Creaking bb evo supersix

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

malanb

by malanb

I know there is a poat about clearing this issue but I can not find it. Can some one post a link please. My left cup creaks plonks/klings when I stand ans push down. First time riding this bike. Was riding my training bike until today. Thanks
I am using campagnolo UT. Thanks

Calnago
In Memoriam

by Calnago

Save yourself a lot of headache and replace the BB with one of the offerings from Praxis (for campy) or there's a few others as well. Enduro's Torqtite (??), gets good comments and seems to be similar. But if you're using the older Campy PF30 cups the flange just isn't enough to work very well. If you don't go with one of the Praxis type BB conversion kits then be sure to use Loctite 609 plus the appropriate primer on the individual cups.
Colnago C64 - The Naked Build; Colnago C60 - PR99; Trek Koppenberg - Where Emonda and Domane Meet;
Unlinked Builds (searchable): Colnago C59 - 5 Years Later; Trek Emonda SL Campagnolo SR; Special Colnago EPQ

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Antoine

by Antoine

malanb

by malanb

Thanks.

uraqt

by uraqt

Calnago is right on the mark!!

The campy cups will fail every-time... I went though 4 pairs and a few frames...

C

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

lwrncc

by lwrncc

Here's a quick guide to remedy EVO creaks. But it requires some special tools.

1. Requires bearing press. If you don't have a press, skip this step. Remove cranks, re-press bearings. By re-press I don't mean remove, just press to make sure bearings are seated properly. Careful not to over torque the press if you have plastic PF30 shell.
2. Make sure all surfaces are clean, regrease spindle and bearing surfaces. Use thick grease on bearing shields. This prevents water from getting in. Normally little or no grease from the factory.
3. Torque wrench needed here. Install cranks with correct torque. And most importantly, check wave washer for correct pre-load. Use thin spacers to get correct pre-load, this is where most of the creaking comes from.

It is very common for the wave washer to be under-compressed when it comes from the factory, not all bike shops check this, hence all the BB30/Pressfit complaints.
"It doesn't get easier, you just go faster"

http://bb2stem.blogspot.com.au/