UPDATED (240g saved so far!) Suggestions to cut 300g from th

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

dereksmalls

by dereksmalls

mdeth1313 wrote:Just wondering- any of those ebay items have confirmed weights? You might end up disappointed with the actual weights.

The weight for the Helix stuff is confirmed. I've bought some of it and it's come bang on the advertised weight and in a couple of instances actually under weight for the bars and stem I bought

McGilli

by McGilli

dereksmalls wrote:
mdeth1313 wrote:Just wondering- any of those ebay items have confirmed weights? You might end up disappointed with the actual weights.

The weight for the Helix stuff is confirmed. I've bought some of it and it's come bang on the advertised weight and in a couple of instances actually under weight for the bars and stem I bought

Good to know thanks - it's SO much easier to plan ahead when you know the weights are accurate!

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

McGilli

by McGilli

ALL RIGHT!!!!

Thanks everyone - SO FAR since starting this thread I have now shaved 220g off my projected weight.

I've ordered the lighter Hylix saddle and seat post for a savings of 100g combined, and I have replaced the ultra shifters and derailleurs with my Force components and that has saved me exactly 120g by my scale.

In my original calculation - I never added the weight for the actual steel brake and derailleur cables, so I weighed all those and it's 40g combined - added :(

STILL!!!

I am trying to get my bike weight to 5443g which would basically be 11.99lbs...

Currently it's at 5579. That's everything - down to the last bolt.

~150g is all i need to shave off.

I've removed the derailleurs and shifters and saddle and seat post from the original list.

Also - I will not buy new pedals - so I removed those

Here is what's left to work with...

Jag wire Shifter Cable Housing - 34g
Jag wire brake Cable Housing - 64g
Bontrager XXX clone Bottle cage x2 - 30g
KMC X11SL Chain - 228g
Planet X CNC Calipers - 182g
Headset/bearings - 64g
FSA BB - 79g
FSA K Light Crank (no rings) - 420g
FSA CSI OS-99 Stem - 138g
TUFO Light 195 Tubulars x2 - 390g

Some people have mentioned lighter stem - looking into that although I'd prefer carbon instead of alloy.

Also looking into SRAM RED XG1190 cassette...
Last edited by McGilli on Fri Jun 26, 2015 5:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.

McGilli

by McGilli

Anyone recommend other tubular tires that are sub 200g?

I come from the world of clinchers. And all my life - all I have ever heard is "if you want light wheels and tires, you MUST run tubulars"... I have been running the exact same clincher/tube combo for 3 years now. On my scale - the pair is exactly 300g.

I'm having a hard time finding any tubulars that are even under 250g, let alone 200g... So - I guess I'm just kind of... confused about the whole tubular 'weight advantage'. so - just wondering if anyone knows of any decent sub 200g tubular tires aside from Conti and Tufo who are the only brands I can really find weights for. Thanks!

lannes

by lannes

McGilli wrote:Anyone recommend other tubular tires that are sub 200g?

I come from the world of clinchers. And all my life - all I have ever heard is "if you want light wheels and tires, you MUST run tubulars"... I have been running the exact same clincher/tube combo for 3 years now. On my scale - the pair is exactly 300g.

I'm having a hard time finding any tubulars that are even under 250g, let alone 200g... So - I guess I'm just kind of... confused about the whole tubular 'weight advantage'. so - just wondering if anyone knows of any decent sub 200g tubular tires aside from Conti and Tufo who are the only brands I can really find weights for. Thanks!

The only real option sub 200g are the Tufo Elite Jet <160g

mdeth1313

by mdeth1313

The extralite stem will drop 40-50g off. If you go carbon ax or mcfk will come in around the same weight for a lot more money.
Speedplay is the devil!

4ibanez

by 4ibanez

I have an AX Rigid stem which is great, but agree the Extralite stem would be a cheaper alternative and one of your best ways to shave some grams/$.

Think your cheapest g/$ could be with the bottle cages, get some ultra light BTP/Tune and you could save a good amount, especially if that's 30g per cage. Even if it's 30g for the pair, you could save 17-20g depending on the cage you go for. I bought BTP uni cages off Dulight.

Some decent savings to be made on the brakes, but you're talking some serious $$$

Feels weird to give my advice/opinion when my Tarmac SL4 is still over 6kg! :oops:

RChevalier

by RChevalier

You can save around 20g with the SRAM 1190 cassette in the same gear ratio, and I'd do it anyways just to save yourself some potential headache.

I'd look at maybe taking a closer look at your current headset and take each component and weigh.
FSA SL ACB bearings may drop you another 15g combined for top/bottom and Extralite Ultrastar may drop you another 10g depending on your current set up.

McGilli

by McGilli

RChevalier wrote:You can save around 20g with the SRAM 1190 cassette in the same gear ratio, and I'd do it anyways just to save yourself some potential headache.

DONE - XG 1190 11-25 ordered....
Last edited by McGilli on Fri Jun 26, 2015 5:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.

KarlC

by KarlC

HYLIX Super Light Carbon Water Bottle Cage 11g for $30

Keep in mind you have to use flat screws and these will only fit a standard water bottle not the fatter Camelbak bottle

http://www.ebay.com/itm/HYLIX-Super-Lig ... 51c751b8a4

Or these 5g cages ......

viewtopic.php?f=3&t=132403
C64 My Sixty 4 SR EPS 12

aaric

by aaric

The three sets of planet x calipers I've had have come in at 200-210 grams with pads. Might make sure you are accounting for pad weights in your build. Hard to beat them on a cost per gram perspective with their relative performance though.

McGilli

by McGilli

aaric wrote:The three sets of planet x calipers I've had have come in at 200-210 grams with pads. Might make sure you are accounting for pad weights in your build. Hard to beat them on a cost per gram perspective with their relative performance though.

No worries. My weight listed for them is just the callipers. My Black Prince pads are 30g and listed separately on my inventory :) Still, thanks!

lannes

by lannes

Powercordz Swift outers, liners and inners

Much lighter than traditional outers and inners

https://fairwheelbikes.com/power-cordz- ... -5927.html

sandman001

by sandman001

Here is seatpost I used on my current build.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/130g-27-2x350mm ... 4d330f881d

It came in at 126 grams, and after cutting got weight down to 111 grams.. :D

They come in matt and gloss finish

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

lannes

by lannes

sandman001 wrote:Here is seatpost I used on my current build.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/130g-27-2x350mm ... 4d330f881d

It came in at 126 grams, and after cutting got weight down to 111 grams.. :D

They come in matt and gloss finish

Funny name for a seatpost