201x Specialized Allez Sprint DSW and Gen2

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

dcorn

by dcorn

robertbb wrote:
Tue Feb 27, 2018 3:47 am
I'd like to see Spesh re-release the S-Works Allez DSW in non-sprint form. i.e. with a 27.2 seatpost, and using the updated s-works fork from the new tarmac. I'd be on one of those puppies like a fat kid on pie.
Just go make your own like Rich did!

Why exactly do you want that? Not a fan of aero?

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

IrrelevantD

by IrrelevantD

robertbb wrote:
I'd like to see Spesh re-release the S-Works Allez DSW in non-sprint form. i.e. with a 27.2 seatpost, and using the updated s-works fork from the new tarmac. I'd be on one of those puppies like a fat kid on pie.
There was one at one point a few years back.

(Edit: didn’t see the “re” in “re-release”, my bad.)
Last edited by IrrelevantD on Tue Feb 27, 2018 12:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.
* There is a 70% chance that what you have just read has a peppering of cynicism or sarcasm and generally should not be taken seriously.
I'll leave it up to you to figure out the other 30%. If you are in any way offended, that's on you.

AyBee

by AyBee

Nefarious86 wrote:
Mon Feb 26, 2018 9:16 pm
That is a great looking bike - anyone selling one in size 52 please? :P

CrankAddictsRich

by CrankAddictsRich

dcorn wrote:
Tue Feb 27, 2018 4:29 am
robertbb wrote:

That's basically what I did, but he's specifyig the fork from the new Tarmac. The fork I used is from the S-Works Tarmac SL4. It was a pretty signifigant drop in grams from the standard tarmac fork that came in the non S-Works Allez, almost 100 grams. I'm not sure what advantage the fork from the newest S-Works Tarmc would offer, maybe a little bit mroe weight reduction and the direct mount brakes.

robertbb

by robertbb

CrankAddictsRich wrote:
Tue Feb 27, 2018 12:41 pm
dcorn wrote:
Tue Feb 27, 2018 4:29 am
robertbb wrote:

That's basically what I did, but he's specifyig the fork from the new Tarmac. The fork I used is from the S-Works Tarmac SL4. It was a pretty signifigant drop in grams from the standard tarmac fork that came in the non S-Works Allez, almost 100 grams. I'm not sure what advantage the fork from the newest S-Works Tarmc would offer, maybe a little bit mroe weight reduction and the direct mount brakes.
As far as I know, there was a difference between the Specialized Allez and S-Works Allez you're talking about. The S-Works version frame had tripple butted seatstays, whereas the Allez had double-butted. Can't remember where I read/saw that. Happy to be corrected... if the only difference was the fork then it'll make it a darn sight easier to find a Specialized Allez.. the S-Works ones are rare.

Fork-wise, yes, direct mount would be nice. I still run/prefer a single pivot rear (Campy) so happy with non-direct mount on the frame itself.

I'm not a huge fan of aero frames... would prefer a good all-around alloy road bike, at a more respectable weight.

CrankAddictsRich

by CrankAddictsRich

robertbb wrote:
Tue Feb 27, 2018 11:51 pm
As far as I know, there was a difference between the Specialized Allez and S-Works Allez you're talking about. The S-Works version frame had tripple butted seatstays, whereas the Allez had double-butted. Can't remember where I read/saw that. Happy to be corrected... if the only difference was the fork then it'll make it a darn sight easier to find a Specialized Allez.. the S-Works ones are rare.

Fork-wise, yes, direct mount would be nice. I still run/prefer a single pivot rear (Campy) so happy with non-direct mount on the frame itself.

I'm not a huge fan of aero frames... would prefer a good all-around alloy road bike, at a more respectable weight.
It's funny.. I've heard some conflicting stories from some that should know. Some people have said the S-Works Allez had triple butted seatstays, as you've said. Others have told me that the S-Works frames were no different in terms of actual consturction. They were simply the cleanest, best welded frames.. basically when they were built, they were inspected and the ones that passed with the highest QC, because S-Works. They reveived no paint, were anodized to remain as light as possible and got an S-Works fork. When I stripped my frame, it hit the weight mark for the S-Works frame, almost spot on the number... I think it was like 5g off. Painted, it was 1250g, bare it was 1115g.

