Time trial front wheel selection

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

tcramer

by tcramer

My wife is during a 26 k time trial on a circular route, however chances are that there will be mostly sidewinds. The route is hilly. She can choose between the following front wheels:
2009 zipp 808 Vittoria Corsa Evo CX 21 mm tubular
2011 zipp 808 firecrest carbon clincher with Continental Attack, 22 mm and latex tube
2013 Enve 8.9 smart 85 mm front Wheel with Vittoria Corsa SL 24 mm tubular
2013 HED Jet 7 front Wheel with Continental Attack, 22 mm and latex tube.
I have a feeling that the Enve wheels it quite fast, but also the 808 firecrest looks fast with the Attack 22 mm, it actually measures 23 mm, but the profile seems very good and the transition to the rim also seems good.

Please come with your opinion based on experience, test or just feeling, everything Counts:-)
Bring the mountains to Denmark!!

Grill

by Grill

The 2009 808 will be fastest and no/very low yaw due to be the narrowest. With wind I'd go with either the 2013 808 or Enve 8 as there won't be much in it.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

maggierose
Shop Owner

by maggierose

HED Jet 7 for me.

I don't like riding in aerobars with rim depths of over 65mm; I feel more secure and confident of my handling abilities with (I'm 68kg) a shallower front. All of these are fast wheels and HED has the BEST braking surface assuming she will have to stop and slow due to hills etc. If no braking is required and no wind is present you have a lot of options. Real world = HED. Even in a vacuum you'd be splitting hairs with these options.

WMW
in the industry

by WMW

If the Enve had a Crono 22 I'd probably pick it, but the Firecrest or Jet with an Attack should be fastest. I'd turn the Attack backwards so the grooves are perpendicular to the flow coming over the tire at yaw. Swiss Side's testing indicated that this should help.

All good choices BTW. Really just splitting hairs.
formerly rruff...

sawyer

by sawyer

I would go with one of the tubulars, and I guess given the age difference, and the better handling on a wider tyre, the ENVE would probably get the vote, though tbh I would not be fussed between that and the 808 tubular ...

The Vittoria 21mm CX tubular as a front tyre runs slightly wide and is actually very fast
----------------------------------------
Stiff, Light, Aero - Pick Three!! :thumbup:

Grill

by Grill

The Crono 22 is much faster than the Vittoria CX...

davidalone

by davidalone

you haven't given much info...
how heavy is your wife? is she a good bike handler? how strong are the sidewinds?

mimason

by mimason

^ This plus the recommendations further up.

All great options but I'm 85kg right now and those wheels are what I would ride. I've seen and heard about many men and women getting knocked off their bikes, across lanes, and into other riders in gusty crosswinds. If she is a good bike handler and rides in these conditions, great...otherwise sub 65 depth maybe even 50s. Plus, its not a long TT.

sawyer

by sawyer

Grill wrote:The Crono 22 is much faster than the Vittoria CX...

The crono is faster yes, though that doesn't appear to be an option

My impression Corsas get faster as the tread wears ... I think this is supported by A.Morrison's data IIRC ... a smooth 21mm Corsa on an old narrow rim (e.g. Bora) feels fast ...
----------------------------------------
Stiff, Light, Aero - Pick Three!! :thumbup:

Grill

by Grill

They may have a half decent Crr after a while, by from a CdA standpoint they're a disaster. For a fast tub on a budget, the Challenge Crono is the nuts.

de zwarten

by de zwarten

It depends on curves and road surface, too.

I feel I am much more comfortable on the aero bars when I have a slightly wider and more comfortable tyre / tubular.

In this way, I spend more time in the best aero position, even going through the no-brake curves like that. And my back can hold it longer.

Grill

by Grill

22mm is plenty wide and comfy for a tub. 19-20mm where it's at.

DavidMLee

by DavidMLee

HED stinger 6 for me!
Legend HT 9.5 RED 22
Colnago C60 Super Record
S-Works Tarmac 2016 eTap
S-Works Tarmac 2015 DA
Cervelo R3 2015 UT
Cervelo S2 2014 UT
Spesh Venge Elite 105

audiojan

by audiojan

The only one I would not use would be the 2009 808's… they are quite susceptible to cross wind push. I would think the other 3 are pretty much on par (I do like ENVE SES wheels as they tend to be quite good in cross winds, but so are the wider profile Zipp's and HED's).

My wheel choice for TT's, Tri's, Du's are ENVE 6.7's or HED Jet 90 with JET Disc (the older narrow rims, but they work well for me). It depends on the race course, race condition and if it's draft legal or not.
"Suddenly the thought struck me; my floor is someone elses ceiling" - Nils Ferlin

BeeSeeBee

by BeeSeeBee

^ Enve's own marketing material, despite how they tried to spin it, showed the Zipps far less susceptible to crosswinds than their SES series. They're trying to highlight the near-linear consistency, but look at the differences in steering torque magnitude. Just another consideration. I'd do the 808FC or HEDs due to the tires.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com