carbon wheel stiffness vs weight; racing on clinchers

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

kulivontot

by kulivontot

spectastic wrote:I had kind of a scare in today's training crit. right after the finish, a guy bumped me off the road, and the gravel was bad enough that it gave me a huge pinch flat. good thing I had ksyrium elites, which are super strong. it makes me wonder whether a carbon wheel would be able to handle an abuse like that

Where does this notion that ksyriums are super strong come from? They use super light rims that are narrower and shallower than pretty much every manufacturer out there as well as low spoke counts using proprietary spoke nipples that have a tendency to shear off inside the rim or strip the threading in the spoke socket. I've had 3 broken ksyriums in the last 2 years and in all cases the rim was unsalvageable or the cost of replacing spokes would have been too cost prohibitive to repair.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

dmulligan

by dmulligan

What temperature is considered high with respect to brake tracks? Some rim manufacturers call 210c high and another calls 240c high.

Sent from my A0001 using Tapatalk

lewdvig

by lewdvig

kulivontot wrote:
spectastic wrote:I had kind of a scare in today's training crit. right after the finish, a guy bumped me off the road, and the gravel was bad enough that it gave me a huge pinch flat. good thing I had ksyrium elites, which are super strong. it makes me wonder whether a carbon wheel would be able to handle an abuse like that

Where does this notion that ksyriums are super strong come from? They use super light rims that are narrower and shallower than pretty much every manufacturer out there as well as low spoke counts using proprietary spoke nipples that have a tendency to shear off inside the rim or strip the threading in the spoke socket. I've had 3 broken ksyriums in the last 2 years and in all cases the rim was unsalvageable or the cost of replacing spokes would have been too cost prohibitive to repair.

I'm a 200 lb rider and had a set go about 10,000 km before the free hub borked. A new pawl kit fixed it.
Road: Guru Praemio, Colnago Master X Light, Scapin EOS5, Gios Compact Evo, Pinarello Gavia, Bottechia SLX, Bianchi Vittoria
Cross: Ritchey Swiss Cross
MTB: Rocky Mountain Instinct