201x Specialized Allez Sprint DSW and Gen2

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

IrrelevantD

by IrrelevantD

AyBee wrote:
Fri Jan 26, 2018 6:16 pm
Such a good looking bike - I'm 172cm tall and ride a Giant Propel in size S (90mm stem) but can't decide whether I'd be a 52 or 54 - looking to pick one up to race on :) Help!!
Not sure if this helps, but I'm 176.5cm, I rode a Size M Propel with a 100mm stem and switched to a 56 Allez Sprint (also 100mm). I found the 56 Allez to be ever so slightly bigger than the M Propel. Just looking at the geometry for both at the respective websites, I'm going to say you probably will want to go with the 52 if the Propel fits right for you. Even at that, the reach is still going to be a little bit longer, and the stack is going to be a about 2cm shorter.

Are you just buying the frame and building it up, or are you buying the whole bike? If the latter, go to a shop and ride them both. Get them to swap out the stem on the 54 for the test ride. I will say, having switched from the Propel myself, the Allez is a bit more nimble bike. I wouldn't go so far as to say it's twitchy, but if you don't pay attention you can make some unintentional course changes until you get used to it.
* There is a 70% chance that what you have just read has a peppering of cynicism or sarcasm and generally should not be taken seriously.
I'll leave it up to you to figure out the other 30%. If you are in any way offended, that's on you.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

TLN

by TLN

How do you guys route cable through the frame? pulled the cable accidentally, should've attach something to it. Cannot put it back: hole right next to BB is very small, cannot get my jagwire routing tool in there.
His: Orbea Orca OMX
Hers: Cannondale Synapse HM Disc

SpecializedColnago

by SpecializedColnago

It’s easier to go from the bottom to the top when rerouting the cables because you can undo the small Allen screw and remove the access ports at the top of the down tube and use a pick to grab the inner shift wire. I will then use the thin plastic tubing that comes already installed on the framesets and slide the tubing down the wire from the top to the bottom. Then remove the inner wire while keeping the plastic liner installed. Now you can reverse the procedure and run the bare inner cable down the down tube through the plastic liner. Just remove the plastic liner after the cable pokes through the 2 bottom holes.

TLN

by TLN

Easier said then done. But what to do if I pulled the wire already, and I need to get it through the hole on the bottom?

CrankAddictsRich

by CrankAddictsRich

If you're regularly building/running cable in your own bikes, pick up the park tool magnetic cable tool set. Its not expensive and makes the job so easy.

TLN

by TLN

I've picked up magnetic tool from jagwire. Looks exactly the same. Problem is, it doesn't fit through the hole in the bottom bracket.
I.e. if I attach the magnetic end, I cannot get the wire through small hole.

morganb

by morganb

TLN wrote:
Fri Jan 26, 2018 11:12 pm
How do you guys route cable through the frame? pulled the cable accidentally, should've attach something to it. Cannot put it back: hole right next to BB is very small, cannot get my jagwire routing tool in there.
I ran top to bottom, but I also ran my cables through the brake stop (dremeled out), then the headtube, then the downtube. Once I got it to the headtube I taped a shift cable to it as its a bit stiffer and pushed that through the BB area. I may have use a hooked spoke to pull the cable out of the downtube into the BB area I can't remember.

SpecializedColnago

by SpecializedColnago

TLN wrote:
Sat Jan 27, 2018 8:59 pm
Easier said then done. But what to do if I pulled the wire already, and I need to get it through the hole on the bottom?
I think you are misunderstanding the directions I posted. My directions account for the wire already being pulled out of the frame. That is the whole reason you have to initiallly come from the bottom with the inner shift cables and run them to the top. Of coarse the procedure I use is reliant on you having the thin plastic outer liners to temporarily leave in the frame until you run the inner shift wire back through from the top. This might seem like a lot of extra work but it only takes about 3 minutes to run all of the cables through the bare frame when the cabling has already been pulled out including the rear brake housing in the top tube. This is part of the reason why the cable stops are removable on the down tube.

messyjordan

by messyjordan

Hi From HK
I built my Allez Sprint with Di2 and NOW i have question..
Can i install EE brake for it in Size 49.

Please help.
Thanks

dudemanppl

by dudemanppl

No eeBrake for you.

cassard

by cassard

My friend's Allez sprint for Crit race in montreal. Funky 1x11 set-up.
54T up front
1 wheel with 10-42 for hill races
1 wheel with 11-25 for criterium

the bike wasn't finished on the picture but he installed a green handlebar tape to match the saddle

jlok

by jlok

What RD to work with that 42T?
Rikulau V9 DB Custom < BMC TM02 < Litespeed T1sl Disc < Giant Propel Advanced SL Disc 1 < Propel Adv < TCR Adv SL Disc < KTM Revelator Sky < CAAD 12 Disc < Domane S Disc < Alize < CAAD 10

cassard

by cassard

force x1 mid cage fitted with tight screw

AyBee

by AyBee

IrrelevantD wrote:
Fri Jan 26, 2018 8:08 pm
AyBee wrote:
Fri Jan 26, 2018 6:16 pm
Such a good looking bike - I'm 172cm tall and ride a Giant Propel in size S (90mm stem) but can't decide whether I'd be a 52 or 54 - looking to pick one up to race on :) Help!!
Not sure if this helps, but I'm 176.5cm, I rode a Size M Propel with a 100mm stem and switched to a 56 Allez Sprint (also 100mm). I found the 56 Allez to be ever so slightly bigger than the M Propel. Just looking at the geometry for both at the respective websites, I'm going to say you probably will want to go with the 52 if the Propel fits right for you. Even at that, the reach is still going to be a little bit longer, and the stack is going to be a about 2cm shorter.

Are you just buying the frame and building it up, or are you buying the whole bike? If the latter, go to a shop and ride them both. Get them to swap out the stem on the 54 for the test ride. I will say, having switched from the Propel myself, the Allez is a bit more nimble bike. I wouldn't go so far as to say it's twitchy, but if you don't pay attention you can make some unintentional course changes until you get used to it.
Thanks - currently have an old Aeroad which has 10speed di2 so just looking for the frame although may end up buying a whole bike, stripping down and selling everything I don't want if I can't find the frame on its own. I could go and find a 52 and try it out, but always feel guilty test riding a bike I won't buy at the end of the test.

AyBee

by AyBee

cassard wrote:
Tue Feb 06, 2018 3:06 am
My friend's Allez sprint for Crit race in montreal. Funky 1x11 set-up.
54T up front
1 wheel with 10-42 for hill races
1 wheel with 11-25 for criterium

the bike wasn't finished on the picture but he installed a green handlebar tape to match the saddle

That looks great, I do like 1x setups but I think the saddle needs to match the forks or be black...

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com