The S-Works ones are rare, but they come up for sale every so often. I just saw one on OnlineSwapMeet on Facebook a few days ago.. size 54.

robertbb

by robertbb

CrankAddictsRich wrote:
Wed Feb 28, 2018 2:18 am
robertbb wrote:
Tue Feb 27, 2018 11:51 pm

It's funny.. I've heard some conflicting stories from some that should know. Some people have said the S-Works Allez had triple butted seatstays, as you've said. Others have told me that the S-Works frames were no different in terms of actual consturction. They were simply the cleanest, best welded frames.. basically when they were built, they were inspected and the ones that passed with the highest QC, because S-Works. They reveived no paint, were anodized to remain as light as possible and got an S-Works fork. When I stripped my frame, it hit the weight mark for the S-Works frame, almost spot on the number... I think it was like 5g off. Painted, it was 1250g, bare it was 1115g.

The S-Works ones are rare, but they come up for sale every so often. I just saw one on OnlineSwapMeet on Facebook a few days ago.. size 54.
Thanks CAR. Interesting... were the Specialized versions available in mechanical, or Di2 only like the S-Works one?

Slightly OT, but my Canyon Ultimate AL SLX frameset is practically identical weight wise (painted). The fork is also their top-level affair, which weights 320g, so it may be a very similar type of ride to the S-Works Allez. Available in mechanical only.

CrankAddictsRich

by CrankAddictsRich

robertbb wrote:
Wed Feb 28, 2018 2:48 am
Thanks CAR. Interesting... were the Specialized versions available in mechanical, or Di2 only like the S-Works one?

Slightly OT, but my Canyon Ultimate AL SLX frameset is practically identical weight wise (painted). The fork is also their top-level affair, which weights 320g, so it may be a very similar type of ride to the S-Works Allez. Available in mechanical only.
The S-Works Allez was only offered as a Di2 only option in the final year, as a complete bike.... all other years, and the frame set only, were only offered as mechanical. I think its incorrect to assume that the S-Works Allez and Canyon AL SLX will ride similar based strictly on weight.

robertbb

by robertbb

CrankAddictsRich wrote:
Wed Feb 28, 2018 2:54 am
robertbb wrote:
Wed Feb 28, 2018 2:48 am

The S-Works Allez was only offered as a Di2 only option in the final year, as a complete bike.... all other years, and the frame set only, were only offered as mechanical. I think its incorrect to assume that the S-Works Allez and Canyon AL SLX will ride similar based strictly on weight.
It's hard to know without riding one, which I'd really, really love to do. Was the one on facebook located in Melbourne, by any chance? 8)

CrankAddictsRich

by CrankAddictsRich

robertbb wrote:
Wed Feb 28, 2018 4:17 am

It's hard to know without riding one, which I'd really, really love to do. Was the one on facebook located in Melbourne, by any chance? 8)
Nope... it is in Madison, Wisconsin. It is a size 54, the guy is asking for $2500, it is built up with 1x SRAM Force.

CrankAddictsRich

by CrankAddictsRich

Was the "grafitti" Allez sprint alreayd released in the US? I don't think I've seen anyone post any build pics.

IrrelevantD

by IrrelevantD

@CrankAddictsRich
Yes.... that's a 2018 model in the US along with the flat black with the American Flag forks and the Chameleon Purple (what I have).
* There is a 70% chance that what you have just read has a peppering of cynicism or sarcasm and generally should not be taken seriously.
I'll leave it up to you to figure out the other 30%. If you are in any way offended, that's on you.

LD001

by LD001

Love my new bike. Allez Sprint Acid Pink with S-works aerofly handlebar, S-works SL stem, S-works Power Arc saddle, full Ultegra and Reynolds Tubular wheels (quite old but still going strong) with 26mm S-works allround tubulars 26mm.

CrankAddictsRich

by CrankAddictsRich

IrrelevantD wrote:
Sun Mar 04, 2018 5:14 pm
@CrankAddictsRich
Yes.... that's a 2018 model in the US along with the flat black with the American Flag forks and the Chameleon Purple (what I have).
Yes, I know it is a 2018 model, but I'm asking if it has actually been released yet for sale... in 2017, they released the frames gradually, almost in waves. A friend of mine is interested in the grafitti model and but the shop has told him its not available. I'm trying to advise him of whether or not he should wait for it, if it hasn't actually been released yet.

IrrelevantD

by IrrelevantD

CrankAddictsRich wrote:
Mon Mar 05, 2018 12:13 am
Yes, I know it is a 2018 model, but I'm asking if it has actually been released yet for sale... in 2017, they released the frames gradually, almost in waves. A friend of mine is interested in the grafitti model and but the shop has told him its not available. I'm trying to advise him of whether or not he should wait for it, if it hasn't actually been released yet.
Yes. It was available when I bought mine back in late September. I almost switched my order to that one about 3 weeks after I ordered mine because I was getting tired of waiting, they had no ETA, and graffiti were available in the system. Ultimately, my shop got with the Specialized rep and was able to locate my frame.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com