Anyone riding ROLF WHEELS here?

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

g32ecs

by g32ecs

I'm strongly considering one of their Aluminum weenie offerings but I'm wondering if the published weights are identical or close to real/actual weight?

Thanks.

MiddMan

by MiddMan

Coincidentally I was wondering myself who rides Rolf earlier today. I don't know much about the aluminium though from what I've read about the carbons the are slightly heavier than advertised. Seems to be the case with a lot of components/companies nowadays for some reason. I'm also in the market but their spokes worry me, do you know their weight limit or recommendations?

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

g32ecs

by g32ecs

It's all listed on their site.

Did a quick research with the Vigor Alphas and RBA weighed them at 1578g , 128 over published weight.

Very disapointing if you ask me.

prebsy

by prebsy

HAHAHAHA not since 1999.
But seriously I looked into Rolf before. I found the technology didn't justify their prices. Cool and unique LOOKING wheels but that is about it.

martinSL
Shop Owner

by martinSL

Myself and a bunch of guys on my team ride\race on Rolfs. I am on carbon clinchers - ARES4 and ARES6, MTB Ralos CXC and 4CX carbon tubies for CX. All excellent. ARES are converted to tubeless and work like a charm. Few more guys are on carbons and all really enjoy them.
Few teammates use aluminum Vigor and Elan ones and all are super happy.
I used Reynolds, ZIPPs and now am on Rolfs. Did not care about ZIPPs at all (well, I still have their disc and this one is very good). Reynolds were very good. Rolfs are top class IMHO.
Rolf spin forever (at least my wheels), are very stiff, weight is on the money, stay true after serious bump riding, and need only occasional (and easily done) hub/bearing adjustement
Very solid wheels, good support from Rolf when needed, and a local company - just across the state border (as we do not support buying direct from China - a simple rule and a preference.)
Highly recommended.
Martin
----------------------------------------------
Racing and Training Cycling Tires
www.tiremaniacs.com

go4custom

by go4custom

I have been riding their ARES 4SL tubulars and have enjoyed every minute of them. Solid solid wheels, especially on horrible Sonoma Co. roads. They roll very smooth, since their hubs (highest end models) are 100% made by White Industries. I would especially look at their Vigor or Elan Alphas.

g32ecs

by g32ecs

martinSL wrote:Myself and a bunch of guys on my team ride\race on Rolfs. I am on carbon clinchers - ARES4 and ARES6, MTB Ralos CXC and 4CX carbon tubies for CX. All excellent. ARES are converted to tubeless and work like a charm. Few more guys are on carbons and all really enjoy them.
Few teammates use aluminum Vigor and Elan ones and all are super happy.
I used Reynolds, ZIPPs and now am on Rolfs. Did not care about ZIPPs at all (well, I still have their disc and this one is very good). Reynolds were very good. Rolfs are top class IMHO.
Rolf spin forever (at least my wheels), are very stiff, weight is on the money, stay true after serious bump riding, and need only occasional (and easily done) hub/bearing adjustement
Very solid wheels, good support from Rolf when needed, and a local company - just across the state border (as we do not support buying direct from China - a simple rule and a preference.)
Highly recommended.
Martin

are the weights bang on? mind weighing one (just subtract whatever's included on the wheel)?

thanks

martinSL
Shop Owner

by martinSL

g32ecs wrote:are the weights bang on? mind weighing one (just subtract whatever's included on the wheel)?
thanks

I am on this forum as I count every gram and I weighted all purchased products when they arrived. They (Rolf hoops) were not spot on but no more than 15 grams over. Yes, all of them were over (did not weight the Ralos CXC) but within my tolerance limit. Almost everything else I buy and sell is same. Manufacturers notoriously provide their bare minimum weights. Out of 100 tires I sell maybe 5 are close to manufacturer approximated advertised weight; 95 are over. Pedals are almost always spot on but rarely below advertised. Bars and stems are almost always few grams over. Frames (will not disclose manufacturers) my team has been buying are almost always over. IMHO Rolf does not cheat the clients purposefully - weight is darn close and the quality of the product is well worth being (potentially) few grams over
----------------------------------------------
Racing and Training Cycling Tires
www.tiremaniacs.com

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com