Replace BB bearings with angular contact?

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

MattSoutherden

by MattSoutherden

I have a BOR 688 crank and BSA-86 BB. The bearings have gone, and given the way that the bearings/cups/crank interact I was considering replacing them with some angular contact bearings. The BB cups would support the outer race, and the crank arms squeeze against the inner race when preload nut is tightened.

As this is a daily use commuting/cross bike I'm after reliability.

Is this a reasonable plan?
Snacking on carrot sticks - Where did it all go so wrong?
-
Finsbury Park CC

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

dmulligan

by dmulligan

I just upgraded my BB bearings from radial to angular contact last night and rode them for the first time today. I use Ultegra Hollowtech II cups and enduro bearings from EnduroForkSeals.com.

Previously I had been using the enduro ABEC 3 bearings and found them to not be noticeably better than my Ultegra bearings were. Without a chain my crankset would only turn half to one and a half revolutions if I tried to spin it. I don't think my threads or bottom bracket shell faces are perfectly aligned causing the crankset axle to bind a little. However with the angular contact bearings my crankset spins and spins. This morning my bike felt a little easier to pedal for the speed I was doing on a very familiar route. I cannot speak to their durability, not until at least next year.

David

goodboyr

by goodboyr

Just a tip that these bearings like more preload than regular ones.

TheKaiser

by TheKaiser

dmulligan wrote:Previously I had been using the enduro ABEC 3 bearings and found them to not be noticeably better than my Ultegra bearings were. Without a chain my crankset would only turn half to one and a half revolutions if I tried to spin it. I don't think my threads or bottom bracket shell faces are perfectly aligned causing the crankset axle to bind a little. However with the angular contact bearings my crankset spins and spins. This morning my bike felt a little easier to pedal for the speed I was doing on a very familiar route. I cannot speak to their durability, not until at least next year.

David

I have read that while angular contact bearings allow, and indeed demand more preload, I have also read that they will have slightly more friction, all else being equal. In your case it sounds like the opposite was the case.

Does anyone know if they are more tolerant of misalignment than their radial counterparts?

One other thought...Does Enduro quote a seal type on their bearings? Is it possible that the angular contact models you purchased have a less aggressive or lower pressure seal which might account for the reduced friction?

goodboyr

by goodboyr

Perhaps in theory but not in practice. Mine always spun easier than regular bearings.

ghostinthemachine

by ghostinthemachine

It may be the difference between "stock" cycle bearings, specified to a price and not hugely amazing quality and decent quality aftermarket bearings.

WMW
in the industry

by WMW

TheKaiser wrote:Does anyone know if they are more tolerant of misalignment than their radial counterparts?

Should be. But your BB should be aligned well enough for minimal friction with radial bearings.

I wonder if these new BB standards really make sense. Stiffer than the old style, but so many people seem to have issues. And the larger axles will inherently have more resistance even if everything is perfect.
formerly rruff...

dmulligan

by dmulligan

I guess i wasn't clear earlier. I believe that my bottom bracket shell is misaligned which caused my radial bearings to not spin freely. This experience was with the mediocre Ultegra bearings as well as with high quality Enduro bearings. Using angular contract bearings making no other changes, same cups and being press, spin much freer than ever before on that bike. So yes they are more tolerant to misalignment.

I do plan to get my bottom bracket shell refaced to correct the misalignment.

Sent from my Oneplus One using Tapatalk

roadieboy

by roadieboy

I have been using Enduro's stainless angular contact bearings for a while now. My last set afforded my 1,500 mountain bike miles without a problem until the very end, what ended up doing them in was a 24 mile mountain bike race on sandy trails during a thunderstorm.

ras11

by ras11

I only have ~6mo on my set. Installed in a set of Lightning cups/cranks. I did not notice any major differences yet, and spin smooth without creaks or squeaks. I purchased the enduro angular bearings and tools from Wheelsmfg, and happy with the quality and prices for a do-it-yourselfer.

That said, I'd like to see more angular bearing options for hubs. There might be a reason, not sure the load/space designs of bearings. That said Shimano still uses loose ball angular bearings!
:-) Toys-R-Us

Kayrehn

by Kayrehn

I used the highest end enduro angular contact bearings bb90 version for half a year before it stops spinning and sounds like everything has been pulverised inside. LBS warned me against them right from the start when they installed it for me, and sad to say, they are right. Have no idea why they are so highly reviewed, for my case they see just terrible given their prices.

Sent from my SM-G900F using Tapatalk

MattSoutherden

by MattSoutherden

roadieboy wrote:I have been using Enduro's stainless angular contact bearings for a while now.

Kayrehn wrote:I used the highest end enduro angular contact bearings bb90 version for half a year before it stops spinning and sounds like everything has been pulverised inside.

I'm confused. Enduro only do one kind of ACB - Standard chromoly steel ones. Are you guys sure you have ACBs and not radial?
Snacking on carrot sticks - Where did it all go so wrong?
-
Finsbury Park CC

Rick

by Rick

Angular contact bearings don't seem like a bad idea, but if you check the side-load ratings of radial bearings you will see that they are actually rated to withstand greater side loads than they are radial loads. That is because in a radial (vertical) load, only the 'bottom' half of the bearings are carrying the load, and it is an unequal load distribution, with the "horizontal" bearings lightly loaded and the 'bottom' bearings most heavily loaded. In axial loads, all bearing share roughly equal in the loads.

So I just question whether an angular contact bearing is really needed for a bicycle crank. They probably work just fine though. You could probably preload the hell out of them with no ill effect.

Kayrehn

by Kayrehn

MattSoutherden wrote:
Kayrehn wrote:I used the highest end enduro angular contact bearings bb90 version for half a year before it stops spinning and sounds like everything has been pulverised inside.

I'm confused. Enduro only do one kind of ACB - Standard chromoly steel ones. Are you guys sure you have ACBs and not radial?

The lousy stuff I got was Enduro XD-15 ceramic bb90 bearings kit, probably the lousiest $199 I ever spent on components.

Sent from my SM-G900F using Tapatalk

eric

by eric

Often the ceramic bearings sold for bicycle use have loose fitting seals so they feel "fast" when installed.

This lets in dirt and water and as a result the bearing dies earlier than regular steel bearings.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com