Sticky 9000 rear brake cable

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

432r

by 432r

Bike is less than a year old, low miles also. I had new dura ace 9000 installed throughout including cables/housing. The rear brake has become very 'sticky' and makes a squeaking noise when I pull on it, and also it requires more force than usual. You can feel the cable 'stepping' as you squeeze harder. Seems like the friction and noise is coming from the front end of the bike but hard to tell.

What's the solution? How can this be happening after < 12 months. My other bikes have gone 3 years or more before needing to look at cables etc. I would have thought cables should go for at least a couple of years before needing replacing. Is it the housing or the cable itself? Can I relube it? With what grease or lube?
Quite annoyed as I haven't even had my first tuneup since buying the bike as only around 1000kms on it.
Many thanks

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Calnago
In Memoriam

by Calnago

Haven't seen too many issues with the rear brake cable but the rear dérailleur cable is notorious for fraying at the sharp bend as it comes out of the 9000 shifter. Seems every 3-4 months or so for a regular rider.
I would start by replacing the cable and see if that sorts it out. That coating comes off and while Shimano may say it doesn't matter, that is only true in an ideal world with no dust and grit and water ingress. Mix that soft fluffy frayed coating that's come off with those ingredients and you have a fine yucky mess. Replacing just the cable assumes you've got no obvious routing issues either, which should be addressed first if possible.
Colnago C64 - The Naked Build; Colnago C60 - PR99; Trek Koppenberg - Where Emonda and Domane Meet;
Unlinked Builds (searchable): Colnago C59 - 5 Years Later; Trek Emonda SL Campagnolo SR; Special Colnago EPQ

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

goodboyr

by goodboyr

The 9000 polymer cables require specific ferrules that have lead in tubes. If you don't use them, the cable rubs the sharp edges of regular ferrules and this causes the polymer thread to bunch up and stick. My guess is that regular ferrules are on your bike instead of the shimano ones with the lead in tubes.

432r

by 432r

Dam it. I did fee that I was dealing with a Dodgy bike shop. I paid for Dura housing and cables. Infuriated.

Pottsy

by Pottsy

Your cables should not last years.
Replace them every year, even if they feel fine. Preventative maintenance.

What frame is it on?

432r

by 432r

The cables and housing have done 1000km. Should they last longer than that? I have done 10000 on 6700, no fraying and starting to get a bit stiffer so will replace soon. I didn't think 10,000 would be out of the question.
Ridley noah.

Just by looking at my cables is there anyway to tell whether the housings are dura 9000?

goodboyr

by goodboyr

Can you see the lead in tubes on the ferrules? Or does the bike have internal cabling?

432r

by 432r

Ok. Cables appear slightly brown in Colour - good news (may well be 9000) +1
Can see lead in tubes inside the caliper / I gather these are exclusive to dura 9000 +1
Barrel adjustors have been installed (could mean cheap aftermarket cable sleeves at the front). Sleeves are marked 'LE' -1
Yes - bike has internal routing though top tube to rear of bike for rear brake;
Rear derailleur cable is marked Ot-sp41, which I gather is 9000.

goodboyr

by goodboyr

I guess the only way is to replace and see what's wrong. It's not that hard to learn to do this yourself.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

432r

by 432r

I guess so. Both my bikes have internal routing. Max pain.