubes. Considering the thicknesses of Alu tubing these days and the material characteristics is a good idea.

Horze

by Horze

XCProMD wrote:One of the main advantages of butt over fillet welds is you'll never get a fatigue crack due to a root issue (usually caused by poor mitering match).

It is easier to ensure full penetration without frying the tubes. Considering the thicknesses of Alu tubing these days and the material characteristics is a good idea.

7x Forum Racing Ban Champion.

53x12

by 53x12

2x setup

kgt

by kgt

I agree that the super aero seat tube - seatpost, on this frame, is 100% marketing. Almost a joke. A normal round 27,2mm seatpost would provide a much better ride.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

raisinberry777

by raisinberry777

The lack of branding on seatpost and stem certainly make for a nice change.