What's in your Tubular repair kit - compared to you Clincher

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

McGilli

by McGilli

Hi All.

On the new bike I'm building I will have tubulars.

I've been on clinchers forever - and I have my repair kit that goes with me everywhere.

I'm curious who has a clincher and tubular bike - and what differs in the repair kit for each bike. I just want to make sure I'm not missing anything.... Thx.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

goodboyr

by goodboyr

I've got zipp 404 tubbies and 303 clinchers.
Tubbies I carry 1 small squeeze bottle of stans, one co2 cartridge (16 gm), plus head, and a valve core removal tool. That's it.
Clinchers I carry I park tool tire lever, one spare tube in a zip lock sandwich bag with some baby powder sprinkled in, and the same co2 cartridge.
I use a lezyne trigger drive inflator head.

drchull

by drchull

Pretty much an old previously glued tubular a CO2 cartridge and inflator. used to cary the vittoria canned sealant/inflator stuff but never found it to work. Don't carry leavers for either clinchers or tubs, just brute strength baby.
Carry a multitool with spoke wrench.
With clinchers, 1 tube, small patch kit and a tire boot, 2 CO2 cartridges. Haven't had a flat on clinchers in 4 years.

tinozee

by tinozee

I carry nothing but a co2 cartridge and head. Just because last 8 tubs in a row rode all the tread off with zero flats. Most lasted ~2000miles. Plus I have AAA card and they now do pickups for cyclists and drive you back to car, gas station, whatever.

lannes

by lannes

Orange Seal Sealant in the tubular, credit card and mobile phone

KarlC

by KarlC

1 can vittoria pit stop.. thats all.... its worked very time for me, only 1 time it did not was a 3/4" hole
C64 My Sixty 4 SR EPS 12

sungod

by sungod

-rema tiptop patch kit
-crank bros speed lever
-park tool tyre boot
-inner tube

+lezyne composite lever (just one)
+tufo extreme
+tufo elite jet spare tub

in both...
multitool
valve core tool
disposable gloves
pump
kmc link

Timujin

by Timujin

drchull wrote:Pretty much an old previously glued tubular a CO2 cartridge and inflator. used to cary the vittoria canned sealant/inflator stuff but never found it to work. Don't carry leavers for either clinchers or tubs, just brute strength baby.
Carry a multitool with spoke wrench.
With clinchers, 1 tube, small patch kit and a tire boot, 2 CO2 cartridges. Haven't had a flat on clinchers in 4 years.

lol you have never owned a pair of Campag Nuetrons!! if you got them on with your brute strength i'm sure there would be a guiness book of record entry for sttrongest fingers/thumbs haha

dha

by dha

Tub rider here too. Some tufo sealant, valve remover tool and co2. Thats it.

fogman

by fogman

Vittoria Pit Stop, CO2 inflator, Cell Phone. Never had a flat to know if the Pit Stop works, as I am new to tubulars. I do have AAA but have to check to see if I have cyclist coverage.
It's all downhill from here, except for the uphills.

LionelB

by LionelB

spare used tubular
mini pump
spare valve core
valve core removal small plastic tool
plastic tire lever

PinaRene

by PinaRene

- 1 carbon lever
- 1 Velofelex extreme tubular on longer rides
- Tufo Extreme
- CO2 pump with 2 cartridges

Geoff

by Geoff

Yeah, unfortunately, the only thing that works 100% of the time is a spare tubular strapped underneath the saddle. I use an old tubular with a fresh layer of glue. Lately, though, I have gotten lazy. I haven't had a tubular flat in a really long time, so I have been carrying-around a can of Vittoria Pitstop for awhile (more than 6 or 8 years, anyway).

Ginsterdrz

by Ginsterdrz

Vittoria Pit Stop strapped to my seatpost!

Fairly new to tubs and mainly use them on closed circuits but have done some road miles too.

Went with Conti Competitions due to there reputation with punctures.

Ridden clinchers all my life. Liking tubs low weight and the 'kudos' ha ha.

by 11.4

I agree with Geoff. The safest and simplest is to carry a spare tubular. If you want to use sealant, you need a valve removal tool (carry a second if it's the little black one because those can round out quickly if you have a stubborn valve core. I found a spoke wrench that actually did very nicely at removing Presta valve cores, though if one were really stuck I'd be twisting the valve stem right out of the inner tube. And carry an extra valve core because if you blow it full of sealant, I can promise you a long walk home.

A little disposable one-use packet (or two) of citrus cleaner or nail polish remover is great to remove bits of glue that might get on the rim braking surfaces or on your fingers. There are times when a tiny pliers is a big help, like a Leatherman Micra. But then, what am I thinking? This is Weight Weenies.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com