Second set of wheels (clincher recommendations)

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

Timujin

by Timujin

fogman wrote:I have the following:
1. Bora One 50 tubulars for racing.
2. Bora One 35 clinchers for training.
3. Shamal clinchers for when I anticipate long, steep descents with prolonged braking.
No need to change pads or brake spacing between the Boras. Need to change both the pads and brake spacing when changing to the Shamals.
My ideal Campagnolo clincher wheel would be a Bullet 35 Mille with 24.2mm brake track if they would ever make something like that.

+1 on the bullet mille... would be great.

Also a new 24.2mm wide 20mm neutron type clincher with black brake track (like the Rsys).... Hyperons will just end up in a divorce for me!!

Timujin

by Timujin

steventran wrote:Now that I've had more time to think about it, what would be ideal is if Campagnolo would widen the Hyperons and allow the purchase of mixed wheel sets. I'd buy a Hyperon front with a Bora 50 rear to go with my Bora 35s. Three effective wheel sets for the price of two.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Ive had many arguments with Campag on this matter... then they sent me a pricelist haha cheaper in most cases to buy the wheelset!

I want a 80mm rear for my new Aero Project!!!

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Marin

by Marin

You want an 80mm front for you aero project, height in the rear doesn't matter nearly as much! :D

reknop

by reknop

Citizenfox wrote:There's lot's of Mavic bashing here but my Kysiriums have been great.

I'm also very happy with the Mavic Ksyrium SLR wheels, still a very reliable workhorse. Exalith rim surface however would require to change brake pads when switching from the Bora wheels, which is not very practical.
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
https://www.cycling-review.net

Timujin

by Timujin

Marin wrote:You want an 80mm front for you aero project, height in the rear doesn't matter nearly as much! :D

80mm/50mm... takes care of the crosswinds too.... never ridden 80mm front, not sure how it would handle on a windy day

mimason

by mimason

I've ridded 808s for fun on a windy day and normally ride 65s every day. I'm accustomed to it in Florida and wind typically does not affect my riding. No hands free of course. Its the gusty wind that is the problem.

Still, on windy days you'd be better off with a shallower wheel. If you are a light weight don't do it. I'm 84kg.

Denavelo

by Denavelo

Save yourself the grief. Get a set of good hubs and lace to some nice low alloy rims. I laced up a set of Extralite SLX hubs to Kinlin XR22T rims and it's hand down one of the best clincher wheelsets I've ridden to date. Ceramic bearings in the hubs and the rims are 24mm wide. Spin up is amazing and the braking is superb with EE brakes. I'm not a fan of stock alloy wheelsets. Better to build custom ones with better hub options.

Built by Fairwheel bikes, 1379g

Rob English "Mudfoot" 29er | Focus Izalco Max | Firefly #194 Stainless XCR | Firefly #277 | Neilpryde Bura SL 11.9 | Crust Evasion Lite

Timujin

by Timujin

Denavelo wrote:Save yourself the grief. Get a set of good hubs and lace to some nice low alloy rims. I laced up a set of Extralite SLX hubs to Kinlin XR22T rims and it's hand down one of the best clincher wheelsets I've ridden to date. Ceramic bearings in the hubs and the rims are 24mm wide. Spin up is amazing and the braking is superb with EE brakes. I'm not a fan of stock alloy wheelsets. Better to build custom ones with better hub options.

Built by Fairwheel bikes, 1379g

Nice wheels [emoji109]

victorduraace

by victorduraace

looking for some cheaper alternatives? get some training clinchers, say ksyrium/aksium, or build/buy used wheels on: novatec/bitex, mavic/whatever rim and double butted spokes, just ride the hell out of them in bad weather

ScuderiaDouroux

by ScuderiaDouroux

Denavelo wrote:Save yourself the grief. Get a set of good hubs and lace to some nice low alloy rims. I laced up a set of Extralite SLX hubs to Kinlin XR22T rims and it's hand down one of the best clincher wheelsets I've ridden to date.

No offense, but those wheels aren't very attractive and OP stated that he wanted wheels with a black brake track.
Long live the horizontal top tube, standard crankset, and Italian threaded bottom bracket.

sethjs

by sethjs

steventran wrote:This is my concern with getting another pair of tubs. I live in San Francisco and the streets I need to ride to get out of the city are littered with debris. I read that sealant is hit or miss. I guess I could carry a spare tub.

I live in SF, Noe Valley. Frequently do San Bruno Mtn or head up and cross the GGB into Marin. I almost exclusively ride tubulars these days - mostly Veloflex Carbons, sometimes Conti Competitions.

A) I flat on clinchers (Conti 4000s) more frequently than on the tubulars, mile for mile

B) Stans works miracles in the tubulars. Carry it with you. Stick it in if you flat. You'll almost always be fine.

C) PM me if you want routes that avoid the worst of the glass/debris

sawyer

by sawyer

fogman wrote:I have the following:
1. Bora One 50 tubulars for racing.
2. Bora One 35 clinchers for training.
3. Shamal clinchers for when I anticipate long, steep descents with prolonged braking.
No need to change pads or brake spacing between the Boras. Need to change both the pads and brake spacing when changing to the Shamals.
My ideal Campagnolo clincher wheel would be a Bullet 35 Mille with 24.2mm brake track if they would ever make something like that.

You really ought to try the Bora tubulars on those long,steep descents. It is a safer and more fun option in the mountains than either of your clincher wheels. With the new pads the Boras will brake well, even in the wet
----------------------------------------
Stiff, Light, Aero - Pick Three!! :thumbup:

steventran

by steventran

I live in SF, Noe Valley. Frequently do San Bruno Mtn or head up and cross the GGB into Marin. I almost exclusively ride tubulars these days - mostly Veloflex Carbons, sometimes Conti Competitions.

A) I flat on clinchers (Conti 4000s) more frequently than on the tubulars, mile for mile

B) Stans works miracles in the tubulars. Carry it with you. Stick it in if you flat. You'll almost always be fine.

C) PM me if you want routes that avoid the worst of the glass/debris[/quote]

Thanks for the local feedback, Sethjs! Which tires seem to do better in SF? The Carbons or the Comps?

bm0p700f
in the industry

by bm0p700f

I'd say the competition tubs. These are what I use on long rides if I want to avoid punctures. Sealant works wonders.

bm0p700f
in the industry

by bm0p700f

I would also go hand built. Plenty of rims to choose from. Pacenti, h plus son, rude pulse sprint........ Some are lighter than other. Lace to hubs of your choice and viola. Looks are not as important as how the wheel rides. Shamals do not use a wide rim and that would put me right off.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com