Light Weight Colnago's - Highlighting the Builds

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

mrgray

by mrgray

Wow. That's a looker.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Bobo S&S Steel Bike - 7.5 kg
Oltre XR2- 6.6 kg
Look 585 - 6.8 kg
Look 695 SR :D

mrgray

by mrgray

Another good example in the 6.4 kg territory from irongatsby. Well explained process too re: practicality and aesthetics. Also lots of customization here.

i've come back to add a photo. this is of course from irongatsby and more can be found on page 7 of the link below.

viewtopic.php?t=111418

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Last edited by mrgray on Mon Aug 31, 2015 1:01 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Oltre XR2- 6.6 kg
Look 585 - 6.8 kg

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

mvacolnago

by mvacolnago

Here is my C59 with mad fibers is it just under 6.4 about 220 more with the Bora's

Bely

by Bely

I agree with calnago about putting he bike together should be the best criteria (be it strength, looks and of course budget etc..)one available to the owner. I have the option of making my colnago go lighter (eg. I have a tune KOM saddle) but you know what the Aliante feels so much more comfy - I have since swapped that with a bontrager giving up some grams but not comfort...the seatpost too but honestly not a big fan of the ax lightness nor any of the weight weenie seatposts looks available (still mulling on a deda... I am quite a light fella (69kg @ 1.83m) and not what I would identify as a power rider so honestly I don't feel the flex of the so called "soft" frames!

The thm definitely doesn't brake as well as Ee, however being on ee for so long i wanted to try out the thm (a bit of buyers remorse) but I am going to have to deal with it for a while ;)

Sent from my Nokia 3310
Current
Festka Scala | Pego Respo | English V3 | Colnago EPS Erik Zabel | Colnago V4rs

Incoming

mrgray

by mrgray

Bely,
your comparison of EE and Fibulas. Is that on the same wheels? I just bought some Fibulas (mainly because they looked so very nice on your Pink) and so if they are no good in the braking department looks like I am in for a healthy dose of the buyers remorse myself.

I agree it is not light at any cost and it is not light just for the photo and weigh in. For me it is light but also ride it and rely on it.

The thing is there will be some experimentation as one tries to find that line.

Also mvacolnago
- awesome scheme on the frame!
- i've never seen a seatpost like that on a C59. i presume it is the colnago seatpost. what is with the cradle setup?
- how are those madfibre's? they look great and there are some great reviews of them on the web. what is your take on them? i take it they are no longer available?
Oltre XR2- 6.6 kg
Look 585 - 6.8 kg

mvacolnago

by mvacolnago

Mrgray, That saddle and seat post are Selle Italia Monolink, the post was custom painted to match the frame. I really like my Madfibers, crazy light, very stiff under accelerations with no brake rub. The brake track is fiberglass on the mad fibers so you have to use cork pads. The largest drawback now is that there is no where to repair or replace em.

DR08

by DR08

Here's my recently completed C60. 6.83kg as pictured. Certainly not as light as some others, but not bad considering it's a size 61 traditional.

mrgray

by mrgray

@dr08 - very nice and traditional as well! i agree, a very good weight for a large bike with a very solid frame. love the black up top.
Oltre XR2- 6.6 kg
Look 585 - 6.8 kg

corky

by corky

Yea for traditional..... First c60 pic that shows what they really look like ..... Well played sir!

mrgray

by mrgray

found another bike to put into this running list. maverick_1.

viewtopic.php?f=10&t=131714

also photo below from same post but included here for easy ref along with build list. Also weights. Again this text is from post linked above but included here for ref. a very good weight here on a bike where low weight pretty clearly wasn't the only priority.

Built list:
1. Frameset/fork/seatpost - 45s C60 in OFCG Classic colors (1146gr + 411gr uncut + 224gr)
2. Selle Italia C64 saddle
3. SR groupset with DP rear calipers
4. Easton SLX EC90 bars
5. Mavic skewers
6. Look Keo blade
7. Elite gold Patao cage
8. Silva bar tape
9. Extralite OC stem in 110mm.

