Buyer's Guide Orbea

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

stormur

by stormur

ww is more sport for itself, rather than REAL performance advantage. If for someone here 500g ( in system weight : bike, wheels, rider ) make difference in results over 20-40km TT or 150km stage - apply to Pro Tour immediately - You'll be a star.

This forum "likes" Cannondales, Canyon's, Specialized … and religiously Conti 4000s2 :mrgreen:

There's plenty of bikes WAY better ( and lighther ) than f.e. Tarmac, but if you want to "hear" WOW!, YAY! etc. buy something promoted-advertised-trensetted (pick one ) here.

If you want really nice bike ( often better than mainstream ) buy something form small ( read not heavily advertised ) manufacturer , like BH, Lapierre, Orbea… You'll be pleasantly surprised. Plus you won't see same bike as your behind every corner ;)

Same with wheels : which cause most troubles with stiffness and hub failures over last 10 years ? Zipp. Which is most "recommended" here ? Zipp…. Schizophrenia ?

Corima is waaay better wheels for fraction of Zipp price. Same FSA/ Vision. Same DT SWISS.

But if you want to believe in Zipp's marketing babble - your choice.

THINK ! it won't hurt.

You don't have to be in "mainstream" - there's no benefits from that. Really !

There's one exception : your self confidence is so low, so you need every kind of acceptance from everywhere - than I'm wrong, and do not listen to me.
Go to Heaven for the climate, Hell for the company.
Mark Twain

I can be wrong, and have plenty of examples for that ;)

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Slime

by Slime

Yeah that's the thing, why i nlooked for Bikes from Orbea or Focus.

But it didn't answered my questions. Should i buy the OMR(M20 Confidis) Bike or the M20 OMP Bike. The different is 500€.

Or woud it be better if i buy the Focus Izalco Max 3.0?

ToffieBoi

by ToffieBoi

Slime wrote:Yeah that's the thing, why i nlooked for Bikes from Orbea or Focus.

But it didn't answered my questions. Should i buy the OMR(M20 Confidis) Bike or the M20 OMP Bike. The different is 500€.

Or woud it be better if i buy the Focus Izalco Max 3.0?

Sorry I didn't see that message up there.
If you can wait few weeks, I will test the OMR frame and I can write about it.

For extra 500 Euros, you will get 4% more stiff and 150 grams lighter frame. But worse cranks, worse wheels and worse paint scheme (for my taste of course)
On this video, Orbea posted the difference in stiffness between two frames. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CBO3_x8P5q0

I think now, you should decide what is more important for you. I always say, go for a better frame but difference is quite minimal here.
You can buy good quality Chinese tubulars with the 500Euro you save :)

Andrew69

by Andrew69

RussellS wrote:Don't know anything about the Orca, except its a whale. Why would a bike company name a bike after a whale? I had an Orbea Opal from 2008-9-10 or so. The second Orbea model for a few years. Frame and fork were from roughly that time frame. The worst handling bike on the face of the earth. Orbea could not have made it handle worse if they put all of their engineers in one room and told them to make the worst handling bike on earth. It could not have beaten the wretchedness of this bike. It could not be ridden no hands. It twitched and veered side to side. I have experienced the awful handling of a Spanish brand company, Orbea. I will never subject myself to another Orbea or Spanish bike.

So Im not the only person that cant ride their Orbea no hands then?

I thought it was just me (even though I can ride my MTB no hands all day long)

And dont get me started on the worst warranty backup by any bike company on the planet...ever.

Will never buy anything Spanish ever again if they way Orbea treated me is anything to go by!

Bacchus

by Bacchus

RussellS wrote:Don't know anything about the Orca, except its a whale. Why would a bike company name a bike after a whale?

What I heard, Orca is short for ORbea CArbon, not named after a whale.

g32ecs

by g32ecs

In my opinion, the 2010 model is one of the most beautiful frames every made:

I've been hunting for one in my size for years.

Zitter

by Zitter

For 500 euro might as well get the OMR

cany

by cany

Yeah, that's not new but I still think it looks ugly.

MikeMoore

by MikeMoore

g32ecs wrote:In my opinion, the 2010 model is one of the most beautiful frames every made:

No argument from me! I had one but stupidly sold it cos I wasn't using it :(
Weight 74.4kg, FTP 303W => 4.04 W/kg

Retired Bikes
Custom 650B Kingdom Double9
Kinesis Aithein / Kinesis Racelight 4S

Current bikes
Reilly Spectre / Cervelo R3
Pivot Les / Pivot Mach4SL
Ventana El Conquistador

Kermithimself

by Kermithimself

Been riding on Orcas since 2010, and have had no trouble riding without hands, descending with 80+ km/h or sprinting in races. The bike handles everything quite well. Don't know why people have such hate for a bike. I've had 3 and none of them have been anywhere near what I've read here so far. All have been machines that have tackled racing, training, ascending, descending, cornering sprinting etc. with no faults whatsoever.

Go for it, you will not be dissappointed.
------------
If you dream of being famous - think of what birds do to statues.
Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/kermithimself/
Youtube: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCdCPaXwpeXT_LpuEF0REjqw
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/gotlegscycling/