Buyer's Guide Orbea

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

Slime

by Slime

Hey everybody,

i want to buy the new Orbea Orca. Did anyone got a ride on it or have one? What's your opinion and experiences about it?

Which of these would be the better choice? Is the Confidis Bike (frame) really better?

Any good/bad things about this bike is welcome.
Thanks

http://www.orbea.com/gb-en/bicycles/orc ... a-cofidis/

http://www.orbea.com/gb-en/bicycles/orca-m20/

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

RussellS

by RussellS

Don't know anything about the Orca, except its a whale. Why would a bike company name a bike after a whale? I had an Orbea Opal from 2008-9-10 or so. The second Orbea model for a few years. Frame and fork were from roughly that time frame. The worst handling bike on the face of the earth. Orbea could not have made it handle worse if they put all of their engineers in one room and told them to make the worst handling bike on earth. It could not have beaten the wretchedness of this bike. It could not be ridden no hands. It twitched and veered side to side. I have experienced the awful handling of a Spanish brand company, Orbea. I will never subject myself to another Orbea or Spanish bike.

stormur

by stormur

I had BMC (3 of them) , Bianchi(2) , Specialized, NeilPryde and BH ( now 2nd one ) - and have to say, Neil and BH are best handling bikes I rode, and comparing to many brands I had in my garage exceptionally well build. 2nd thing is, Orca is not worse name than "asphalt" or "kuma" ;)

Going your way , Orbea should close their business, cause you didn't like it :mrgreen: simply ridiculous. Good for many triathlonists, teams , incl Cofidis - not good enough for you :roll:
Go to Heaven for the climate, Hell for the company.
Mark Twain

I can be wrong, and have plenty of examples for that ;)

Slime

by Slime

So isn't the Orca a great Bike? But wat are the lows?

I thought it is a great choice.

aadamcycle

by aadamcycle

So I currently own a Bianchi Oltre and absolutely love the bike. I rode my local bike shops "shop bike" OMR Orca with zipps and dura ace di2 and bought a frame 3 days later. Mine will be built up with Campy record, Rolf TDF 58's, and selle smp saddle. Its a fantastic bike for the money and hands down is better than my Oltre. As some say it is a little twitchy but it is an all out race bike remember.
put the fun between your legs

Zitter

by Zitter

I've ridden the 2015 Orca m10 for a while and it is a fantastic bike. Ride it before you decide. Updated tubing and geometry are phenomenal improvements and better clearance for 28's. I also own the Ordu TT bike and love it, although the new Ordu w/ less integration is supposed to test faster in the tunnel, about the same as a p3. The OMR Orca frame is the himod and will be 150-200 grams lighter and a bit stiffer, but I rode/raced the OMP and it was plenty still for 180lb of me. Out of the box w/ stock ksyriums, da9000, FSA cockpit, it was low 16's I believe. It felt very planted with my HED belgiums w/ 26mm Panaracer Gravelkings, even on dirt.

Slime

by Slime

Ok thanks

I'll buy the Orca. My thought's about the Orca were not wrong. But which of these should i buy? The OMR or OMP frame. At the Confidis Bike the Crankset is low.

cyclenutnz

by cyclenutnz

RussellS wrote:Don't know anything about the Orca, except its a whale.

No, a Dolphin that kills whales. Nothing wrong with being named after an apex predator.

Not being able to ride no hands is usually a case of bad position on the bike, rather than the fault of the bike (though it can be if the bike is exceptionally bad)

Zitter

by Zitter

I didn't feel the need to go to to the OMR, but if you want that little extra savings and have the cash, it's supposed to be just as comfortable. I race cat 2 on the road, so I think I put it through its paces pretty well. It was a loaner demo bike I had for a while to test

Slime

by Slime

Zitter wrote:I didn't feel the need to go to to the OMR, but if you want that little extra savings and have the cash, it's supposed to be just as comfortable. I race cat 2 on the road, so I think I put it through its paces pretty well. It was a loaner demo bike I had for a while to test

The different is only 500€ but at the OMR Bike is the crank not really good. What's your overall opinion about the Bike?

My other choice would be the Izalco Max 3.0. Would it be the better choice than the Orca?

Krull

by Krull

RussellS wrote:Don't know anything about the Orca, except its a whale. Why would a bike company name a bike after a whale?

colour scheme of the first-generation-orcas.

5736624.jpg

RussellS

by RussellS

cyclenutnz wrote:Not being able to ride no hands is usually a case of bad position on the bike, rather than the fault of the bike (though it can be if the bike is exceptionally bad)

My 8 other bikes could all be ridden no hands. The Orbea Opal could not. Doubt my position was much different on it than all the other bikes. I replaced the Orbea frame with a Ridley Excalibur frame. It rides no hands just fine. Orbea makes or made a wretched handling bike frame. My sympathies to those who think they can master the Orbea frame.

The Orbea Opal could not be ridden no hands. It also rode terrible with hands on the bars. It was too twitchy. Did not go straight. Veered side to side. Handling was bad with hands. Impossible without hands. Guess I expect too much. I want a bike that rides straight and steady. I want to be able to sit up and take my hands off the bars and keep going straight down the road. Guess that is too much to expect in a bike.

kgt

by kgt

I would not spend too much money on that frame. The way it looks... somehow cheap for a hi-end frame.
I have a few friends who used to ride Orcas and none of them was really excited. The new model may be much better though...

Slime

by Slime

Yeah i want to buy the new model.

Should i buy the HMR or the HMP model? The different is only 500€. But at the HMR Bike is the crank not really good.

Or would it be better, if i buy the Focus Izalco Max 3.0?

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

ToffieBoi

by ToffieBoi

Our LBS here sent Orbea a mail and asked about aerodynamics.
They said they focused on the front fork and down tube which is the most important parts for being aerodynamic. So new Orca is as aerodynamic as the old one plus lighter, more stiff and much more comfortable. I totally agree with that (except the aero part, I don't have a wind tunnel to test at my home)

Anyways;
I am riding with 2015 OMP Orca with 2015 Chrous group and Chinese clinchers.
Quite happy with the ride.
It is not the most recommending frame in WW, since frames are quite heavy. But I am pretty sure that, the ride quality and stiffness will just compensate it.
OMR frame should be lighter and stiffer. There were exact numbers on their youtube video, about how much percent OMR frame is stiffer than the OMP frame.