UPDATED (240g saved so far!) Suggestions to cut 300g from th

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

glepore

by glepore

That exact post is available for 39 bucks if you search a bit. Seller is carbon-cycle. Happy with mine, even lighter with a carbon cradle.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Cysco Ti custom Campy SR mechanical (6.9);Berk custom (5.6); Serotta Ottrott(6.8) ; Anvil Custom steel Etap;1996 Colnago Technos Record

jpanspac

by jpanspac

Have you considered KCNC titanium cables?
My favorite components are the ones I never have to think about.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Qman

by Qman

McGilli wrote:Anyone recommend other tubular tires that are sub 200g?

I come from the world of clinchers. And all my life - all I have ever heard is "if you want light wheels and tires, you MUST run tubulars"... I have been running the exact same clincher/tube combo for 3 years now. On my scale - the pair is exactly 300g.

I'm having a hard time finding any tubulars that are even under 250g, let alone 200g... So - I guess I'm just kind of... confused about the whole tubular 'weight advantage'. so - just wondering if anyone knows of any decent sub 200g tubular tires aside from Conti and Tufo who are the only brands I can really find weights for. Thanks!

If you're going for a bike that's used regularly, then sub 200g tubulars aren't what you need. They would be used for competitions on extremely clean roads. In real-world riding you would likely get lots of flats.

The point of tubulars is the weight savings due the the tires PLUS the lighter rims. Most people run 250g to 275g tires. You should be able to save around 200g on the pair of rims when compared to similar clinchers. That saves you around 300g total.

lannes

by lannes

Qman wrote:
McGilli wrote:Anyone recommend other tubular tires that are sub 200g?

I come from the world of clinchers. And all my life - all I have ever heard is "if you want light wheels and tires, you MUST run tubulars"... I have been running the exact same clincher/tube combo for 3 years now. On my scale - the pair is exactly 300g.

I'm having a hard time finding any tubulars that are even under 250g, let alone 200g... So - I guess I'm just kind of... confused about the whole tubular 'weight advantage'. so - just wondering if anyone knows of any decent sub 200g tubular tires aside from Conti and Tufo who are the only brands I can really find weights for. Thanks!

If you're going for a bike that's used regularly, then sub 200g tubulars aren't what you need. They would be used for competitions on extremely clean roads. In real-world riding you would likely get lots of flats.

The point of tubulars is the weight savings due the the tires PLUS the lighter rims. Most people run 250g to 275g tires. You should be able to save around 200g on the pair of rims when compared to similar clinchers. That saves you around 300g total.

I actually haven't had any flats with the Tufo's elite jet <160 which I use for everday riding, even though they are light, there is still a puncture protection layer
Riding them at the lowest recommended pressure 140psi helps with the ride quality.
They use a they use a butyl rubber pressure containment layer with butyl material lining the inside of the tire casing, this seems gives the sealant a better seal if there is a puncture.
The issue with them is obviously the durability, they don't last as long as tyres with a thicker tread depth.
Aging the tubular does help with durability

The conti comps on the other hand were giving me all sort of trouble with punctures.
The Tufo's aren't going to ride as well as the Veloflex Extreme's but they are 65g lighter

sanrensho

by sanrensho

sandman001 wrote:Here is seatpost I used on my current build.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/130g-27-2x350mm ... 4d330f881d

It came in at 126 grams, and after cutting got weight down to 111 grams.. :D

They come in matt and gloss finish

Can you (or anyone else) confirm that this style of seatpost works with carbon oval rails? Without requiring a modified cradle/yokes?

Thanks.

glepore

by glepore

I'm using one with an Arione cx. It clamps vertically-the seatposts that have trouble with oval rails clamp horizontally, and the rail slots tend not to be 9mm high.
Cysco Ti custom Campy SR mechanical (6.9);Berk custom (5.6); Serotta Ottrott(6.8) ; Anvil Custom steel Etap;1996 Colnago Technos Record

sanrensho

by sanrensho

^^^Thanks Greg!

sanrensho

by sanrensho

glepore wrote:That exact post is available for 39 bucks if you search a bit. Seller is carbon-cycle. Happy with mine, even lighter with a carbon cradle.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Greg, would you mind posting or sending me a link to the $39 seatpost you have? The same style of seatpost from carbon-cycle appears to be over 200 grams (400mm length ).

http://stores.ebay.com/carboncycle?_dmd=2&_nkw=seatpost

Thanks.

glepore

by glepore

Its the post you linked. Cut down to around 200mm for road use, it weighed in at around 125 g (I sub'd a carbon cradle as well). Hylix advertises the same post in t700 at 69 bucks at 156g for 400mm. Looking at the carbon-cycle post, it would appear that it may have a thin layer of alu wrapped in carbon. So yeah, it might be worth the extra for the hylix version if you need the length, but not the 120 for the post originally linked. Or not...I didn't weigh the post before I cut it down. The cradle saves maybe 5-10 grams, but I had it already.

sanrensho

by sanrensho

^^^Thanks!