Gotta get a bike from my sponsor. Which one would you get?

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

Cyco

by Cyco

I'd get the one that fits the best. None of them are bad choices, or particularly heavy so for me that make fit the #1 prioity.
Success is how far you you bounce back up after being knocked down

Erez_Pinarello

by Erez_Pinarello

Ravenmore wrote:Hey all,

Just got on a local team, with the catch that I have to ride a certain brand of bike. I'm trying to figure out which one to go with. I'm likely going to just get a frameset and switch everything over from my current bike. The brands I can choose from:

Orbea
Felt
Cannondale

and I THINK

Time
Scott

The sponsor is going to help me out on the deal, but I will have to pay out of pocket for some of it. I get better deals on some brands than others. I think Orbea and Cannondale will be especially reasonable. Not too familiar with these brands though.

go with the time:
here are atleast 3 reasons why:

1. currect olympic champion road
2. currect world champion road
3. currect world champion TT

you cant beat that..................

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Mario Jr.

by Mario Jr.

go with the time:
here are atleast 3 reasons why:

1. currect olympic champion road
2. currect world champion road
3. currect world champion TT

you cant beat that..................

So what? That doesn´t make the frames better...

N.T

by N.T

well Time is ugly and heavy
Fuelled by kofein

Ravenmore

by Ravenmore

ViperZ - on the stem - you know, I'm not even sure. It came off of a Giant TCR - just liked the look of it and got it for next to nothing. I think the WCS is better and lighter overall, but this ones pretty close and I like the looks of it more, so it stayed.

ViperZ

by ViperZ

OK, Thanks.. It is a nice looking unit! 8)

CaptainWilier

by CaptainWilier

My vote..............Felt F1C.

Ravenmore

by Ravenmore

Well, I met with my sponsor today and signed the rider agreement. Even got my team jersey - gotta order the bibs though.

I told him I want as stiff a frame as possible. He's recommending the Orbea Opal (the Orca is too flexy according to him - the Opal is apparently much much stiffer) and the Felt F1c. He said the F1C would probably be kinda spendy - will probably get a better deal on the Opal. He's going to let me know exact numbers next week.

He actually didn't care for the Scott, btw.

divve

by divve

The Felt according to the latest Tour test is pretty flexible as well. At your weight it doesn't look like a good choice.

Bruiser

by Bruiser

Who makes the frames for Felt?
It's their first year with full carbon.

The Time and the Scott are good frames. I've got a CR1 that is 3 years old and it still gets alot of compliments.

If you want stiffness the answer is the Scott or a Cadd8. Depends if you want alloy or carbon.

foxracer826

by foxracer826

Wait a minute, I know Bettini is Olympic cahmp and Boonen is world champ and they are both on quickstep riding times, but in't Michael Rogers on T-Mobile now?[/quote]

Bruiser

by Bruiser

They pay the WC to ride their frame, how does that make it a good frame?

dbecks7

by dbecks7

Time for sure. Makes one of lightest frames to date, the time vxrs ulteam. pick time

Ravenmore

by Ravenmore

Turns out Time and Scott are being dropped from the list of available options. The sponsor is not carrying them next year. He said he felt like the Scott CR1's ride characteristics broke down over time - like a year or two. Has that been anyone's experience? Just curious.

I haven't seen Tour's stiffness test. I always take press articles with a grain of salt. To much motivation from selling ad space to sponsors.

I guess I'm down to the CAAD8, Orbea Opal, and the F1C. The easy choice would be the CAAD8, but I have to admit I'm intrigued with the carbon frames - never really spent much time on one and am curious.

Samuel Sanchez Gonzalez

by Samuel Sanchez Gonzalez

Ravenmore wrote:Turns out Time and Scott are being dropped from the list of available options. The sponsor is not carrying them next year. He said he felt like the Scott CR1's ride characteristics broke down over time - like a year or two. Has that been anyone's experience? Just curious.

I haven't seen Tour's stiffness test. I always take press articles with a grain of salt. To much motivation from selling ad space to sponsors.

I guess I'm down to the CAAD8, Orbea Opal, and the F1C. The easy choice would be the CAAD8, but I have to admit I'm intrigued with the carbon frames - never really spent much time on one and am curious.

I don't know if it's possible, but with the CAAD8 with Cannondale SI cranks you would get the better bike among this 3 options. Then comes the Opal and as Divve said, the Felt is way too flexy!! Don't take it :shock:

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com