Shipping a bike back to US

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

Johnnysmooth

by Johnnysmooth

Heading back home to Boston after a year in Austria. Came with one bike, leaving with two. One bike I'll bring with me on plane.
Still have to get that second bike back so wondering what folks have found as the most economical way to ship a bike from Europe, better yet Austria, to the US.

Thanks in advance for your wisdom and advice.
It only hurts if you think.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

eric01

by eric01

I've shipped some bikes between US and Hong Kong. Not exactly Austria... Anyhow I used a cardboard box from local bike shop + pipe insulation, bubble wrap, etc... Postage if I recall correctly was around 80-90 USD. Both directions I used US Postal or HK Post.

I've also traveled with bike. One time I was charged extra 100 USD! Other times, no additional charge. I use a Pika Packworks soft case which measures smaller than hardshells. I think that factors into whether or not I get hit with extra charges.
Specialized Tarmac Sworks SL6, Moots Compact, Carl Strong Titanium

albertop07

by albertop07

Take the bike with you. Extra luggage will cost you USD 100. Shipping the bike will cost you more and you may still have to deal with US customs.

elSid

by elSid

Do you mean $100.00 for each additional bike shipped? Last summer, flying with my bike to Europe from the USA was $200.00 each way on United, Delta, and American Airlines. At that time, other airlines were far more expensive.

I also investigated shipping the bike, but every option I could find would still be a lot more expensive than checking the bike.

ghostinthemachine

by ghostinthemachine

Speaking from experience, I'd be checking with the airline first. Excess baggage or sporting equipment fees *Might* be lower than the shipping cost. Speak to a person though, they can add details like "two bike cases, paid" to booking details. Should minimise fuss at check in.

Depending on what contacts you made it during your year, it may also be an idea to speak to any local businesses, they may be able to get far better rates. (This saved me about €65 per bike, per journey when I had to ship a number across Europe, checking that many bikes onto a flight gets really expensive!)

Johnnysmooth

by Johnnysmooth

Thx for replies folks.

I already have one bike I'm bringing back via a Pika bag - great bag BTW. We are also bringing a lot of other stuff back home after our yr long stay here which brings up the main problem:

Airlines (KLM) charges ~70euros for your second ck'd bag on flight, first one being free. But if you add another bag to that, fee jumps to 180euros for that one, and it just continues to escalate from there. Thus the desire to seek alternatives.
I am friendly with one bike shop here in Vienna, will ck-in with them.
It only hurts if you think.

zev

by zev

Check out bikeflights.com

The rates vary from time to time depending on the day you shipped but it was cheaper than flying back from Kona with mine.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

jimaizumi

by jimaizumi

Have done the Jpn-Oahu route and was 200 each way... Taking two bikes to to airport will be a pain in itself but only to be relieved over the emotional uncertainties w/ having to leave your bike to the courier gods. I used an old Scicon Aerotech and its big, bulky, induces infinite cursing over having to twist and turn it just to get it into a minivan.. but it gets my bike to and through the airport w/o any damage to my bike.

If it was up to me and only up to me, then I'd likely ship one and take the more expensive bike by hand.. Note, the challenge also lies in how you would be able to move two bikes from Logan Airport to your final destination..
THE PAST: 2005 C'dale R700, 2006 Spesh S-Works Tarmac Gerolsteiner, 2009 Pinarello Dogma FPX My Way, 2011 Time RXR VIP

THE PRESENT: 2016 Colnago C60 ST01, 2017 Wilier Cento 10 Ramato, Cinelli Gazetta

THE FUTURE: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: