Small request for owners of Cannondale EVO/CAAD10 and SISL2

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

laleme

by laleme

What is the distance between the left crank arm and the seat tube? The right crank arm and the seat tube?

Most importantly - are they the same?

I have a CAAD10 with a SISL2 crankset installed per Cannondale's instructions. The problem is that the right crank arm is 5mm further from the seat tube than the left crank arm. As a result, I'm sitting 5mm to the right, causing some issues with my sit bones and perineum.

What's up with that?

I've played around with the spacers, but I cannot achieve a good chain line when the crank arms are equidistant from the seat tube.

Can anyone shed some light on this issue?

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

upside

by upside

Possibly you may have the wrong spindle. The older Hollowgram used a 104 and the new uses a 109. I am sure someone here will give you some help.

laleme

by laleme

That could be it. I'll pull my crank tomorrow to measure the spindle.

upside

by upside

The new Hollowgram with spidering takes the new 109.. the older uses the 104 and the 2014-15 Synapse I think is also different. I have been out of the Cannondale ends of things for a couple of seasons though.

TheKaiser

by TheKaiser

laleme wrote:The problem is that the right crank arm is 5mm further from the seat tube than the left crank arm. As a result, I'm sitting 5mm to the right, causing some issues with my sit bones and perineum.

What's up with that?

It is certainly worth investigating this crank issue but, just as an FYI, a lot of people sit asymmetrically, even with their cranks positioned symmetrically, and it seems that the majority who do sit asymmetrically seem to favor the right side. There are a ton of possible causes ranging from the seat being too high, to leg length discrepancy, to muscle imbalance, to natural right side dominance.

I just wanted to make sure you knew that so that you don't assume that balancing the crank position will automatically fix the other problems. Give yourself a couple of weeks with the crank in the new position so that you can re-learn the motor patterns, and then reassess to see if the problem still exists.

laleme

by laleme

You bring up some good points. While fixing this apparent problem would be picking the low-hanging fruit, there may be more to pick!

@upside

I wish you were right, as it would've been an easy fix. Unfortunately, the solution to the problem is not that simple.

I measured the spindle today, and it is the correct 109mm spindle. I'm not sure where to turn now. I don't think a 114mm spindle exists, although it would resolve the issue if it did.

Anyone else have any input?

Svetty

by Svetty

There are threads related to the SS EVO chainline if you search. As the 109mm spindle has no shoulder you can use spacers either side as desired to place the cranks in space relative to the midline. A small difference between L&R is within most people's tolerance - very few people are exactly symmetrical............Just make sure you sit square on the saddle - at most you might need to shim your cleat to correct for the small difference in effective leg length ....
Last edited by Svetty on Sat Jun 27, 2015 11:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.

H0RSE

by H0RSE

laleme wrote:
I've played around with the spacers, but I cannot achieve a good chain line when the crank arms are equidistant from the seat tube.

What do you mean by this statement?

The spacers are precisely there to offset the distance measure of the NDS arm.

There are some gears you aren't strictly meant to be using, namely the extreme crossings.

laleme

by laleme

I could get the crank arms positioned at an equal distance from the seat tube using a certain spacer configuration. However, when I did, I could not use the small chainring and big cog combination because the front derailleur limit was already set all the way in and could not go any further, causing chain rub on the FD cage. I'm using a Campagnolo Super Record 11 front derailleur for what it's worth. Perhaps this isn't an issue with other front derailleurs.

upside

by upside

The 109 was designed for the new Spidering Hollowgram.. is that what you have? If not, just get a 104spindle and sell the 109.. Cannondale Experts are very helpful and you could call or email them.

laleme

by laleme

Yep. I have the standard Spidering Hollowgram SiSL2 crankset.

Svetty

by Svetty

upside wrote:The 109 was designed for the new Spidering Hollowgram.. is that what you have? If not, just get a 104 spindle and sell the 109.. Cannondale Experts are very helpful and you could call or email them.

The rings fit to the same cranks as ordinary rings - it is the cranks that are the issue, not the spidering. Both the newer and older Hollowgram SISL cranks will fit and work with either spindle. The 'issue' is that the 104 spindle gives a narrow Q-factor and results in a chainline which is below the Shimano spec of 43.5mm. The 109 spindle 'corrects' this (and moves the preload adjustment to the NDS).

My advice to the OP is to use as many spacers on the DS as needed to ensure correct shifting but no more. Then leave it alone and ride it. Don't worry about crank asymmetry of a few mm wrt the centre-line - any issue here is to the psyche rather than the body - cleat adjustment and possibly shimming will take care of any imbalance issues.

If you think about it, the one dimension that doesn't vary with frame size is Q-factor yet the width of different people's pelvises varies a great deal. If there really was a major issue, larger frame sizes would not only be paired with longer cranks as now, but longer cranks would have a greater bend in them to widen the Q-factor for the larger riders. Alternatively cranks would come in multiple widths as well as lengths. In fact none of this happens. Actually, I wonder if there is a market.......... :D

eliflap-scalpel

by eliflap-scalpel

left arm of SISL2 is with a different angle
Attachments
BB30A.jpg
http://eliflap.it/

Svetty

by Svetty

eliflap-scalpel wrote:left arm of SISL2 is with a different angle

Thread is about Evo/CAAD 10 with PF30 not Synapse with BB30A......

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Sacke

by Sacke

eliflap-scalpel wrote:left arm of SISL2 is with a different angle

Is the BB30A vs BB30 written on the crank anywhere?

I am having doubts after having stripped a 2016 Supersix Evo 105 of its components, and rebuilt it with Dura-Ace + SISL2.

However, I didn't put the Spidering, but a hollowgram 130mm 5 arm spider with 53/39 chainrings.

If I understood correctly from the previous comments, the 109mm axle is meant for the Spidering.

The SiSL2 that I have originally had the 104mm spindle with the shoulder, so I took the spindle from the new heavy Si crank. Looks like it would be the correct 109mm one. Didn't measure to check.

The tech book recommends: Drive side has the 7,5mm drive side spacer, and the non drive side has the 2,5mm spacer with 1-3 plastic spacers and the wavy spring washer.

After having assembled everything according to the tech book instructions, about 4-5mm of space was still left.

The local bike shop mechanic added more plastic spacers and tightened the shit out of the cranks. You can still discern the spindle on the non drive side. I'll take a photo today... No noise on the first couple of rides, but I feel like the right hand side is further in that it is supposed to be.

Any tips on what I should do to install correctly? Add spacers to the drive side?