Spin seatpost clamp 180 degrease?

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

Damien09

by Damien09

I have heard to spin a seatpost clamp 180 to help spread force better on a carbon seat post. Is it worth wille to spin it? Or do i only need a small offset or is 180 better. Thanks in advance

andrew9

by andrew9

I think "backwards" is always better for carbon post and frame, prevents clamp twisting over the joint or pinching
Miche make a clamp that has a second collar with the slot offset to give the same effect.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

maxxevv

by maxxevv

Depends on the frame cutouts in question. There are some frames which don't need that.

Main thing with the idea is that the cutout slit on the seatclamp be set 180 degrees from that of the frame. It helps prevent pinching especially for carbon posts but it usually will mean requiring a higher torque setting on the clamp to ensure sufficient clamping force. Need to be careful in that aspect.

Damien09

by Damien09

Its a alloy frame and carbon post. And i have heard the slots in the frame can dig into the post if they are lined up. So sliding the clamp oppisite of the frame should be fine and help the slot not to dig in? Thanks for the answers carbon post are a new thing for me.

TMz

by TMz

Damien09 wrote:Its a alloy frame and carbon post. And i have heard the slots in the frame can dig into the post if they are lined up. So sliding the clamp oppisite of the frame should be fine and help the slot not to dig in? Thanks for the answers carbon post are a new thing for me.

Assembly paste and the 5nm has always worked perfectly for me with a variety of carbon posts in alu frames with the collar opening lined up with the cut in the frame.

I worked in a bike shop as a kid (back when everyone was on alu posts and frames) and was warned off rotating the collar on my MTB because of the extra pressure it could put on the post due to you needing a higher torque.

there may be people doing this successfully but as mentioned, assembly paste and 5nm has always done the trick for me, even on clamps rated 8.

Jesper64

by Jesper64

I was considering rotating the seatpost clamp but the Tune instructions said to leave the free end aligned with the seattube cut out. I guess I'll stick by the manufacturers instructions.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

eric01

by eric01

When in doubt, check with the manufacturer.
Specialized Tarmac Sworks SL6, Moots Compact, Carl Strong Titanium