question about sram red 22 shifters , well two questions.

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

nathanong87
Resident master of GIF

by nathanong87

1. So the body of my left shifter broke in transit to another country. Can i buy a left sram 22 force shifter and swap the levers (both brake and shift paddles) ?

2. Is 10 speed red (new style) left shifter identical to the sram 22 shifter? or is there a slight difference in 'pull'. I remember there being a change from YAW 10 speed to YAW 11 speed, but is the left shifter changed? besides the little '22' logo?

merci.

stormur

by stormur

1. technically - yes, practically, no. Just buy new shifter. ( it's not Campagnolo ) . Just save time, money and nerves.
2. pull is same.
Go to Heaven for the climate, Hell for the company.
Mark Twain

I can be wrong, and have plenty of examples for that ;)

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

racersir

by racersir

1. i would just get a new Red shifter
2. Pull is the same

Frankie - B
Admin - In the industry

by Frankie - B

You can also go to a shop that preferably sells sram and have them call with the DSD Dealer Service Direct. They can probably send your shifter away for a quick rebuild. Sram is awesome with their service.
'Tape was made to wrap your GF's gifts, NOT hold a freakin tire on.'
If you want to see 'meh' content of me and my bike you can follow my life in pictures here!

grover

by grover

When that happened to me from a crash I just bought a new shifter body from SRAM (40 dollar part), pulled all the parts off my broken shifter body and installed them on my new shifter body. Took me 45minutes then. I've done it a few times since and reckon it'd take me 15-30 mins now. Much easier rebuild than a campy shifter.

If SRAM can't supply just the shift body just buy a CX1 lever (no shift internals). Much cheaper and shift body is the same to my knowledge. They definitely have the hollow to allow shift internals to be installed. Not sure if all the mouldings are there though. I'll check my CX1 lever tonight and let you know.

Cosmo

by Cosmo

stormur wrote:2. pull is same.

FD pull on Red 10 and Red 22 is slightly different. Just enough to not be fully cross compatible.

Best option is have a shop contact a SRAM DSD for a repair price as others pointed out .
after 2 drinks I'm a loser, after 3 a star

Frankie - B
Admin - In the industry

by Frankie - B

It sounds like you work at sram, Cosmo ;) Front pull might be ever so slightly different, it still works. I'm riding with first gen red shifters and a yaw front der.
'Tape was made to wrap your GF's gifts, NOT hold a freakin tire on.'
If you want to see 'meh' content of me and my bike you can follow my life in pictures here!

aaric

by aaric

I'd be real surprised if there were any differences in the ergodynamic shifters except the cylinder in the right shifter that controls the number and spacing of shifts.

I've had them both apart and have swapped levers between the 10 and 11s red shifters and the construction and shapes are identical to the eye. From a manufacturing standpoint it would cost them a lot more money as well to make them different.

I'd even go as far to say that the only difference between the red and force 22 shifters is the substitution of titanium parts and some paint - most of the savings which will come from the clamps that go around the bars.

Krackor

by Krackor

I'm also using an old Sram shifter (Apex 10-speed, ~2013) with a Yaw FD. Works great.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

nathanong87
Resident master of GIF

by nathanong87

darn, i already bought just the left shifter new. oh well! thanks for the knowledge everyone !