light bb86 crankset verdict ?

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

felipedana

by felipedana

Hi all,

So, I'm looking for a light crankset compatible with bb86.5 (for a look 675), and after spending a couple of hours searching I still couldn't find an answer to the BB86 problem... lightning or clavicula seems to be answer with their compatible bb86 cups, but MANY report that it's too small to be reliable ..

Any Clavicula or Lightning owners using bb86? is there any other lightweight option?

hopefully I'm missing something... opinions are welcome..

felipedana

by felipedana

note: I'm probably going dura ace di2 for this but I wanted something else for the crank, unless it's really my best option

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Delorre

by Delorre

I'm in the same boat, and I'm going to sand down my '14 Campy ultra torque TI compact crankset (575gr with TA rings, incl bearings) and give it a new layer of clear coat. Check my opcoming Scott addict team issue build topic ;-) Will be build with Di2 as well.

prebsy

by prebsy

I've been really impressed with the sanded Red Exograms + aftermarket rings I've seen people do.
Here is one from @juggler

Delorre

by Delorre

prebsy wrote:I've been really impressed with the sanded Red Exograms + aftermarket rings I've seen people do.

Totally agree, but that's a BB30 one for sure. The regular GPX for BB86 is a lot heavier than that :cry: So, no option fur us... My UT weights only slightly more with bearings incl and the cups are only 30gr...

felipedana

by felipedana

anyone is using the Lightning crack w/ bb86 ?? I would really like to hear some feedback

hornedfrog

by hornedfrog

Delorre wrote:
prebsy wrote:I've been really impressed with the sanded Red Exograms + aftermarket rings I've seen people do.

Totally agree, but that's a BB30 one for sure. The regular GPX for BB86 is a lot heavier than that :cry: So, no option fur us... My UT weights only slightly more with bearings incl and the cups are only 30gr...

No, that is the "GXP" version. Notice the spindle is attached to the drive side. BB30 has the spindle attached to the non drive side crank arm.

Tomstr

by Tomstr

Handsome cranks!

Interesting topic too, I'm also looking for a set of light and affordable cranks. A set of Sram GXP looks interesting!
Ride it like you stole it

KarlC

by KarlC

prebsy wrote:I've been really impressed with the sanded Sram GXP Red Exograms + aftermarket rings I've seen people do.

Looks great whats a set up like this cost ?

I have a BB86 also on my BMC TMR01, I wonder how much weight I would lose compared to a Ultegra 6700 ?

Can I reuse my bottom bracket with the Sram GXP crank ?

The matt sanded finish would match my frame well also.
Last edited by KarlC on Sat Jun 27, 2015 2:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.
C64 My Sixty 4 SR EPS 12

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Kayrehn

by Kayrehn

My sanded then clear coated sram red gxp cranks 175cm weighed in at 480gms without rings.

Sent from my SM-G900F using Tapatalk