Bora One Tubs - 35 or 50

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

nibby

by nibby

have decided to get the One's over the ultra, or maybe ultras if a set comes up on ebay cheap enough but the main problem I'm struggling with is that I prefer the look of the 50's but the 35's might suit my riding style more i.e. all round terrain with the emphasis on hills.

Anyone have or had both? Is there a big enough difference between the 35 and 50's to really notice? I'm not a heavy rider, 142 lbs.

If not and because I'm a tart the 50's for me make a bike look great

they will be tubs whatever I decide.
Any feedback appreciated.
cheers

Calnago
In Memoriam

by Calnago

@Nibby: I have both the 2015 35's and 50's as well as pre 2015 Ultra Twos (50). Sounds like you prefer the look of the 50's on your bike. Get them. I tried the 35's first because I already was very familiar with the pre 2015 50mm depth Boras. Loved them so much I got the new 50's as well. The difference in wind is not all that great. The new 50's are better than the old 50's in that regard. And with the tubulars you should be able to use 25mm tires with far fewer clearance issues than the new clincher version and even the pre 2015 tubular version. That was huge for me as with my C59 and EPQ the clearance was a bit of an issue with the pre 2015 version. Not so with the new tubulars. Running 25mm Veloflex Arrenbergs/Roubaixs with no issues.
Colnago C64 - The Naked Build; Colnago C60 - PR99; Trek Koppenberg - Where Emonda and Domane Meet;
Unlinked Builds (searchable): Colnago C59 - 5 Years Later; Trek Emonda SL Campagnolo SR; Special Colnago EPQ

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

nibby

by nibby

@Calnago, thanks for the advice. Yes prefer the look of the deeper 50's. Do you think I would be losing any sort of advantage using the 50's for hillier courses? that was why I was thinking 35's but as long as it's not massive the 50's will do it.

So all things being equal would you say the 35's are quicker uphill and by how may seconds for example?

all the best

sawyer

by sawyer

nibby - the difference is marginal and tbh the only times it might be noticeable are (1) windy conditions - 35s will be easier to handle (2) blasting along at 45km/h+ where the 50s will hold speed a bit better

Get what you like the look of!
----------------------------------------
Stiff, Light, Aero - Pick Three!! :thumbup:

Timujin

by Timujin

nibby, fact is, buy either and you will have buyers guilt for a day, until you get on them and then forget the other existed...

both are immense wheelsets... i have the 35mm ultras, 50mm ones.... i think i should have bought one set and just invested in a coach to get the most of my legs haha

steventran

by steventran

Timujin

I have the Ultra 35s and was considering buying the One 50s. Appreciate the feedback. Maybe I'll save the money on the second pair and invest in a Kickr or something else.

Calnago
In Memoriam

by Calnago

nibby wrote:@Calnago, thanks for the advice. Yes prefer the look of the deeper 50's. Do you think I would be losing any sort of advantage using the 50's for hillier courses? that was why I was thinking 35's but as long as it's not massive the 50's will do it.

So all things being equal would you say the 35's are quicker uphill and by how may seconds for example?

all the best

:lol:
I suppose in the world of "marginal gains" and Disneyland, then by virtue of the 35's being a few grams lighter, they would probably, theoretically at least, be faster. Now that I've conceded that to the Einsteins, physicists, and gravity experts of the cycling world, I will say that I have them both and in the real world can't tell the difference to be honest. For all out speed with no other considerations I'd say the pre 2015 Boras with 23mm tubulars are the fastest. The "old" rims fit 23mm tubulars better. But the new ones are more stable and fit 25mm tubulars better. That is better for me.

Get the ones that suit your fancy.

I have not had a situation coming off a big mountain yet in windy, gusty conditions. Was stuck in some strong perpendicular crosswinds on one occasion in a flat open area with the 35's and could feel it so I guess with the 50's I'd feel it a little bit more, but it wasn't disconcerting at all. Really nice wheels, whichever version you get.
Colnago C64 - The Naked Build; Colnago C60 - PR99; Trek Koppenberg - Where Emonda and Domane Meet;
Unlinked Builds (searchable): Colnago C59 - 5 Years Later; Trek Emonda SL Campagnolo SR; Special Colnago EPQ

Lafolie

by Lafolie

Hey Cal - you got my mouth watering !LOL

Timujin

by Timujin

steventran wrote:Timujin

I have the Ultra 35s and was considering buying the One 50s. Appreciate the feedback. Maybe I'll save the money on the second pair and invest in a Kickr or something else.

You'll be a better cyclist for it too... Top quality turbo/PM and if you can afford a coach... On the ultra 35s the way they roll you will ruin your club mates!!! I've been somewhat lucky I've never ridden anything but campag wheels (by default really) so wouldn't even know how the others are just know that campag boras are immense....

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

nibby

by nibby

great stuff, thanks for all the help/advice everyone. Looks like the 50's dark label for me :)

the dark label is faster yes? :)

joking by the way :)

all the best and looking forward to trying them out. This will be my first set of deep sections and my first set of Campag wheels, cant wait :)

Timujin

by Timujin

[emoji23][emoji23][emoji23] mate I had the same headfu**k dark or bright... Went dark... What do they say "once you go black you don't go back"

colster

by colster

Am currently riding the "old" Bora Ultra 2’s on 25mm tubs, and absolutely love them, but have been considering swapping to the new wider 35mm as I live in yorkshire, so ride mostly classics style hilly windy terrain.
Reading this thread has given me pause for thought, but let me ask a question of the guys who have both - do you ever ride a 50mm on the rear and a 35mm up front? Any advantage to be had?

Timujin

by Timujin

Another YorkshireMan!!! Welcome
I would try but they're of a different form, I have 50tubs and 35clinchers hence wouldn't be a fair test, scientifically speaking

BugsBunny7788

by BugsBunny7788

Does anyone know where the current model Boras are made?

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

SLight

by SLight

They are made in Vicenza - Italy.