UPDATED (240g saved so far!) Suggestions to cut 300g from th

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

McGilli

by McGilli

Hi everyone. I am starting my build very soon - and I started an introductory post in the intro forum - but I thought this would be better suited here to keep my build page clean and more focused.

Here are all the parts I have that can either be replaced, or 'tuned' - and their weights.

I have my build estimated at 5751g.

I would LOVE to get it down to just under 5433g (12b)

So that means about 300g need to go. I do still need to cut the fork tube, the seat post and my bars - but can't until I start putting it together.

So if there is anything on this list that can be 'tuned' or replaced with lighter alternatives - please let me know. Right now, money is tight - so this is more of a wish list for me. I hope to get some ideas and options that I can work towards to make my WW build happen! If there are any links on this sire that would be if interest please let me know!

Thanks in advance!

On Hand:

UPDATED W/ 41g SAVED - Seat Post Uncut w/hardware@400mm - 159g instead of 200g@350
Jag wire Shifter Cable Housing - 34g
Jag wire brake Cable Housing - 64g
UPDATED (now using Force) 336g instead of 426g
Time Iclic Titan Pedals - 180g
Headset Spacers 12mm - 5g
Bontrager XXX clone Bottle cage x2 - 30g
UPDATED (now using Force) Front Derailleur - 83g instead of 87g
UPDATED (now using force) Rear Derailleur - 169g instead of 199g
UPDATED (now using xg 1190 11-25 Cassette) - 156g instead 176g
KMC X11SL Chain - 228g
Planet X CNC Calipers - 182g
Headset/bearings - 64g
FSA BB - 79g
FSA K Light Crank (no rings) - 420g
FSA CSI OS-99 Stem - 138g

Yet To Receive:

UPDATED W/ 48g SAVED - Saddle - 92g instead of 140g
Bontrager XXX Clone bars 40cm - 210g
Doval 36/50 Chain rings - ?
Last edited by McGilli on Fri Jun 26, 2015 5:17 pm, edited 7 times in total.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

McGilli

by McGilli

UPDATE: Just found a seat post that is 50g lighter than the one that came with my bike.

It's 159g at 400mm length compared to 200g at 350mm length.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/351425154246?_t ... EBIDX%3AIT

Ordered.

Stolichnaya

by Stolichnaya

It would help to know what frameset you are considering.
If painted, you could sand it down and drop weight there.
Bolt tuning is a nice easy way to drop some weight.
Lightweight top cap and compression plug (Extralite, MCFK, Tune)
Stem probably has a good 30 to 40 grams of savings depending on length needed if you go with an UNO (which fits your budget)

wombus

by wombus

McGilli wrote:On Hand:

UPDATED - Seat Post Uncut w/hardware 400mm - 159g
Jag wire Shifter Cable Housing - 34g
Jag wire brake Cable Housing - 64g
Ultegra 6800 Shifters - 426g
Time Iclic Titan Pedals - 180g
Headset Spacers 12mm - 5g
Bontrager XXX clone Bottle cage x2 - 30g
Ultegra 6800 Front Derailleur - 87g
Ultegra 6800 Rear Derailleur - 199g
Dura Ace 9000 12-25 Cassette - 176g
KMC X11SL Chain - 228g
Planet X CNC Calipers - 182g
Headset/bearings - 64g
FSA BB - 79g
FSA K Light Crank (no rings) - 420g
FSA CSI OS-99 Stem - 138g

Yet To Receive:

Saddle from China - 140g
Bontrager XXX Clone bars 40cm - 210g
Doval 36/50 Chain rings - ?

a Sram 1190 11-25 cassette is 155g (also more durable than dura-ace)

Dura Ace shifters are 365g

emcardle

by emcardle

Continental Supersonic Tubes/other light tubes can shed a bit of weight.

McGilli

by McGilli

Thanks guys for the suggestions! Keep them coming....

