Cannondale CAAD 12 has landed.

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

kgt

by kgt

I think it's a fair review. He just deconstructs the idea that CAAD can be as good as a good carbon frame. Seems logical to me.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

HillRPete

by HillRPete

kgt: but the point is not comparing it to the brands high-end frames. It would be much more balanced (or "fair") if the comparisons were made against similar priced competing models. Not that information where the CAAD ranges among all offerings is out of place, but the premium line as a primary point of reference is questionable. It's just not got the same target audience.

Fiery

by Fiery

TheKaiser wrote:
NealH wrote:A rather scathing review on Velonews.

http://velonews.competitor.com/2015/06/ ... ady_375596

Yeah, that was the first time I have seen a major media source be so hard on a new bike in a very long while! Especially since it wasn't like the bike broke or was measurably heavy, or something quantifiable. He just kind of said it felt like crap, and was worse than comparably priced carbon bikes. I found that pretty funny considering that he said, "it may be light, but if felt heavy", and then generalized about carbon bikes en masse, as if there couldn't be any of those that magically feel heavier than they are.

On the one hand, it is refreshing to see someone calling it like they see it, without concern for advertising dollars, but on the other hand, it seemed kind of amateurish to paint with such broad strokes without some measurable justification for his opinions.

I agree, it is refreshing to see an honest review, but I think the review is very wrong when comparing the feel of this bike to carbon bikes in general, as if there is such a qualitative leap between them. I've had a chance to test ride two top of the line 2015 carbon bikes a few months ago, and one of them felt noticeably heavier and perpetually undergeared, even though the actual weight difference was negligible. My 2006 aluminium bike feels a lot lighter than that carbon one, even though it is about a kilo heavier.

109er

by 109er

I don't really like it. Both looks and geo just don't do it for me. But that's me. And doesn't really matter.

Some of Velonews's reviews are lame though. Very very high marks for a product few if any really like and reviews like this one that really doesn't do the bike any justice. I don't think Cannondale will ever get rid of the CAAD line. It's what the company was founded on. The CAAD-10 did ride pretty well. I've ridden a lot of bikes, bikes even Velonews blew a load all over and the CAAD-10 stacked up. However I have ridden better aluminum frames. And the best bike, well my favorite bike, is still a Spooky Skeletor.
green jacket, gold jacket...who gives a sh*t

kulivontot

by kulivontot

Comparing disc brakes + caad12 to a rim braked carbon bike is not a fair comparison IMO. Of course it's going to feel heavier, you're stacking two weight disadvantages at once. Even if the frameset weighs the same, the components/ wheels will not between discs/rim brakes.
The reason I see people flocking to the CAAD series is so that wrecking in a crit doesn't cost $3000 to replace the frame. Although with these ultra thin alloy tubes, the durability vs carbon may not be as great as once thought. Hearing about $1300 allez sprint frame sets (I couldn't find the standalone frame price of caad12) doesn't really scream "disposable" either.

fromtrektocolnago

by fromtrektocolnago

Microsoft skipped Windows 9 and went right to 10. There's a marketing story in there some place. The Trek Madone went right from 7 to 9 I believe as well.
Colnago C-59 (Dura Ace)
Firefly(Ultegra)
Colnago C-64 disc(ultegra) with Bora 35 wheels

by 9734344

Maybe none of these companies can count?
I'm not a NUMBER.........I'm a Free Man

bigfatty

by bigfatty

i like the CadelEven reason best

anyone seen these as framest only, in euros???

Beancouter

by Beancouter

In the uk retailers are listing the disc frameset only at £699 - has an early 2016 shipping date. I have checked with the distributor and they do not plan to sell the non disc as frameset only.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Liggero

by Liggero

Well, here is my review; that classic geometry with tiny seatpost looks like crap, and for that price you can order 2 carbon frames from china, from the 20 open mold frames available, at half the price or less. This makes this caad12 a big piece of shit for me.
Happy Trails !!!

Guerdi

by Guerdi

Did you try it?

G19

by G19

I narrowed my new purchase to the CAAD 12 Ultegra or the Emonda ALR 6. Rode both and purchased the ALR.

Few reasons I bought the ALR over the CAAD.

1. Comfort. The ALR was noticeable a smoother ride. It even has 23mm tires vs the CAADs 25mm

2. Cable routing. I love the simplicity of external routing. Easy to work on.

3. The front shifting was more precise. Probably due to the Ultegra crank on the ALR and maybe the cable routings.

Very happy with my purchase!

Beancouter

by Beancouter

This may be old news, but just spotted that Bike24 are listing the non disc frameset only (delivery April). €1000 including the carbon save seatpost. Tempted but may hold on for the black version

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

phlip

by phlip

G19, thank you for your input. I am also looking at the CAAD12 and Emonda ALR, among others, for my new bicycle. Do you happen to know if they support 28 mm tyres?

G19

by G19

G19, thank you for your input. I am also looking at the CAAD12 and Emonda ALR, among others, for my new bicycle. Do you happen to know if they support 28 mm tyres?[/quote]

25mm easily and probably 28's. I have some picture of the ALR with 23mm but having trouble loading them?

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com