New ENVE 2.2 SES with new Brake Surface

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

morrisond

by morrisond

These came out two days ago and I'm surprised no one has posted them yet.

They have new brake surfaces (doesn't look that great) along with 2.2 Tubs at 281 Grams each and it looks lie 4.5 tubs at only 12 grams heavier than 3.4 Tubs at 370f and 399r.

The 2.2's should build into some really nice light wheels and if the new braking surface is any good they will stop as well.

I wasn't that impressed by 3.4's for braking but loving my new Bora's, night and day better.

http://www.bikerumor.com/2015/07/02/pc1 ... ore-104745

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

VTBike

by VTBike

Hmmm... great call out. I wonder how long it will be before the entire lineup gets the upgraded braking surface.

Disagree about not looking great.. just looks like woven carbon, similar to the bora's - no?

After reading the thread on bora vs. enve, i'm quite curios as to how the bora's actually perform. I tested out the enves, and reynolds here in the NW, lots of 40mph+ decents, and i'm 200 lbs. I found the enves to be quite good (dry tests only), and better than the reynolds. But i've never tried boras - nor do I know where to demo these around Portand, OR.

morrisond

by morrisond

To me Bora's look better as the whole rim is woven, the attraction of carbon wheels from the beginning was a uniform surface.

That's only one pic - others may look better.

You have to try the Bora's the braking really is that good and I outweigh you by a good amount...I've had 3.4's before.

spdntrxi

by spdntrxi

color me a fan of the uniform surface.. woven or not, do prefer uniform. My Enve's brake fine for me.
2024 BMC TeamMachine R Building
2018 BMC TImeMachine Road
2002 Moots Compact-SL- getting aero look makeover
2019 Parlee Z0XD - "classified"
2023 Pivot E-Vault - completed project, full Xplr package

tharmor

by tharmor

The best thing the enve's had going for them (aside from the weight) was that the braketrack was almost invisible. Bummed to see this new direction. I second the notion that I've never had issues with he braking performance.

wheelsONfire

by wheelsONfire

You may aswell buy Ax Lightness Stream 38 which is with molded and reinforced holes and weight is 9 grams more per rim (only).
You'll get 26mm wide rims with 38mm depth. My Tune (Mig45/Mag150) version is just under 1000grams.
Bikes:

Ax Lightness Vial EVO Race (2019.01.03)
Open *UP* (2016.04.14)
Paduano Racing Fidia (kind of shelved)

Ex bike; Vial EVO D, Vial EVO Ultra, Scott Foil, Paduano ti bike.

mrlobber

by mrlobber

^^^ agree.

Riding SES 6.7 with Enve pads, I'm not at all impressed with the braking power in the wet.
Minimum bike categories required in the stable:
Aero bike | GC bike | GC rim bike | Climbing bike | Climbing rim bike | Classics bike | Gravel bike | TT bike | Indoors bike

kode54

by kode54

my SES 3.4's braking surface is not bad. the SES 4.5 braking is better. the SES 6.7 is not so great. i'm using Enve pads with all...but noticed that some of the compound looks different from year to year. maybe that has something to do with it. i have 2 sets of SES 3.4...and one brakes much better than the other.
- Factor Ostro VAM Disc
- Factor LS Disc
- Specialized Aethos Disc
- Sturdy Ti Allroad Disc
- Guru Praemio R Disc

dlcrep

by dlcrep

Enve claims visible textured brake surface or not, they all performed identically. I sent these photos and they could not explain why some come out of the mold that way. Pictured below are two 3.4's, both shot with only a couple rides in. Regardless, each looked as pictured before road use. Are you guys running into the same thing?
Attachments
IMG_2074.jpg
IMG_2075.jpg
FullSizeRender (3).jpg
FullSizeRender (4).jpg

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

commfire

by commfire

Anyone know if there are plans to revamp the classic line with these new rim shapes
I would be interested in a wide tubeless version of the classic 45