Total weight:
6160 grams with black Obies (Veloflex Sprinter + Record front)
6260 grams with gold Obies (Veloflex Carbon F+R)
6380 grams with Ventoux (Conti Sprinter with 12/29 SR cassette)

Oltre XR2- 6.6 kg
Look 585 - 6.8 kg

Bantamben

by Bantamben

Here was my c59 a couple years ago size 61 it was just under 6.8 with a powertap G3 which is pretty light for a big bike. It used to have zero gravity brakes but in this picture I had campy brakes and a heavier stem. Great bike problem I could never get a colnago to fit my stack height requirements because the size bike I needed to get it had way too slack a sea tube and this too much setback.

So I decided to build my own bikes. Here's one of mine. With Richard Sachs pegorichie Columbus uber oversize tubing.

Build was super record with ti crank
ZG brakes
Enve classic tubulars with powertap G3 1250 grams and conti competition tires
Alien use seatpost 3t carbon bars and 3t team stem
Lightweight ti skewers
Coulda went lighter with a different saddle and cables but it was very functional everyday bike.

irongatsby

by irongatsby

Mr. Gray, thanks for the mention. If I replaced my leather bar tape, saddle & bars with lighter components, I can drop the weight by about 200g (6.4kg to 6.2kg). Replacing the brakes and the cranks would save another 200g or so, putting the bike right around 6kg or even under. Going to a lighter wheelset should definitely put the bike in the sub 6 territory, but I'd make sure those wheels are strong enough for my weight (77kg).

mrgray

by mrgray

and now we have a new one from a brand new member. cedced74. his intro thread is here viewtopic.php?f=10&t=134953

Frameset : Colnago C60 (RSBK, size 50s)
Headset : Extralite UltraStar + HyperCap
Seatpost : Colnago
Seat : Ax Lightness Leaf
Stem : Extralite HyperStem 110mm
Bar : 3T Ergonova Team Stealth 420mm
Bartape : Specialized Roubaix
bottle cages : Tacx Uma carbon
Cables : Alligator i link
Brakes : Dura Ace 9000
Front derailleur : Dura Ace 9070 di2
Rear derailleur : Dura Ace 9070 di2 with Ceramicspeed pulley wheels
Crankset : Dura Ace 9000 (52/36 chainrings) with Stages Cycling powermeter
Bottom Bracket : Ceramicspeed
Chain : Yaban Titanium
Shifters : Dura Ace 9070 di2
Cassette : Dura Ace 9000 (12/28)
Wheels : Lightweight Meilenstein Obermayer gen III
Tires : Veloflex Extreme (front) and Carbon (rear)
Pedals : Time Xpresso 15
garmin mount : K Edge

Total weight 6,26kg,
Oltre XR2- 6.6 kg
Look 585 - 6.8 kg

sawyer

by sawyer

That is a nice build and great weight from cedced74

There is a lot to be said for just going full mechanical 2015 Record, perhaps with the Ti SR chainset to drop some grams, and then some Bora One 35 tubs

With sensible but light bars, stem etc, that should still come out at 6.4 / 6.5kg
----------------------------------------
Stiff, Light, Aero - Pick Three!! :thumbup:

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

mrgray

by mrgray

+1
I've been thru some weight weenie extremism and I'm coming back to that position (more or less). In particular after getting obsessed with LW wheels my favourites right now are the second hand hyperons I picked up. Tubs, Ultra 2s, how they make hubs like this, so smooth. I've got challenger strada tyres that came with. Not unbelievable but OK and 25 mm. Now I just want to get rid of my slightly less than perfectly robust stem and get that solid feel.

It is pertinent that I am not light.
Oltre XR2- 6.6 kg
Look 585 - 6.8 kg