UPDATE: I just found a saddle that will save me ~50g

http://www.ebay.com/itm/121117921918

Ordered

McGilli

by McGilli

Stolichnaya wrote:It would help to know what frameset you are considering.
If painted, you could sand it down and drop weight there.
Bolt tuning is a nice easy way to drop some weight.
Lightweight top cap and compression plug (Extralite, MCFK, Tune)
Stem probably has a good 30 to 40 grams of savings depending on length needed if you go with an UNO (which fits your budget)

Thanks! Oh - Sorry - I took the frame off the list since I didn't think there was much I could do with it. It's a R5Ca clone. Currently I want to keep the paint - while I want to go as light as I can - there are a few aesthetic choices I want to keep for my vision :)

Thanks for the info on the stem!

KarlC

by KarlC

Hylix also has handlebars on Ebay at 180 grams
C64 My Sixty 4 SR EPS 12

KheSanh

by KheSanh

I went for a SRAM Force groupset except for the crankset and front derailleur which is Ultegra. Would help you get close: http://www.totalcycling.com/en/Componen ... /cc-8.aspx

McGilli

by McGilli

KheSanh wrote:I went for a SRAM Force groupset except for the crankset and front derailleur which is Ultegra. Would help you get close: http://www.totalcycling.com/en/Componen ... /cc-8.aspx

Ahhhh and I have Force 22 on my 19lb Cyclocross bike! Hmmmm I could save ~130g by just swapping the shifters and rear derailleur... Thanks for the info!

mdeth1313

by mdeth1313

Just wondering- any of those ebay items have confirmed weights? You might end up disappointed with the actual weights.
Speedplay is the devil!

prebsy

by prebsy

you could save 30 grams with an Uno7 stem, should cost about $30 so good $/gram.

It's gonna be tough to dramatically improve the rest of your build without a totally different grouppo. You've really gotten to the weight down on a lot of these parts to where you are going to be experiencing some serious diminishing returns.

I own a set of doval aero R 52/38.....they are not light

McGilli

by McGilli

mdeth1313 wrote:Just wondering- any of those ebay items have confirmed weights? You might end up disappointed with the actual weights.

I'd say - for the most part I'm always pretty happy with the results. This is my 5th bike I'm building - and most of my bikes have a large amount of parts from China. Usually they post a weight then +/- a range - and it's always fallen within that range. Usually on the + a few grams - but not always. On Aliexpress it's much easier to gauge the situation as you can read the feedback for a specific product and see what the buyers say about the weight - Ebay is tougher because the feedback is all grouped into one category for no matter how many different products they sell...

Always, fingers crossed :)

McGilli

by McGilli

prebsy wrote:you could save 30 grams with an Uno7 stem, should cost about $30 so good $/gram.

It's gonna be tough to dramatically improve the rest of your build without a totally different grouppo. You've really gotten to the weight down on a lot of these parts to where you are going to be experiencing some serious diminishing returns.

I own a set of doval aero R 52/38.....they are not light

I hear you about the poin of diminishing returns... However, there have already been a few great suggestions here - and that's what I'm looking for. I don't expect much more - but I'm so close to getting <12lbs I figured I had to try :)

Ok, I ordered the Doval Light rings - so I hope they aren't too bad. I currently have the 50/34 rings that came with the FSA crank - and together they weigh 163g. Hoping the Doval are close.

In the end though - This is a bike to be ridden so it has to be practical.

So for that matter - as much as I am sooooooo tempted to swap my SRAM Force onto this bike to save some weight... Ugh... I really dislike SRAM shifting. Like, a lot. So I might just eat that weight on the Ultegra as this project winds down - and then just be happy with what I have :) Oh, and then actually ride it instead of scouring the net for parts every day :)

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

KheSanh

by KheSanh

McGilli wrote:
KheSanh wrote:I went for a SRAM Force groupset except for the crankset and front derailleur which is Ultegra. Would help you get close: http://www.totalcycling.com/en/Componen ... /cc-8.aspx

Ahhhh and I have Force 22 on my 19lb Cyclocross bike! Hmmmm I could save ~130g by just swapping the shifters and rear derailleur... Thanks for the info!

Don't think you can run Force levers with Ultegra calipers but the front derailleur works fine.