One-Off Bike for Paris Roubaix Challenge?

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

LionelB

by LionelB

Frankie - B wrote:What was your cadance for that ride, LionelB?

Not sure as I have no cadence sensor but I did not feel I was pushing too big a gear at all. The previous time I had 50/39 and 53 was better IMO. I am no Cancellara either :D

Subira

by Subira

I've had two attempts on different bikes, but same wheels and tyres - never had a problem, and I'm 85kg.

First time, road my Specialized Crux CX bike, put an extra layer of tape on and swapped to a normal compact chainset. I has a K-edge chain watcher on from cross riding. Wheel / Tyre combo was a pair of Hope Hubs with Mavic Open Pros, Challenge PR Tyre with Latex tubes.

Second time, I'd bought a Kinesis GF V2 Ti Frame, only parts to mention are that I fitted the K-Edge and used Rotor Q-Rings and P2M on Rotors (great power file for the day!). Same wheel and tyres, hadn't touched them from the previous time, even had the Roubaix dust on before I started.

I don't think you need a fancy set up, unless you want it. I went conservative on the wheels, they are solid 32/32 and are still true and round after many more miles. Pressure was around 80 psi, could have gone lower, but I wanted to finish and avoid punctures if I could.

Good cages are a must, as is a good seat pack. Forget the rules, if it's bouncing around on your back, it's going to get painful.

The big tip I can give is don't wear a metal watch, both times my watch rattled around so much it dug a hole in my wrist, 2nd time I had meant to take it off, but realised I still had it on as we rush to the Buses for the Transfer to the start.

It's a great occasion, soak up all the sites and sounds. Whatever you do don't ring the bell in the Velodrome Club house, you'll be buying beers for the whole bar!!!!

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Rex

by Rex

Subira wrote:I don't think you need a fancy set up, unless you want it. I went conservative on the wheels, they are solid 32/32 and are still true and round after many more miles. Pressure was around 80 psi, could have gone lower, but I wanted to finish and avoid punctures if I could.

Thanks for the tips!
I'm 85kg also and been thinking about pressures. I'm yet to experiment but going to start on 70psi
That should keep the tyres not so tall which will help as I'll have clearance issues.

BTW Latex tubes - worth it?

Subira

by Subira

I can't remember where I read about the latex tubes, but they are much more resilient to pinch punctures, which is also a problem on the pave. All part of my conservative / ride to the finish approach.

Took some hunting down to find some 28mm latex in the UK, I ended up with Vittoria.

I shouldn't have started to read this thread, found myself checking out logistics for another blast in '16 today

coloclimber

by coloclimber

Update again:

Frame: picked up a Ridley X Night with 27.2 Canyon VCLS seatpost
Components: Dura Ace 9000 mechanical shifters and derailleurs
Brakes: avid shorty ultimate run narrow
Bars: Bontrager IsoZone Carbon race X lite
-Deacon Doctor Colorado Slim

Frankie - B
Admin - In the industry

by Frankie - B

It seems like you are going for maximum comfort Colo!

The latex tubes are a good thought as well. I'll bring a couple of fresh ones.
'Tape was made to wrap your GF's gifts, NOT hold a freakin tire on.'
If you want to see 'meh' content of me and my bike you can follow my life in pictures here!

duvivr6

by duvivr6

Sounds very good ColoClimber, I'll look for you in France probably a few of the folks with smiles on their face :thumbup:

michel2

by michel2

i did the challenge last year on a eddy merckx corsa, mid 90 bike, i dodnt think i could have had a much better bike, it had an old but flawless working 8 speed campagnolo group open pro rims with 28 mm challenge tyres.frame had plenty of clearence no drammas anywhere.
if i was to nitpick and had endless of suply of dollars one could consider lower bb and slacker had angle, mind you the amount of people on aero bikes and high carbon wheels was quit stunning.

just go and enjoy !

Rex

by Rex

I'll be on an aero bike leaving the deep carbons at home.

coloclimber

by coloclimber

I decided on a 52x36 and 11-23 straight block.
Ordered a few Challenge Strada Biancha 30mm tubulars and some Elite Ciussi gel cages.
-Deacon Doctor Colorado Slim

kdawg

by kdawg

Rex wrote:I'm 85kg also and been thinking about pressures. I'm yet to experiment but going to start on 70psi
That should keep the tyres not so tall which will help as I'll have clearance issues.

It doesn't feel that lower pressure will help with clearance - sure the rim will be nearer the ground at the bottom - but the air will be distributed around the tyre so the gap at other areas will be basically the same as if you had 90psi. I can't think it would make even a measurable difference once your riding the bike - possibly on a stand but even that will be minimal.
I'm left handed, if that matters.

RDJEHV

by RDJEHV

I will ride it using my cyclocross bike. Which tyre can you guys recommend? Clincher and hopefully not too expensive.

karmaz

by karmaz

I've decided to do it on my Condor Fratello steel bike, most likely with a pair of 303's running 28mm Schwalbe One tubs.

One thing I can't seem to decide on is which seat post to use. I can use the cheapo Condor carbon seat post I currently have, steal the Fizik R1 that's currently on my racer (nicer, lighter, more carbon) or buy something more comfort-oriented like the Canyon VCLS.

Suggestions?

Look565w

by Look565w

RDJEHV,

Vittoria Pave is pretty ubiquitous in the 2 times I did it (2014 & 2015) I rode tubs & manage to get hold of some 25mm FMB Roubaix ........ naturally :-)

Karmaz,

I would suggest something a bit more robust i.e alloy or titanium, I saw a few folks with snapped seat post during the ride & at the finish. It would be a nightmare if that happens!
I think you'll get majority (if not all) of the shock damping via your tyre choice & tyre pressure :-0 The fact you're riding a steel bike is already a plus.

Enjoy the ride, chaps - you'll love it!
The Pave is just a completely unique riding experience, I'm contemplating on doing again this year :-) Trying for 3 in a row!

Just pray to god that it doesn't rain (it did last year) if it does, then the Arenberg will be interesting :-)

Cheers

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Rex

by Rex

I've been praying for several months now :)

Coming over from Australia. I have nothing to train on over here :)