Colnago C60 or Cannondale Supersix Hi-Mod

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

nibby

by nibby

I'm thinking of a new bike and narrowed it down the following two bikes

C60 with Bora Ultra's Tubs
Supersix Hi-Mod - new model when they release it, with same wheels

not sure on finishing kit yet

Going to use it mostly for fast/hard club rides and a few events, not racing as I would be gutted if I crashed it so have Alu for that.

I'm more of a climber, 142 lbs currently so would like it to go uphill well but also a good all rounder.

Problem is being able to get a test ride on both. I've tried the supersix which was great but how would the C60 compare? Anyone ridden both with feedback welcome.

Ideally would like to be able to get total build to around 6.7 kg

thanks for any input.
Cheers

mrgray

by mrgray

Hi Nibby
not interested in the AX Lightness Evo (or D variant for that matter). Reviews (both on WW and in press) very good. Very light. Very comfortable.
Bobo S&S Steel Bike - 7.5 kg
Oltre XR2- 6.6 kg
Look 585 - 6.8 kg
Look 695 SR :D

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Lafolie

by Lafolie

well...having been a big C owner for years...I recently broke the relationship. I wanted something a little different. Sadly, I'm seeing so many C60's on the road now. Also, the tubes and lugs are not a elegant as the C59 which I had a great deal of fun on. I would go down the route of riding something a little different from the crowd..if you get my meaning. Good luck

fromtrektocolnago

by fromtrektocolnago

I'd do the C60 in a heart beat over the Cannondale. I'm a very satisfied owner of a C59. I sort of agree with the comment about the tubes, but they are growing on me. Anyone I've asked about the ride of the C60 says it's very similar to the C59. I prefer an English threaded bottom bracket and the approach on the C60 provides the benefits of it, even if it's not exactly the old standard. Also Colnago is built like a custom frame while Cannondale is another outsourced monocoque frame.

If I were looking for something different I would go Custom Titanium and evaluate Seven,Firefly and Bedford.
Colnago C-59 (Dura Ace)
Firefly(Ultegra)
Colnago C-64 disc(ultegra) with Bora 35 wheels

nibby

by nibby

Thanks for replies.

Head says Cannondale, heart is saying Colnago, from history to the c60 still being made in Italy.

I'm guessing but I would probably say the Cannondale might be better re performance but only based on not having had a test on the C60

mrgray, no haven't looked at the AX but will do some research, thanks for suggestion.

lots more research to be done :)

cheers

ronderman

by ronderman

I almost can't believe this is a question - but here goes, as I have had both.

Neither bike is gonna be faster - so let's get that out of the way - you already have good wheels, so neither bike is gonna ride that much different or better.

With the above 2 points understood it's no comparison at all - C60 every time and every way. The super six is decent, it works, it rides, I go fast - I like it.

I had a C59 and it's an all together different bike. Rides great - is way more solid - not heavy, just solid. The paint and design is another league. Those that cry lugs - WHATEVER.

Let me tell it you like this - most people say "never should have sold my colnago" going back decades. Hardly anyone says that about a cannondale.

fromtrektocolnago

by fromtrektocolnago

plus 1.
But nobody should ever have to point out bikes aren't fast, riders are.
Colnago C-59 (Dura Ace)
Firefly(Ultegra)

nibby

by nibby

Cant remember me saying "which bike was faster?" I said I was going to use it for fast/hard club riding and wanted the emphasis to be more on climbing.

will the c60 be as good a climber as the 6hm all things being equal?

