One-Off Bike for Paris Roubaix Challenge?

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

ultimobici
in the industry

by ultimobici

The bike was only finished just before this year's edition so that's fresh dirt on plain primer.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

LionelB

by LionelB

This year's bike

3 years ago bike

The bike I want for next time :D

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

bm0p700f
in the industry

by bm0p700f

I did the long route this. It is so flat I was in the 53T ring all the time with a 12-25T cassette.

I have a Genesis Equilirium Ti disc which was perfect. Bar tape is single wrap cinelli. Wheels are Velocity aileron 24F/24R on Novatec disc brake hubs with CX-ray spokes (I weigh 85kg kitted up). I used Challange strada Bianca 30mm tyres (31mm on these rims) and the ride was almost comfortable. I had 55psi front and 60 psi rear with latex tubes.

Speed on the cobbles helps but by the time I got to the carrefour all I could manage to 11 mph.

The challange tyres are awesome. Managed it in just over 6 hours and no punctures or cuts.

tyre width is key and are pressures used. While tubulars are lovely the only one I would use now for the PR is the Challange Strada 30mm tub if I had disc brake tubular rims.

The 27mm Pave tubs measure up at 25.5mm on my Pinarello which is simply not wide enough for a mortal like me for 33 miles of cobbles. Used Pave tubs on last years RVV and the ride was O.K but harsh in comparison to the wide Challange tyres. None of my rim brake road bikes have enough clearance for a 30mm tyre well one might but I don't use it much.

LionelB

by LionelB

FYI the 27 FMB are closer to 29mm than to 27.

F45

by F45

I used to ride the 30mm Strada Bianca since my roads are part gravel. These measured 33mm width on a 17mm inner width rim. I switched to 27mm Parigi Roubaix on the same rim which measure 32mm width. The Parigis give a better ride and they are a little lighter.

bm0p700f
in the industry

by bm0p700f

On a 20mm internal width rim my challanges measure 31mm so either the tyres vary alot or peoples measuring kit varies alot. I use a vernier so it should be spot on. The tyre may not be consitant or rim internal width is not the only factor that determines tyre width. Not sure how to explain the 2mm difference in width.

bm0p700f
in the industry

by bm0p700f

On a 20mm internal width rim my challanges measure 31mm so either the tyres vary alot or peoples measuring kit varies alot. I use a vernier so it should be spot on. The tyre may not be consitant or rim internal width is not the only factor that determines tyre width. Not sure how to explain the 2mm difference in width.

F45

by F45

That is odd. The open tubular design makes the tread stick out on the sides a bit. I'm using digital calipers but I'm not squeezing. I'm measuring to the outside of that little tread lip. That could explain why mine seem a little wider.

dmulligan

by dmulligan

My not so scientific experiments gave confirmed that tyre width and pressure makes a much bigger difference for comfort than all other variables.

Sent from my A0001 using Tapatalk

victorduraace

by victorduraace

^this !!!

LionelB

by LionelB

Yes clearly. For Roubaix you actually want a stiff bike. At 1m96 and 85kg I was running the FMB 27 at around 60 psi in the front and 70 in the back.

teleguy57

by teleguy57

bm0p700f wrote:The 27mm Pave tubs measure up at 25.5mm on my Pinarello which is simply not wide enough for a mortal like me for 33 miles of cobbles. Used Pave tubs on last years RVV and the ride was O.K but harsh in comparison to the wide Challange tyres. None of my rim brake road bikes have enough clearance for a 30mm tyre well one might but I don't use it much.

I have the same measurement on my 27mm Pave tubs, which I found disappointing. My Ultremo ZX 28mm clinchers measured out at 29mm and I was hoping for something more like that. Not sure how the new Veloflex Eroica 27 or the Schwalbe One 28 tubs will measure out. Anyone have those yet? May have to look at FMB (well, actually get some as I've looked at/thought about them for quite a while)...

justaute

by justaute

In regard to tire, I've been riding Hutchinson's Sector 28 mounted on a set of Stan's Grail & White Industries CLD hubs -- so far so good for ~1,100 miles.

Depending on your timing, Schwalbe is coming out with a new line of tubeless tires for gravel/cx/road/Roubaix, Pro One. The new line will replace the current One tubeless line.

http://roadbikeaction.com/features/rba- ... road-tires

http://pelotonmagazine.com/uncategorize ... -tubeless/

coloclimber

by coloclimber

Based on recommendations, I am now considering the following:
Carbon road frameset in order of preference:
Pinarello Dogma K or KOBH
Trek Domane
Giant Defy Advanced SL
Cannondale Synapse
Felt F1 PR
Scott Solace

Mid depth carbon tubular wheels:
Zipp 303 firecrest tubular
Aeolus D3 3 tubular

Tubular tires:
Challenge Strada Bianca 30mm
FMB Paris Roubaix 27mm

Seatpost:
Niner RDO / Storck seatpost
Specialized zertz
Canyon VCLS 2.0

Handlebars:
Bontrager Race X Lite Isozone VR-CF
-Deacon Doctor Colorado Slim

fa63

by fa63

No personal experience, but my riding buddies with Domanes all (three) love them. Of course they don't ride cobbles here in Atlanta (although some of our potholes come pretty close), but I imagine it would work very well on the cobbles with some good rubber.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com