Replace BB bearings with angular contact?

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

MattSoutherden

by MattSoutherden

Well, I've ordered a pair of Enduro Abec-5 ACBs. So we'll see how they go.
Snacking on carrot sticks - Where did it all go so wrong?
-
Finsbury Park CC

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

roadieboy

by roadieboy

MattSoutherden wrote:
roadieboy wrote:I have been using Enduro's stainless angular contact bearings for a while now.

Kayrehn wrote:I used the highest end enduro angular contact bearings bb90 version for half a year before it stops spinning and sounds like everything has been pulverised inside.

I'm confused. Enduro only do one kind of ACB - Standard chromoly steel ones. Are you guys sure you have ACBs and not radial?

Just double checked their website. They definitely sell stainless angular contact BB's, $99.

edit: ...but they do not sell the bearings separately. Weird.

benp

by benp

I use S71806-LLB Enduro Stainless Steel Angular Contact Bike Bearing (30x42x7) on my commuting bike. Only on my second set (25K miles). They see some abuse and are used year round. I do have a fairly good maintenance routine however I am not keen on regularly pushing the bearings out of the BB body and only pop the outside seals out to clean/regrease. They are more expensive (I think 20GBP ea) than the equivalent radial bearing, but the design allows all bearings to share the working load rather than 3 or 4. After issues with other "quality" ceramic BB's (mainly my best bike) I am happy to run with bearings that keep my bike on the road rather than in the garage awaiting parts.

I use these bearings with a Rotor 3D+ crankset and it is easy to apply sufficient preload using a combination of washers and the preload ring.