One-Off Bike for Paris Roubaix Challenge?

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

RDJEHV

by RDJEHV

Look565w wrote:RDJEHV,

Vittoria Pave is pretty ubiquitous in the 2 times I did it (2014 & 2015) I rode tubs & manage to get hold of some 25mm FMB Roubaix ........ naturally :-)

Thanks! The pave only goes up to 27mm, wouldn't I be better off with something wider? My bike (giant tcx1 cyclocross) can accommodate much wider types.
Default types for the giant are kenda 32mm. Tread pattern looks to be kenda slant six, but nothing is written on the sidewall so not sure which tyre they are. I fear these are to knobby and therefor will have too high rolling resistance on the tarmac, and too slippery on the pave.
Also not sure which tyre pressure to run on them

coloclimber

by coloclimber

I've been training like mad on this thing since Jan 1.

I am bringing two sets of wheels: Ambrosio Nemesis laced to Record hubs and Challenge Strada Biancha 30mm tires and the Bora One 35s with Vittoria Pave 27s.

So far, I highly prefer the Bora's and have found quality control issues with the Challenge tires being out of round.

Can't wait to tear up the cobbles with our fearless Moderator boss man Frankie-B in 1 month!
Attachments
IMG_2331.JPG
-Deacon Doctor Colorado Slim

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

bearsdidit
Shop Owner

by bearsdidit

Great looking build!

Frankie - B
Admin - In the industry

by Frankie - B

my thoughts exactly. the troublesome thought is that he is going to use it to hurt me.
'Tape was made to wrap your GF's gifts, NOT hold a freakin tire on.'
If you want to see 'meh' content of me and my bike you can follow my life in pictures here!

LionelB

by LionelB

Nice build indeed. The boras with 27 are ideal for this!

jipperd

by jipperd

We might meet each other as I will be riding the Paris Roubaix Cyclo (220km) at the same day.

LionelB

by LionelB

jipperd wrote:We might meet each other as I will be riding the Paris Roubaix Cycle (220km) at the same day.

What is this Paris Roubaix Cycle ?

jipperd

by jipperd

I was referring to this: http://www.vc-roubaix-cyclo.fr/site/
It's being organised only once every two years. It's the full distance, all the pave sections, finish on the velodrome and as a reward you get a Cobblestone. And most importantly the organisatie is great with 'stops' and support every 50km and nog as busy / commercial as the Paris Roubaix Challenge.

dereksmalls

by dereksmalls

jipperd wrote:I was referring to this: http://www.vc-roubaix-cyclo.fr/site/
It's being organised only once every two years. It's the full distance, all the pave sections, finish on the velodrome and as a reward you get a Cobblestone. And most importantly the organisatie is great with 'stops' and support every 50km and nog as busy / commercial as the Paris Roubaix Challenge.

Interesting!

ColoClimber - the Ridley looks awesome, especially with the Boras!

RDJEHV

by RDJEHV

Condition where great. Decided to go for the 28mm continental 4 seasons (ride what you have). Would have chosen 32mm cross tyres if it was wet. Lots of people in full suspension mountainbikes which looked comfy on the rough pave, but slower on the tarmac.

karmaz

by karmaz

Conditions turned out great, but the start was very wet and slippery. Went down 200m into the first section and got a nice mud bath. Took a while before I got my confidence back!
Bike was a treat, Schwalbe One's 28mm at 4.5 bars swallowed the worst of it. All in all a great experience and one sportif I'm pretty sure I'll never do again!

Now to clean the bike... :roll:

MikeyBE

by MikeyBE

Any pictures? Sounds... 'Fun' I guess. Riding the ronde route in mid November kinda put me off cobbles. ;)

Sent from my 6039Y using Tapatalk

karmaz

by karmaz

MikeyBE wrote:Any pictures? Sounds... 'Fun' I guess. Riding the ronde route in mid November kinda put me off cobbles. ;)

Sent from my 6039Y using Tapatalk

Got some of it on my gopro, will have to go through and see if any of it is usable ;)
Oh and the ronde cobbles got NOTHING on the French pavé, jesus christ what a difference.

RDJEHV

by RDJEHV

made a video of the experience: https://vimeo.com/162199404
someone almost crashed out in front of me on the arenberg. luckily he stayed on the bike. i did grip the handlebars a bit more tightly after witnessing that.

Indeed the cobbles during the ronde are easy compared to those around roubaix.

Look565w

by Look565w

Great video RDJEHV :thumbup:

It certainly brings back fond/painful/exciting/love/hate/pure exhilarating/utter commitment memory indeed!
Thanks for sharing!

Cheers

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com