Colnago C60 or Cannondale Supersix Hi-Mod

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

wingguy

by wingguy

Calnago wrote:A lighter bike, all else being equal, will generally be the better "climber". But unless you have someone picking you up at the top and driving you down, you want a bike that isn't squirrelly underneath you at speed on a tricky descent. This is where I'd pick the Colnago over a super light offering any day of the week

Yeah... but the Evo is already a wicked good descender, and the Evo 2 (Evo-Evo?) claims significantly improved HT stiffness and more compliance on top of that.

I can't speak for heavier riders (I'm 165lb at my fattest) but the Evo is easily more stable and planted through warp speed corners than my last Italian bike.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Calnago
In Memoriam

by Calnago

I can speak for me at least, as a heavier rider at 200lbs, a little extra solidness goes a long way towards confident descending. I have a friend who races and is a very very good descender. He bought some very light wheels from me as they were too light and very sketchy for me to ride. Loves them. He rides an Evo. I work on it. He's on a smallish frame and weighs in the mid 150lbs. Big difference in what works for a light rider like him and a heavier rider like myself. It's got nothing to do with whether one's Italian or Chinese or American made, or from anywhere else for that matter. Just common sense that a heavier rider may require more in a frame than a lighter rider might. Sometimes I think that's overlooked, especially by larger riders wanting to use the lightest stuff out there.
Colnago C64 - The Naked Build; Colnago C60 - PR99; Trek Koppenberg - Where Emonda and Domane Meet;
Unlinked Builds (searchable): Colnago C59 - 5 Years Later; Trek Emonda SL Campagnolo SR; Special Colnago EPQ

nibby

by nibby

I'm waiting to hear from a local (ish) shop about testing a bike that the UK importers are sending them. I'm hopeful.......

I'm a 52 in the Cannondale and the importers say I should be around a 48 in the C60 but they only have a 50 to try. That will do as I can still get a feel for how it rides hopefully from that.

It will be a good test as I can do the same route as I tried the supersix out around 4 weeks ago so will ride the same roads and hopefully make a decision from that. I'll chase that up tomorrow. Then I suppose it's choosing the right colour, checking out the pics on the forum I'm liking mrgrays white Italian but the black looks good as well!!! aarrrrgghhh!! :)

wingguy

by wingguy

Calnago wrote:Just common sense that a heavier rider may require more in a frame than a lighter rider might.

It's only common sense if you make two assumptions. 1) The extra weight really does bring more stiffness in the relevant areas rather than being a result of less exacting design or less efficient construction and 2) any extra stiffness outweighs geometry changes that make for example, a light but slack bike more stable than a heavy but steep bike under the lighter rider.

Calnago
In Memoriam

by Calnago

True, let's assume identical geometries. And as far as "stiffness" goes, that's a very overused term. A material can be very stiff yet snap like a twig or have a "brittle" almost glass like quality. Or a material can have a very high stiffness/weight ratio versus another material. Assuming all methods and materials used being equal, the more weight or force a structure has to cope with, the more material that will be needed to support it.
Colnago C64 - The Naked Build; Colnago C60 - PR99; Trek Koppenberg - Where Emonda and Domane Meet;
Unlinked Builds (searchable): Colnago C59 - 5 Years Later; Trek Emonda SL Campagnolo SR; Special Colnago EPQ

wingguy

by wingguy

let's assume identical geometries.... Assuming all methods and materials used being equal

Why would you assume that? I thought we were talking about real bikes :noidea:

Geometries aren't identical, materials and methods aren't identical, and no modern bike is going to snap like a twig just because you're riding down an incline.

Calnago
In Memoriam

by Calnago

Ok, I'll let you go first on a 10lb bike down that technical descent at 40+mph. :). There are limits to everything, just sayin.

wingguy

by wingguy

Well I do that (and more) right now on my 13lb bike, and to make it a 10lb bike it wouldn't be the frame that changed.

Calnago
In Memoriam

by Calnago

As you mentioned before, you are 165lbs and can't speak for heavier riders. You are fortunate that you can likely ride most any frame/equipment out there with few if any issues. Try strapping a 50lb sack of sand to your torso on your next big descent and see how things feel going into that first gnarly turn. Then, not that you could fit one, do the same with a much larger frame, and higher center of gravity. Then, try to stop that weight at speed as quick as possible. I suspect the experience will be very very different than you are used to.

wingguy

by wingguy

Sure. But like I said before that doesn't mean that you can tell which of two completely different frame designs will be better at descending under a heavier rider just by looking at frame weight.

Calnago
In Memoriam

by Calnago

Agreed. There's lots of factors that go into it.

nibby

by nibby

Managed to get a decent test ride on this beauty today.........

Very very impressed. Geo just felt right, supersix I tested a month ago and from memory it seemed to feel just a little bit stiffer. BUT on a couple of the same climbs and putting in a similar sort of effort, the C60 was faster by around 10 seconds!! difficult to judge or get hung up about this sort of stuff I know but I would have said before I saw the time's that the cannondale was the quicker up hills.

Geo and handling wise for me only one winner, C60. It fitted me better than the Cannondale and just felt better. Oh and I now understand those comments about going down......it just handles so bloody well!!

Now my toughest decision will be what is the fastest colour :)

Sacke

by Sacke

nibby wrote:Now my toughest decision will be what is the fastest colour :)

What size do you need? That looks like a 50s...

If it's 52s,

Blatant advert:

In case it is, check this one out. http://www.cyclespassieu.com/detail_pro ... tml/id/403

Decked out with Campa Record EPS, Clavicula, Zipp 303:s and barely used.

If it's a 52s, they have a frame that was built, but never used. http://www.cyclespassieu.com/detail_pro ... tml/id/395

Disclaimer: I work freelance at the shop with their online stuff. It's one of the biggest independent stores in terms of sold Colnagos per year, and this one would get all the guarantees. If the color is to your taste...

nibby

by nibby

I will need a 48 but tried the 50 to get an idea and the 48 will be spot on.
Thanks for the info though.
Also probably going to go black or white. I love the pink but not fast enough for that yet [SMILING FACE WITH SMILING EYES]

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk

Sacke

by Sacke

nibby wrote:I will need a 48 but tried the 50 to get an idea and the 48 will be spot on.
Thanks for the info though.
Also probably going to go black or white. I love the pink but not fast enough for that yet [SMILING FACE WITH SMILING EYES]

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk

Sounds good! In any case, you will not regret it! An astonishing bike...

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com