One-Off Bike for Paris Roubaix Challenge?

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

simon
Resident Pro

by simon

did you consider how any of the framesets fit you?
only 2 framesets in your list fit 27,2 mm seatposts(extra forgiving seatposts are a very good idea, saw that in cx as well): felt and scott. both have a pretty sloped toptube so the advantage might be even bigger. cannondale synapse has a 25 mm seatpost that adds a lot of compliance as well.
dugast or fmb rubber, but i had bad experiences with zipp hubs. bontrager uses dt internals, so go with them or lace some china rims to dt or chris king hubs.
use campi/fulcrum or dura ace quick release. no light tuning qr or the ones with plastic cam.
if you need more padding than 1 layer of bartape, i've found fizik or specialized gel pads for drops and tops better than double bartape since you have padding where you need it and can still get your fingers around the bars.

drchull

by drchull

I ran the He'd Belgiums with Pro4SC 25mm and it was fantastic. I switched rear wheels on one ride because of pawl engagement issues and felt like a took a horrible beating. Rode a pretty generic open mold carbon bike through 10 days of Flanders and Roubaix cobbles. Not a single flat, 80psi (haven't had a flat in 4 years since I started using these). I weigh about 200 lbs. Still use the wheels as my every day wheel, so comfortable for day to day and the chip seal. My frame barely fit the 28c gatorskins I tried but they were actually less comfortable.
I frankly wouldn't run tubs, i am not a pro and rarely have support following me so would have to just hope sealant and one spare is enough. For a big event like this I would not want to have to stop because of flats. I had to stop a climb of Haleakala because of multiple flats and it sucked, don't know if I will ever get a chance to try again.
Fit is more important than the frame once wheels and tires are dialled in, by the one you want the most, that fits the best and that you will enjoy riding the most after the event. Like they said above, ride the stones fast. My hands took 3 months to fully recover from Roubaix, got some sort of reactive arthritis in my finger joints. Was worth it though, even got to use the Roubaix velodrome showers.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

coloclimber

by coloclimber

Update:
Wheels: I picked up some barely if at all ridden Katusha built Ambrosio Nemesis rims laced with black Sapim spokes 3x to black Campagnolo Record hubs. They even have the green thread locker still and almost no wear on the rims. Definitely built for the spring classics by a pro-team mechanic. :thumbup:

Bar Tape: I also picked up some white Zevlin 2.5mm bar tape instead of double wrap. http://www.zevlin.com/Handlebar_Finishing_Tape_p/bevpu.htm

Bar padding: Bontrager isozone Gel- going to try it first- may be overkill thick. http://www.trekbikes.com/us/en_US/equipment/cycling-accessories/handlebar-tape/bontrager-isozone-handlebar-padding/p/05293

Still not set on a frame yet. Tires will have to wait depending on how wide I can fit into the frame. I am considering riding my old Colnago SLX Master since its burly and nostalgic.
-Deacon Doctor Colorado Slim

duvivr6

by duvivr6

Good deal, looks like your build should be coming around nice! Did you sign up since it opened up 1Dec?

I got peer pressured into riding PR Challenge again for 2016 so see you there, I'll be on my Ridley CX bike. :beerchug:

coloclimber

by coloclimber

duvivr6- Yes, I signed up yesterday for the middle distance 86 miles and all the cobbles. I can't do 101 miles in early April.
A CX bike looks like a solid choice. It hasn't been wet in years so its due for some mud = clearance. I am thinking a Ridley X Night would be great clearance with cantilevers and 30mm Challenge Strada Bianca tires.
Which Ridley are you bringing?
-Deacon Doctor Colorado Slim

sawyer

by sawyer

I've been tempted to do this for years and again thinking I might give it a go

Not sure re tubs or clinchers. Thought maybe Zondas with 28mm Ultremo ZX at 70-80psi
----------------------------------------
Stiff, Light, Aero - Pick Three!! :thumbup:

RDJEHV

by RDJEHV

I enrolled. Just bought a giant tcx cyclocrosser. Not with pr in mind but I am considering it instead of my Bianchi impulso with 28mm conti 4 seasons which I used during last year's RVV.

Frankie - B
Admin - In the industry

by Frankie - B

Damn, I need to enroll as well. this will be so much fun!
'Tape was made to wrap your GF's gifts, NOT hold a freakin tire on.'
If you want to see 'meh' content of me and my bike you can follow my life in pictures here!

F45

by F45

I would go with a Domane. 28-30mm tubulars.

LionelB

by LionelB

coloclimber wrote:duvivr6- Yes, I signed up yesterday for the middle distance 86 miles and all the cobbles. I can't do 101 miles in early April.
A CX bike looks like a solid choice. It hasn't been wet in years so its due for some mud = clearance. I am thinking a Ridley X Night would be great clearance with cantilevers and 30mm Challenge Strada Bianca tires.
Which Ridley are you bringing?

It was wet last year. Not quite muddy but wet. You should do 101 miles, it's better :D

duvivr6

by duvivr6

coloclimber: I have a Xbow that I use as my commuter, nothing fancy.

I rode PR in 2014 on my road bike and it kicked my ass, so I am certainly not trying that again.
Now Flanders is a different story ;)

Frankie - B
Admin - In the industry

by Frankie - B

Okay, I've put my name down and opened my wallet for the registration. I'll probably be riding the challenge on my Isaac boson road bike. That bike only allows for up to 25mm tires so i might as well be looking for a cheap alloy frame that will accept 28's.
Things to buy:
Selle italia flite
wide tires
39 inner ring for my compact crankset.
panache
'Tape was made to wrap your GF's gifts, NOT hold a freakin tire on.'
If you want to see 'meh' content of me and my bike you can follow my life in pictures here!

drchull

by drchull

duviver I felt the same. PR took my hands 3 months to recover from. Glad I did it, I even got to use the showers and got my picture in Pez. Wouldn't do it again though. Flanders though I would do every year if I could. Just the right amount of sadism, challenge and beer.

It is so cool though after all the suffering coming down the finish of Roubaix and turning right into the velodrome. Goosebumps.

Oh and 39, 42 whatever for the inner ring, there are no hills and you need pace on the cobbles. I would be doing hard 5-6 minute intervals to prepare because you want to hit it on the cobbles and carry all the pace your legs can take.

jockeywilson

by jockeywilson

Have done it on an old steel pinarello and a modern custom carbon legend. Both times with 27mm Vittoria Evo pave on ambrosio clinchers. The pina was preferable but only slightly. It's a great laugh. Fitness is more important than the bike! If you can power it through the entire sector it's a whole lot easier.

bm0p700f
in the industry

by bm0p700f

Use wide tyres. 30 mm challange strada bianca ' s at 60 psi with latex tubes make easy work of the cobbles. Easy is a relative term.

I'd do it again this year but I have a liege bastonge liege itch to scratch.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com