Calnago
In Memoriam

by Calnago

A lighter bike, all else being equal, will generally be the better "climber". But unless you have someone picking you up at the top and driving you down, you want a bike that isn't squirrelly underneath you at speed on a tricky descent. This is where I'd pick the Colnago over a super light offering any day of the week, but I'm also a heavier rider so I value a solid, perhaps slightly "overbuilt" frame more than say a super light rider might. It only stands to reason a lighter rider can often get away with riding a lighter frame. If I ride a light frame, or even worse, super flimsy wheels (regardless of their weight), it does not make for a very fun ride.
Colnago C64 - The Naked Build; Colnago C60 - PR99; Trek Koppenberg - Where Emonda and Domane Meet;
Unlinked Builds (searchable): Colnago C59 - 5 Years Later; Trek Emonda SL Campagnolo SR; Special Colnago EPQ

fromtrektocolnago

by fromtrektocolnago

Everyone talks weight with regards to climbing, but the few ounces which separate most frames these days won't matter as much as buying the bike with the geometry that puts you in the best climbing position so that you, the cyclist can put out the most power and last if the hill is long.
Colnago C-59 (Dura Ace)
Firefly(Ultegra)

nibby

by nibby

That's true and I suspect the decision will go down to what geometry is best for me.

Now that being said I can test a supersix no problem but does anyone know where I can test a C60 somewhere in the UK?

cheers

ronderman

by ronderman

nibby wrote:Cant remember me saying "which bike was faster?" I said I was going to use it for fast/hard club riding and wanted the emphasis to be more on climbing.

will the c60 be as good a climber as the 6hm all things being equal?

See, you just asked "which bike is faster" - as good as a climber means as fast, as comfortable - the answer is there is such a marginal difference it's basically so inconsequential there is no reason to even try to document the difference.

You buy a Colnago over a Cdale Super Six because it's a more solid frame and will last longer and hold a higher resale value, you also do it because, frankly, they just look better - Colnago puts way, way more thought into the look of a bike and the aesthetics than Cannondale does. No question there.

Go to a store, check on out - get a fit done and make sure it works. The feel of the bike - that has way, way more to do with wheels and tires. Neither frame is gonna be better or worse or faster or slower.

nibby

by nibby

@Ronderman

you are spot on fella. I suppose a bit of me is looking to "eek out" every last bit of performance for those faster days both in the group and up the hills but then I'm experienced enough now to know that the feel and fit of a bike is way more important than what it say's on paper. And I can always play around with the overall weight if needed.

It's been a great help to hear from you, especially as you have both.

The one big problem in the UK for some reason is getting a decent test of anything and there is no way I'm going to buy purely on magazine/spec/forum etc reviews. If I'm buying something like this from moto to non moto I always need to get a proper test as you just need to feel how the bike feels and responds to be able to make a call.

And hopefully with a bit of luck I think I've managed to sort out a proper test on the C60 in a couple of weeks. Having already tested the supersix himod (albeit not the new model) I will be able to make the call based on what I think.

Also this will be my first carbon road bike having ridden Alu/Steel in the past. My current is the Canyon Ultimate Al which I will continue to use for racing etc but the new bike will be my posing/fast bike that will take pride of place hanging in my "man cave" !!

And as long as I'm already hooked on the look of the C60 then as long as it rides and feels as well as it looks there is only one winner :)

By the way...what is a realistic total bike weight for a C60 without blowing the savings on the basis I will already have the bora ultra tubs ready to go on.

All the best

fromtrektocolnago

by fromtrektocolnago

I tried getting a test ride on the C-59 to no avail. I've since learned that on high end bikes test rides can be hard to come by. While this is the best way to buy, I wound up purchasing on faith. The Colnago seems to climb better than my older bike, however the wheel choice and component selection on the two are quite different.
Colnago C-59 (Dura Ace)
Firefly(Ultegra)

ronderman

by ronderman

I think getting a true test ride on a Colnago is gonna be hard - I had the same issue here in the states. A shop might have one, maybe, you can try and then you got the whole "is it the right size" - thing. First, go and look at one in person. A Colnago is one of the few bikes online pictures simply don't do it justice - so much better in person. Time frames are kinda the same. It just looks better.

Colnago owners are a tight group. If you find someone in your size you can probably try theirs. That's what I did. We swapped bike and he had an EP even though I was looking at a C59 - tried it out, it worked, I purchased a C59.

My only regret was selling the thing :thumbup:

I got a merckx san remo - like most other monocoque frames it works. however, when I got over really crappy roads, I still go the same speed, but the lugged C59 was just so much more solid feeling. You'll know when you try it.

Go check out a C60 in person.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com