Thinking about running 1x10 for youth races

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

emcardle

by emcardle

I'm thinking about running 1x10 for youth races.
36x11 would give me the gear rollout I need. I have Sram Red 2013 with a 110bcd crankset.
I have a few questions about running this. How would I set up the single chainring on a Sram red crankset? I don't want to spend much money.
What would the chain line be like with this? Would I need a chain guide?

Thanks

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

pushstart

by pushstart

This doesn't answer specifics of your question, but I recently converted my commuter/CX bike to SRAM 1x10. I replaced my 36/46 rings with a 46t X-SYNC ring. It is an outer ring, but teeth are offset inboard to help center chainline. If you are really just gonna run a 36t you can choose whatever narrow/wide you want and mount on inside for best chainline. OTOH with a 36t you might be spending more time on the outside of the cassette? Some frames might accommodate a 42t as inner ring too. (I am assuming here that the 110 bcd SRAM Red spider is not a proprietary design.)

I also installed a mtb clutch derailleur, since I wanted to use an 11-36 cassette (11-36 + 46t is same range as 11-28 + 36t/46t rings), but I rode around on my 11-28 + Rival derailleur for awhile. I suspect for road riding the clutch derailleur is not really necessary to keep chain on? Narrow/wide ring did great for the bit of road riding I did. No chain retension device was needed. For riding in single track, the clutch derailleur is really nice (quiet, no dropped chains), though.

On the whole I am very happy with the setup, though for strictly road riding I think the tighter gear spacing is worth the "hassle" of the front shifting apparatus.

emcardle

by emcardle

Thanks for that, the reason I am thinking about this is because the low gears we have to use (usually 52x16) dont really warrant 2 rings. On the crankset would i need spacers for the chainring when i take one off?

pushstart

by pushstart

Yes, if you wanted to use the same bolts, you would need spacers. The SRAM X-SYNC ring comes with the spacers, which is nice.

You could do 1x10 without a narrow/wide, but suspect you would have to deal with dropped chains unless you use a chain guide.

Pottsy

by Pottsy

I recently set this up for a junior.
DA Di2 I increased the spring tension in the RD & fitted a praxis 40t narrow wide & put a K-Edge cross catcher on for extra protection.
Set up with a junior cassette as well.

He loved it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

victorduraace

by victorduraace

Pottsy, more pics please
this bike looks sweet <3

Pottsy

by Pottsy

Full bike with legal race wheels

Heat shrink the cables. Keep it tidy.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

MRM

by MRM

Terrific!

Junior always sounds like some kid riding around on a S-Works Nibali frame with lightweight wheels. :lol:

pushstart

by pushstart

That is an inspiration [for my kids' bikes when they get older]!

LouisN

by LouisN

What's the maximum length per pedal revolution allowed ?

Louis :)

emcardle

by emcardle

Im racing in holland in a while and the rollout there is 7 meters here in ireland its 6.94

LouisN

by LouisN

ok. It shold come around 45 X 14 then...

I know running standard cassettes is lighter than a junior one (especially since this is WW ;), although a few people here have made very light junior cassettes), but the difference in gearing is smaller running a bigger chainring in front like a 45T and a junior 14-25 cassette.

I'd choose 45 X 14 over 36 X 11 personnally.

Louis :)

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com