2008 Campagnolo Eurus Wheels with Shimano 11spd Cassette?

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

jacksomd

by jacksomd

Hello,

I have a pair of Campagnolo Eurus wheels which I bought in 2008. They are fitted with a Shimano free hub which I use on a 10spd Ultegra equipped bike. I really love these wheels! :o)

I am considering a new bike purchase which will be fitted with an Ultegra 11spd groupset. The question I have is, will an Ultegra 11spd cassette work on the Shimano free hub I already have on these wheels? I assume it is a Shimano 10spd free hub. If not, can the free hub be replaced on these wheels to make them 11 spd compatible or are the wheels too old and out of date for that modification?

I've looked on the Campagnolo website and they have an FAQ but I can't find a specific answer to this question - there is one but the link seems to be broken! I would really like to keep these wheels so just want to understand what my options are.

Thanks in advance for your help.

Marcus

vejnemojnen

by vejnemojnen

my advice: look for the spare parts catalogues, and compare the specific name of the freehub bodies for 2008 model with current ones :roll: :thumbup:

Looked it up, but found no help in the spare parts.. :\ the axle is the same though, and the ratchets#bearings also seem the same, as well as the whole rear hub just looks identical.. no idea about the FH body length, though :noidea:

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

jacksomd

by jacksomd

Thanks. I tried that as well but didn;t find the info needed anyway? What I'm hoping is that one of the two possible option occurs:

1) the current 2008 free hub I have will take an 11spd cassette (perhaps unlikely) or
2) that I can replace the free hub body on the existing wheels with an 11spd compatible free hub body. I guess the issue with this option is whether or not the axel on the 2008 wheel and the dish on the wheel would allow me to do this if required.

Marcus

androidavies

by androidavies

Your 2008 Shimano freehub body is pre Shimano 11 speed, so won't accept an 11 speed Shimano cassette. Most likely one of the currently available 11 speed Fulcrum Shimano bodies will fit straight on to your hub. I think there are two different axle diameters. I've recently done this on the 17mm axle. The code on the box is RF1137139, it's described as HG 11/10/9 FW body OS.

Another, lighter option, would be to refit a Campag freehub body, which accepts 9, 10, or 11 Campag cassettes. You could then use a Campag 11 speed cassette, which works fine in an otherwise all Shimano transmission. I also have that set up running fine.

Hope this helps you....

graeme_f_k
Shop Owner / Manufacturer

by graeme_f_k

You need the new 11s Shimano cassette body FH-BUU015X1 - it fits directly in place of the old one.
A Tech-Reps work is never done ...
Head Tech, Campagnolo main UK ASC
Pls contact via velotechcycling"at"aim"dot"com, not PM, for a quicker answer. Thanks!

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

jacksomd

by jacksomd

androidavies & graeme_f_k, thanks for your help. That is exactly the information I was looking for! :o)