Lightest bar tape or substitute you guys have found?

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

seaneT1

by seaneT1

@McGilli What is the name of your handlebars? looks very good!

dereksmalls

by dereksmalls

Lizard Skins 1.8mm Haven't needed to rewrap my bars for well over a year and hasn't come off yet or worn away from my bars where the cables are.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

prendrefeu

by prendrefeu

The prototype bar tape that I've been running for the past year is 27g per pair of full rolls (250cm).
On my 42cm handlebars with full/regular/traditional wrapping, minus the remainder, I'm running 24g for the pair. There is no adhesive/glue to muckup the bars either save for a small 1cm bit at the start.

I'm wondering if there's anything lighter, because after a year of testing this, I'm quite happy and wondering if it's worth putting to market.
Exp001 || Other projects in the works.

jpeterson1012

by jpeterson1012

How are yall getting close to 30g with deda traforato. When I was using that stuff I only needed 18g of it including finishing tape. As for what I use now, Tesa 51608 fleece tape is like oldschool cloth tape - provides no padding, just texture and sweat wicking. It comes in at 9g wrapped.

Maximilian

by Maximilian

prendrefeu wrote:The prototype bar tape that I've been running for the past year is 27g per pair of full rolls (250cm).
On my 42cm handlebars with full/regular/traditional wrapping, minus the remainder, I'm running 24g for the pair. There is no adhesive/glue to muckup the bars either save for a small 1cm bit at the start.

I'm wondering if there's anything lighter, because after a year of testing this, I'm quite happy and wondering if it's worth putting to market.
Hey Prend, nice to see you’re still around!

I really like the sound of the proto tape. I’ve never quite understood why the whole length is adhesive backed because is is only required at the start. 24g for 42cm is very good, have you got weights for 38cm/40cm?

The Tesa fabric tapes are also pretty light (can’t remember the g off the top of my head @themidge did some recently). I don’t like the Tesa stuff though as it pills badly after a while and is a bit abrasive when riding gloveless. Generally the trend seems to be towards rubber tapes, which are very heavy. I’ve been sticking with basic Cinelli cork recently as I like the balance of weight, feel and comfort.

Would be interesting to see some photos of your prototype tape if you can share.

Sent from my iPad Pro using Tapatalk

themidge

by themidge

Maximilian wrote:
Sat Apr 17, 2021 9:17 am
The Tesa fabric tapes are also pretty light (can’t remember the g off the top of my head @themidge did some recently). I don’t like the Tesa stuff though as it pills badly after a while and is a bit abrasive when riding gloveless.
I think the last time I actually weighed my Tesa tape it was something in the region of 12-15g (fully wrapped on 40cm bars, wasn't paying too much attention to overlap). If by 'pills' you mean it goes bobbly then yes, that does happen which leaves the tape looking well used pretty quickly, I don't mind it though. To be honest I don't find it particularly abrasive without gloves, certainly no more so than the rubber hoods.

Kayrehn

by Kayrehn

Gaffer tape on my 38cm bars weigh 23g. I would have left the bottom half unwrapped but the Darimo bars have an ugly certification label on the drive side, and I have to wrap the top to keep the cables together. Image

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

Mcdeez

by Mcdeez

Det, the whole wrap was about 40 grams with everything ,i didnt used the whole tape

StanK

by StanK

glepore wrote:
Sun Jun 28, 2015 6:04 pm
Bike Ribbon Eolo. Under 40g. Nice feel, applies well, durable and cheap.
Bike Ribbon, but Spugna. I don't like look of perforated bar tape. :)
32 grams for whole 42cm handlebar and you got pretty good cushion.
Truth be told, my hands are there very rarely (mostly on hoods), but when they are, I like to feel something a little soft beneath them, not like I’m holding on to a wooden stick.

Maximilian

by Maximilian

themidge wrote:
Maximilian wrote:
The Tesa fabric tapes are also pretty light (can’t remember the g off the top of my head @themidge did some recently). I don’t like the Tesa stuff though as it pills badly after a while and is a bit abrasive when riding gloveless.
I think the last time I actually weighed my Tesa tape it was something in the region of 12-15g (fully wrapped on 40cm bars, wasn't paying too much attention to overlap). If by 'pills' you mean it goes bobbly then yes, that does happen which leaves the tape looking well used pretty quickly, I don't mind it though. To be honest I don't find it particularly abrasive without gloves, certainly no more so than the rubber hoods.
I must have soft hands Image!

Sent from my iPad Pro using Tapatalk

prendrefeu

by prendrefeu

Maximilian wrote:
Hey Prend, nice to see you’re still around!

I really like the sound of the proto tape. I’ve never quite understood why the whole length is adhesive backed because is is only required at the start. 24g for 42cm is very good, have you got weights for 38cm/40cm?

The Tesa fabric tapes are also pretty light (can’t remember the g off the top of my head @themidge did some recently). I don’t like the Tesa stuff though as it pills badly after a while and is a bit abrasive when riding gloveless. Generally the trend seems to be towards rubber tapes, which are very heavy. I’ve been sticking with basic Cinelli cork recently as I like the balance of weight, feel and comfort.

Would be interesting to see some photos of your prototype tape if you can share.
Still around, just spending time riding, tinkering, and working on life things. :)

I tried the 'gaffer tape' method, along with hockey grip tape - I did not like either. Both left residue on the bar, one was too grippy/chaffing on the gloves or bare hands, the other not great under variable conditions.

I wanted to develop a tape that can go full-bar length, is tactile to touch (tacky or dry-touch) and works both for those who want to ride without gloves/padding (such as myself) and those who do like to wear gloves. When I wore gloves (with palm padding) I felt that regular bar tape was too much padding, and even the Lizard Skins varieties weren't satisfactory.

This stuff is made from polyurethane, which compared to other plastics is more recyclable & eco friendly.

Here's a picture of it:

Also pictured is the end-cap that I developed (but wow molding for such a small part is expensive), 2.3g/pair.

Working on it. I'm not sure if the market is really there for either one - our desires are very niche. ;)
Exp001 || Other projects in the works.