Second set of wheels (clincher recommendations)

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

steventran

by steventran

I'm building up an Italian bike and my nice wheels are going to be tubular Bora 35s. Question is, what would be a good clincher set to pair with it for everyday riding?

I'm no climber, but my rides usually involve 2500 to 5000 feet of elevation gain. I'm 5'7" (169cm) tall and weigh anywhere from 145lbs to 165lbs due to lifting sweets to my mouth.

I'm thinking wide, light clinchers (sub 1400g) with black brake tracks. Not limited by material otherwise. I'm considering Ligeros, Bora 50s, Hyperons, or Chinese carbon. Open to hub suggestions for handbuilts as well. Ideas?

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Calnago
In Memoriam

by Calnago

Bora clinchers is the obvious choice that comes to my mind although if it were me I'd just get another set of Bora tubulars. You've already got one set of really nice tubulars. Another will make it just that much easier in the event you do have to have a wheel out of commission for a couple days while you reglue a tire. And I'd use them for everyday wheels. Why not. It's really frustrating being out riding knowing that in your garage just sitting there are the wheels you'd really rather be out on. When are you going to use your "nice wheels" if not everyday. Unless you're looking for a really foul weather use only kind of bike but from the alternatives you list (which includes Boras) that doesn't seem to be the case. So go for the Bora 50's, tubular since you've already bit the bullet anyway on your first pair and you already have the 35's. Additionally, they would be the same width etc and brand and material so no fussing with brake adjustments, pad changes, etc.
Colnago C64 - The Naked Build; Colnago C60 - PR99; Trek Koppenberg - Where Emonda and Domane Meet;
Unlinked Builds (searchable): Colnago C59 - 5 Years Later; Trek Emonda SL Campagnolo SR; Special Colnago EPQ

steventran

by steventran

Thanks for the input. You make a fair point about the brake adjustments and pad changes. The bike will not see any foul weather if I can help it because the paint will be custom.

Timujin

by Timujin

From what you describe the Shamal Mille would fit the bill... no need to change the brake pads.. not as wide as the bora at 20.5mm but bullet proof wheels..1426g, just lose the 26g by not eating a bag of haribo :lol: :lol: :lol:

I own a pair of 35mm for everyday wheel and my neutrons for foul weather

p3dalfaster

by p3dalfaster

I went for the Shimano Dura Ace C35's clinchers - I have the C50 tubs as my main race wheel, and so the C35's are my training wheels. They 're actually not that far away from the C50's in terms of performance. I may actually get a pair of C35 tubs for the more hilly races I do.

sawyer

by sawyer

Bora One clincher 50s would be my choice in your situation - if funds allow

Will mean no brake pad adjustment needed, and you have something more aero when needed

1485g claimed is not bad ...
----------------------------------------
Stiff, Light, Aero - Pick Three!! :thumbup:

nibby

by nibby

I agree with Calnago, 50 bora tubs

Nothing like a nice pair of deep section wheels to make the bike really stand out

What's the bike you are building??

steventran

by steventran

Timujin wrote:From what you describe the Shamal Mille would fit the bill... no need to change the brake pads.. not as wide as the bora at 20.5mm but bullet proof wheels..1426g, just lose the 26g by not eating a bag of haribo :lol: :lol: :lol:

I own a pair of 35mm for everyday wheel and my neutrons for foul weather

I think Campagnolo initially said in the press you wouldn't have to change pads, but I think they have gone back and said red pads for carbon only. I was considering the Shamals, especially the new version, but there have been a few posts about the brake track treatment wearing off prematurely. I also have a friend who owned older Shamals, which he loved until he went with some wider handbuilts on White Industry hubs from BikeHubStore due to increased comfort and stability.

p3dalfaster wrote:I went for the Shimano Dura Ace C35's clinchers - I have the C50 tubs as my main race wheel, and so the C35's are my training wheels. They 're actually not that far away from the C50's in terms of performance. I may actually get a pair of C35 tubs for the more hilly races I do.

I am not considering Dura Ace, but your set up is leading me to pair my Bora 35s with Bora 50s.

nibby wrote:I agree with Calnago, 50 bora tubs

Nothing like a nice pair of deep section wheels to make the bike really stand out

What's the bike you are building??

I'm building a Responsorium. My only hesitation with Bora 50s would be that the deep profile would look odd a frame with tubing diameters that aren't very large.

mimason

by mimason

^ 50s are not too tall for any tubes and typically bike look better with deep wheels except in extreem situations...like 90s etc. Large tube frames otoh may look silly with shallow wheels.

The 2 set of tubs sounds optimal but if you are on a timed ride and need to be home at a certain time there is a lot to be said about clinchers and two spare tubes with 2 CO2.

Citizenfox

by Citizenfox

There's lot's of Mavic bashing here but my Kysiriums have been great.

steventran

by steventran

mimason wrote:^ 50s are not too tall for any tubes and typically bike look better with deep wheels except in extreem situations...like 90s etc. Large tube frames otoh may look silly with shallow wheels.

The 2 set of tubs sounds optimal but if you are on a timed ride and need to be home at a certain time there is a lot to be said about clinchers and two spare tubes with 2 CO2.

This is my concern with getting another pair of tubs. I live in San Francisco and the streets I need to ride to get out of the city are littered with debris. I read that sealant is hit or miss. I guess I could carry a spare tub.

Citizenfox wrote:There's lot's of Mavic bashing here but my Kysiriums have been great.

I've had Ksyriums and they were fine, but I'm not considering them for this build.

fogman

by fogman

I have the following:
1. Bora One 50 tubulars for racing.
2. Bora One 35 clinchers for training.
3. Shamal clinchers for when I anticipate long, steep descents with prolonged braking.
No need to change pads or brake spacing between the Boras. Need to change both the pads and brake spacing when changing to the Shamals.
My ideal Campagnolo clincher wheel would be a Bullet 35 Mille with 24.2mm brake track if they would ever make something like that.
It's all downhill from here, except for the uphills.

racersir

by racersir

Clinchers I would also go Shamal Mille.

ScuderiaDouroux

by ScuderiaDouroux

fogman wrote:My ideal Campagnolo clincher wheel would be a Bullet 35 Mille with 24.2mm brake track if they would ever make something like that.

I agree. Although I'd love to see a ~24mm wide 50mm deep Bullet Mille clincher. If that could be made under 1,550 grams, I think it would be the most versatile wheel out there (for looks, cost, and performance).

C'mon, Campy! Get with the program!
Long live the horizontal top tube, standard crankset, and Italian threaded bottom bracket.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

steventran

by steventran

Now that I've had more time to think about it, what would be ideal is if Campagnolo would widen the Hyperons and allow the purchase of mixed wheel sets. I'd buy a Hyperon front with a Bora 50 rear to go with my Bora 35s. Three effective wheel sets for the price of two.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk