Advice for EPS newbie

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

liam7020

by liam7020

I'm thinking of upgrading to Campag Record EPS but as a first timer electronic user I'd appreciate a little advice from more experience members. I obviously need the shifters, front and rear mechs plus V2 battery. A few questions come to mind:

1) Does the V2 battery include a charger and wiring harness or do these items have to purchased separately?

2) Is the little interface unit included with any of the above or again is it a separate purchase?

3) Finally (probably for now!) does the plastic insert which prevents the cables rubbing on the crankset axle also have to bought separately or is it included with one of the above?

Thanks in advance.
Tarmac SL6 & Campag Record EPS https://weightweenies.starbike.com/foru ... 0&t=153968

"Sometimes you don't need a plan. You just need big balls." Tom Boonen

Mockenrue

by Mockenrue

1) It doesn't include the charger (separate purchase) but the wiring harness is hard wired to the battery. The charger doesn't include a mains cable but these are readily available; I found the one from my Nikon camera battery charger to work perfectly.

2) Separate purchase

3) It is included with the battery (a.k.a. 'power unit'.)

Go for it, you won't regret it. I have two bikes with it now and I'm a convert! I still love the mechanical systems too though.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

bfno

by bfno

What he said ^

Word of warning though with the interface make sure you get the V2 interface with the internal battery or you will be sacrificing some diagnostic features.
Venge | Shiv TT | Langster | Dogma 60.1 | CruX | Aeroad CF SLX (WIP)

Butcher
Shop Owner

by Butcher

^ +1

One other thing about the interfaces, if it is a very early one, you'll have even more issues than just sacrificing diagnostic features.

By adding the extension wire to the charge port of the battery, you can put the charging port at the seat post. One less hole to drill in the frame.

liam7020

by liam7020

Many thanks for the info so far lads, very useful!
Tarmac SL6 & Campag Record EPS https://weightweenies.starbike.com/foru ... 0&t=153968

liam7020

by liam7020

Is the metal positioning rod for battery placement essential? Hate buying tools for one-off use.

Harmitc

by Harmitc

I've got a lathe so it was easy to make up a positioning rod from a piece of 5mm steel bar. You will need something to screw into the battery that will allow you position it in the seat tube. For the cost of the Campagnolo tool it might be worth the one off expense.

Butcher
Shop Owner

by Butcher

I too bought a metal rod and cut threads with a cheap tap/die set. Cumbersome, but it worked for several installations

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

liam7020

by liam7020

Good tip! Apart from the price, avaiability of the installation rod in the UK is very sketchy so I took a little trip to B&Q to purchase a steel rod and cheapo tap/die set - 13 quid all in! Worked a treat and battery duly installed. My frame doesn't have a dedicated charging port so I've installed the battery in the normal seat tube position but routed the charging cable, fitted with an extension, back up towards the seatpost. Think I remember another forum member doing something similar and using a piece of foam stop the extension cable rattling about. So far so good but still waiting for a couple of components to arrive so it'll be next week before I can get the system fully fitted. Cheers in the meantime.