New bike help - Cipollini RB800 or De Rosa Superking 888

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

jonnyf

by jonnyf

I'm looking to upgrade my Wilier Izoard XP. I fancy a true made in Italy bike which I know the Cipollini is. However the De Rosa is lighter but is it also 100% made in Italy? Any pro's and cons between the two?

Thanks all!

hasbeen

by hasbeen

Add a Casati or a Sarto to your list.
Casati Vola SLi and Dolan Preffisio
viewtopic.php?f=10&t=108931" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;"
btompkins0112 wrote:
It has the H2 geo......one step racier than a hybrid bike

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Kayrehn

by Kayrehn

A Sarto will be nice, seems like a 'traditional' family business yet they have managed to come out with many interesting designs imo..

Sent from my SM-G900F using Tapatalk

kgt

by kgt

De Rosa 888 is made in China. In general the two frames are not in the same league. RB800 is a higher quality-performance frame. Monocoque, much stiffer, almost same weight.

arthurf

by arthurf

Which Superking are you looking at? IMO the only one that looks nice is the Superking E, the others look a bit meh.

Whilst I don't like Cipollini as a company, their bikes do look incredible and are even better in the flesh. After the problems with my RB800, I was told by the shop that the reps were directing prospective RB800 customers towards the Bond due to the reasonably high number of failures on the RB800. Bond is also more practical with a standard adjustable seatpost rather than the mast and has a slightly shorter top tube which helps with fit.

tinozee

by tinozee

There is a new Superking size 54 frameset for sale for $1500 on Price Point. If you fit that it's a steal sort of. Otherwise I agree with the other guys get a real deal italian made bike. Whatever you get enjoy!

tranzformer

by tranzformer

Don't fall for all the marketing of the Cipollini.

kgt

by kgt

Certainly don't fall for all the "Cipollini is all about marketing hype", it's not true.
Read the reviews, ask other owners and try one by yourself if you can.

jimaizumi

by jimaizumi

At this pt, I think you're going to have to decide on your own as there are plenty of people here that will talk down any and all brands. Frankly I would pick an King XS/RS/Active anyday over a Cippo only for the aesthetic preference.

My friend has a Cippo, Rb1k, super stiff but also very heavy.. Have not seen or riden the 888 so I can't really chime in on ride quality comparisons.. sorry!
THE PAST: 2005 C'dale R700, 2006 Spesh S-Works Tarmac Gerolsteiner, 2009 Pinarello Dogma FPX My Way, 2011 Time RXR VIP

THE PRESENT: 2016 Colnago C60 ST01, 2017 Wilier Cento 10 Ramato, Cinelli Gazetta

THE FUTURE: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

MiddMan

by MiddMan

Definitely Cipollini. Don't get me wrong, De Rosa is great and I like their Protos, but I have a lot of respect for a company that keeps it all in Italy--or France (Time) or USA (Parlee)--instead of outsourcing to Asia. I also hear the RB800 and RB1000 are great frames, and with a 10 year warranty too. Although don't expect quick service if anything happens--God forbid.

jonnyf

by jonnyf

Really appreciate your help guys. It's pretty invaluable when you're going in pretty much blind and spending this kind of money.

I was sold on the Cipollini after the campaign videos of Super Mario himself out running Taiwanese hit men on his bike and being surrounded by beautiful women. Thanks to you guys, this all seems like just an illusion. The thought of frame damage and a 13 odd week wait frightens me. I can't be off the bike for that long.

I've researched Sarto now, and I think this is definitely the way to go. I'm sure like me, you all get attached to your bikes and Sarto's history, tradition and spirit is something you'd cherish while riding.

Kayrehn

by Kayrehn

In return for the advice, please post your Sarto build when the deal is done!

Sent from my SM-G900F using Tapatalk

seaneT1

by seaneT1

Bottecchia also build their bikes in Italy...the frames at least...the forks for some reason are made in Taiwan but they are very durable.I had a high speed crash with a car with my new tourmalet,the fork didn't get a scratch and the frame broke from the inside in the downtube...I didn't notice it was broken even after racing with it for a month!! it was still so stiff and nothing seemed out of place...when I finally found out it broke,all I had to do was sent it back to Italy where they are currently fixing it...I sent it a week ago and now I'm waiting,hoping it will be back soon :) de rosa 888 is also really durable and nice for an Asian made frame, a teamate of mine has one and it survived a direct hit from a car.I have no idea about cippo's but I have hears that they are also very good bikes...so before choosing, know that there are a lot of companies to choose from out there ;)

audiojan

by audiojan

Maybe more expensive, but what about Pinarello Dogma F8? Made in Italy…. so is the Colnago C60 (which is a very, very nice bike).
"Suddenly the thought struck me; my floor is someone elses ceiling" - Nils Ferlin

kgt

by kgt

In case you are a Super Mario fan a Cipollini Bond is something you should consider.
Sarto is a good choise as well. Will be lighter but less stiff... it depends on what you like.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com